New carpet inspires hifi upgrade

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Hello all. My CDP / Amp / Turntable currently reside in a purpose built cupboard with the cabling going under the suspended timber floor to a central location under the TV, where the cables come up through a hole to the TV / PS3 / Skybox / Speakers. It’s all very neat and there are very few visible cables.

However I’m now considering getting some carpet for the living room which will require the gear to be moved to a suitable hifi rack on the other side of the room.

As part of the general relocation / improvements in the room I’m considering making the following changes:-

Upgrading the Beresford Caiman to a Rega DAC – I use the Caiman for streaming Spotify Premium and iTunes (via iMac) from Ipad via AE to my AVI Lab Series Integrated.

Adding a BK XXLS 400 DF Sub – my AVI Duos are very good but I’ve always hankered after more bass.

Relocating my Project Debut TT, AVI Lab Series CDP and Integrated to a Blok Stax 4 shelf rack.

I’m thinking that the carpet will improve the room acoustics as well as the more obvious upgrades related to the sub and DAC. Also think I’ll use my turntable more often in its new easy-to-access location.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions for possible alternatives I should consider? Is the Rega a worthy upgrade from the Caiman? Would an Audiolab M-Dac be better? Is an XXLS 400 overkill for music only?

Thanks.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dave, if I were you I'd just get a big rug for the centre of the room, forget the DAC and the Blok rack and spend the money on the new Nikon D800.

Thanks, think I'll do just that.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Dave, sorry there seems to be such a lack of response.....your thread certainly went completely under my radar.

- When I went from a laminate floor to a carpeted one, it greatly improved the sound, as the room was too "live" before.

- IMO Hifi sounds more organic when placed on wood (controversial, I know), so I would prefer something like that from HiFi Racks.......though not the biggest area to worry about.

- I thoroughly agree with the idea of the Rega Dac......if you want a more analytical approach, look to the Audiolab.

- BK (imo) make the best VFM subs out there......so another good idea. Whether the BK XLS 400 is too much depends on the size of the room, your personal taste and how well your speakers/sub are isolated from the suspended wooden floor.

- TTs sound best on a light but solid support, or wall shelf.

- Time spent isolating speakers from the suspended floor should pay dividends. More info here -

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/auralex-subdude-hd-subwoofer-isolator

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Thanks CnoEvil, I think it will end up being a huge rug due to the issue of all the cable runs being relocated to above the floor. I want to keep them out of sight.

I'll check out your link regarding the speaker isolation, thanks again.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Here is a link that works:
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/auralex-subdude-hd-subwoofer-isolator

and http://www.whathifi.com/forum/auntie-angelinas-problem-corner/1996-noise-act

Most of your questions about the Gramma should be answered, but if not, just shout and I'll do my best. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts