New cable burn in

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Some capacitors do certainly age because they are "active" devices. Not sure it's because they are "organic" (whatever that means - no insecticides used in their production?) as all electrolytic style capacitors have this property.

Chris

You are right - what the hell would the designer of the M-DAC know about his own product? What do you mean by "active" capacitors?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You don't de-magnatise the copper, you disrupt the path of the electrons passing through it.

Lavardin - its their thing, but hey, if some believe man went to the moon why not consider this as a truth.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Killed 30 wasps that found their way into my office today, so if anyone has any more clever clichés or side-splitting witticisms, I'd like to hear them, as I need cheering up! :wall:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
You don't de-magnatise the copper, you disrupt the path of the electrons passing through it.

Lavardin - its their thing, but hey, if some believe man went to the moon why not consider this as a truth.

What on earth are you are talking about?

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think it is pretty much pseudo-babble-pants-pretend science myself. The term originated in industry and manufacturing with the need to test individual componants for failure rates before assembly. In hi-fi there was (and still is depending on the equipment) a rationale for warming up an amp for the best sound. I'm even willing to believe that speakers need some time from new to 'loosen'. But copper based cables? Absolutely not, and you may as well throw your lot in with the moonies if you claim as a 'fact' (without any actual independent and testable scientific evidence) the opposite.

As others have said it has far more (everything in fact) to do with the time it takes you to get used to a different sound and adjust to it - so is really to do with psychology than physics...

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Killed 30 wasps that found their way into my office today, so if anyone has any more clever clichés or side-splitting witticisms, I'd like to hear them, as I need cheering up! :wall:

None of the above, but the pic is quite funny (and cute).

rabbit-jumping_2327225k.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
CnoEvil said:

None of the above, but the pic is quite funny (and cute).

rabbit-jumping_2327225k.jpg
Thank you Sir.

That has certainly helped to get over the wasp swotting.....jumping makes a nice change from running round in circles.

:cheers:

Cno

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
paradiziac said:
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules

With regards to speaker cable burn in there are a few hard and fast rules. They're called the laws of physics. :) Here's a couple of basic GCSE level science facts:

1. If a cable is of a suitable guage and length and has a high purity of copper then there will be very little resistance to the flow of electrons. So long as the copper doesn't become corroded then this property will not alter over time.

2. Speaker cables do not need demagnetizing because they are made out of copper (or silver) which is not magnetic. So unless your speaker cables have a high iron, nickle or cobalt content then this is not an issue.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
With regards to speaker cable burn in there are a few hard and fast rules. They're called the laws of physics. :) Here's a couple of basic GCSE level science facts:

1. If a cable is of a suitable guage and length and has a high purity of copper then there will be very little resistance to the flow of electrons. So long as the copper doesn't become corroded then this property will not alter over time.

2. Speaker cables do not need demagnetizing because they are made out of copper (or silver) which is not magnetic. So unless your speaker cables have a high iron, nickle or cobalt content then this is not an issue.

Radio comedies were funnier once my cables had been run in.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
RobinKidderminster said:
Covenanter said:
I was using "active" in the sense that they change their characteristics when a voltage is applied. Resistors, inductors etc don't do that in any material way. That might not be the textbook definition but it is what I meant.

Chris

PS I get my knowledge from my first degreee which was in electronics. ;)

Using knowledge from my first degree and Google:
[*]Active components rely on a source of energy (usually from the DC circuit, which we have chosen to ignore) and usually can inject power into a circuit, though this is not part of the definition.[1]. Active components include amplifying components such as transistors, triode vacuum tubes (valves), and tunnel diodes.[*]Passive components can't introduce net energy into the circuit. They also can't rely on a source of power, except for what is available from the (AC) circuit they are connected to. As a consequence they can't amplify (increase the power of a signal), although they may increase a voltage or current (such as is done by a transformer or resonant circuit). Passive components include two-terminal components such as resistors, capacitors, inductors, and transformers.

If you want to be pedantic about the definition of a word that's fine. :hand: However, the point is that as some capacitors change their characteristics when a voltage is applied to them it is conceivable that they might have a "burn in" as that change of characteristics might itself be modified by use. Cables no, capacitors maybe.

Chris

Chris,

I should probably let it drop, but this is how internet 'whispers' begin and soon everyone thinks they have active capacitors.

'Active' and 'Passive' have very specific meanings in electronics (as you would know from your degree???). Transisitors are active, capacitors are passive. Calling a capacitor active is just plain wrong.

A device whose characteristics change with applied voltage is 'nonlinear', not 'active'.

Which characteristics of the capacitor did you think change with applied voltage?

A

Anonymous

As the newbie who asked this question in the first place I can honestly say I'm gonna post more dumb-ass questions if the the threads are all as funny as this one. I didn't realise the rawness of the nerve I have clearly touched. So much knowledge out there.

However, I have learnt that based upon the fact there are more naysayers than soothsayers I'm going to assume that the snake oil I have been fed by Chord is exactly that. It seems no-one really knows the answer.

Here goes then with my second question...........

Is it worth me spending a shed load of dosh on upgrading mains cables to purify the electricity coming into my house? I received a catalogue from the wizards at Russ Andrews the other day and spotted this little beauty for sale at the bargain price of £3,164!!!!!! Mind you............ you do get a whole metre of it for that. Holy Moly - what is the world coming to?

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=1564&customer_id=PAA0317092112508FZPXXWYESEILQFZG

I am now standing well back after having lit the firework that is about to go off.

A

Anonymous

[UNPUBLISHED]

I'm really pleased I asked this dumb-ass question........... it seems nobody really knows.

I didn't realise how raw the nerve was that I've apparently touched.

Here's my next dumb question........... is it worth spending a shed load of money on upgrading the mans cables to "purify" the electricity coming into my house?

I received a catalogue from the wizards at Russ Andrews the other day and spotted this little beauty on sale for the bargain price of £3,164!!!! But you do get a whole metre of it. HOLY MOLY - what is the world coming to?

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=1564&customer_id=PAA0317092112508FZPXXWYESEILQFZG

A

Anonymous

[UNPUBLISHED]

As the newbie who stated this thread off I am delighted I have joined the forum if all the threads are as entertaining as this one.

My conclusion so far is............nobody seems to know.

So, here goes with my 2nd question........... is it worth spending a shed load of money on upgrading mains cables to "purify" the electricity coming into my house to feed my hi-fi?

I received a catalogue from those wizards at Russ Andrews the other day and spotted this little beauty for sale at the bargain basement price of £3,164!!!. BUT............ you do get a whole metre of it. Holy Moly - what is the world coming to?

Discuss.......

A

Anonymous

[UNPUBLISHED]

CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:
And now back on topic...

mega-bee.jpg

....and a Megabee, philosophically, must ipso facto be more than half a bee! :help:

As the newbie who started this thread off in the first place I have to say I am delighted to have joined the forum if all the threads are as entertaining as this one.

My conclusion so far is that nobody really seems to know.

So.......... here goes with my second question.

Is it worth me spending a shed load of money upgrading mains cables to "purify" the electricity coming into my house and feeding the hi-fi?

I received a catalogue from those wizards at Russ Andrews the other day and spotted this little beauty for sale at the bargain basement price of only £3,156!!!! BUT......... you do get a whole metre of it. What is the world coming to?

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=1564&customer_id=PAA0384095912822BVEIWWTPYRDKFIJJ

Discuss..........

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
If it is an electrolytic capacitor:

When the voltage is too low, it has little capacity and leaks - a rather nonlinear resistor in part.

When the voltage is too high it goes bang and makes a terrible mess.

In the days before transistors we used them in valve amplifiers, maybe still do, possibly in amplifier power supplies? These and the valves were the main reason for putting your amplifier on for a while before using it.

Andrew

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Toon1526 said:
As the newbie who asked this question in the first place I can honestly say I'm gonna post more dumb-ass questions if the the threads are all as funny as this one. I didn't realise the rawness of the nerve I have clearly touched. So much knowledge out there.

However, I have learnt that based upon the fact there are more naysayers than soothsayers I'm going to assume that the snake oil I have been fed by Chord is exactly that. It seems no-one really knows the answer.

Is it worth me spending a shed load of dosh on upgrading mains cables to purify the electricity coming into my house? I received a catalogue from the wizards at Russ Andrews the other day and spotted this little beauty for sale at the bargain price of £3,164!!!!!! Mind you............ you do get a whole metre of it for that. Holy Moly - what is the world coming to?

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currencyGBP&pf_id=1564&customer_id=PAA0317092112508FZPXXWYESEILQFZG

I am now standing well back after having lit the firework that is about to go off.

Toon,

I see you are rather new to this. To get it all out of the way, and to save us all a lot of time:

1. Do speaker cables of the same resistance sound different? - No

2. Do cables need burn in - No

3. Does electronic equipment need burning in - No

4. Do speakers need running in - Yes, possibly, depends on the make and design of cone suspension

5. Can I trust my ears when comparing equipment - No

6. Does biwiring work - No, just the same as a single cable with twice the cross sectional area

7. What makes the biggest difference to my hifi - The room and the placement of the speakers

8. Do mains cables/balanced transformers/conditioners make any difference - No, unless your wife likes arc welding

9. Does jitter matter - Yes

10. Russ Andrews - Let the ASA do the talking:

http://asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/1/Russ-Andrews-Accessories-Ltd/TF_ADJ_49597.aspx

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Toon1526 said:

Absolutely, if you have a £192,000 CD player:

http://audionote.co.uk/articles/Audionote_CDT6-Dac_5_complete.pdf

You'll need 3 mains leads for the unit though...

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Anyone even considering a 200K CD player will have several million sloshing about. Foolish wouldn't be the first word to spring to mind.

The iniquities of the modern world, now there's a topic...

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I'd like to stay and comment more on this thread but I'm busy 'burning in' my dinner.

Yeah , but I bet it tasted better after you "burnt it in " , or did you not leave it in that long and had it when it was just " cooked , good and proper" ?

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Toon1526 said:

I like this from the notes to the "independent" tests:

Whilst we could infer that the

same level of rejection occurs in a domestic environment

(ie. when the cables are plugged into a Hi-Fi or Home

Cinema system) we are not claiming that they do.

Similarly, the graphs do not prove that the rejection

measured in the lab has a perceptible (ie audible) effect

when the cables are used in a Hi-Fi or Home Cinema

System.

Now call me a cynic but doesn't that looks like they know they can't substantiate their claims and are protecting their backsides in case somebody sues them.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts