New cable burn in

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Covenanter said:
PS You don't have to have watched QI to know about "flat earth" although, as it happens, I did see that episode. What you need is an "education" - that's where you go to school and college and learn things. :rofl:

I have not seen that episode of QI. For me, education and an ability to google. I won't let facts get in the way of Alec amusing himself tho.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dogspangle said:
They'd probably have a view on this year's wasp population, too.
smiley-laughing.gif
Don't mention wasps! :mad:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Q. What do audiophiles have in common with the 'Flat Earth Society'?

A. They're both willing to believe something dispite overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society
Not all of us though ;) I will hear the argument that 'audiophile' audio-cables make your HiFi sound better/worse/different. If someone says their amp/CDP/whatever sounds better if they don't turn it off, I'm happy to accept their opinion without feeling any need to ridicule it. I'm even open-minded to the suggestion that improving the quality of the mains-supply with better mains-cables and 'purification devices' may also improve the sound. But all this claptrap about running-in/burning-in cables is just a little too close to being 100% pure bovine excrement for even me to accept.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
steve_1979 said:

A. They're both willing to believe something dispite overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary.

Not all of us though ;) I will hear the argument that 'audiophile' audio-cables make your HiFi sound better/worse/different. If someone says their amp/CDP/whatever sounds better if they don't turn it off, I'm happy to accept their opinion without feeling any need to ridicule it. I'm even open-minded to the suggestion that improving the quality of the mains-supply with better mains-cables and 'purification devices' may also improve the sound. But all this claptrap about running-in/burning-in cables is just a little too close to being 100% pure bovine excrement for even me to accept.
:) Don't mince your words say what you think :rofl: :rofl:

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
RobinKidderminster said:
Native_bon said:
The same was said about russ andrews mains cable, that they are just a con. But it was proven that they do actually work.

Hya

I would be interested in this proof. Can you direct us to it please.

Cheers

There you go

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/accessories/russ-andrews-research-papers

Hmmn.

Let google be your friend and check further. The papers you link to were written in 2009 after the initial 2008 judgement.

There was a subsequent judgement in 2011 that upheld the complaint, so I would say the most charitable interpretation was that the claims are still unproven.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
toyota man said:
Don't mince your words say what you think :rofl: :rofl:

:) There's times when you just have to tell the emperor to put his clothes on because his hairy ass and fat beer-gut are doing nothing for his image.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
toyota man said:
Don't mince your words say what you think :rofl: :rofl:

:) There's times when you just have to tell the emperor to put his clothes on because his hairy ass and fat beer-gut are doing nothing for his image.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: as I read this post I am laughing out loud the wife thinks I am mad :) :)

idc

Burn in is measureable with speakers, it has been found in woofers in cars and cinemas (I am not aware of a purely audiophile test). What was also found is that if a speak rests and is not used for a few days, it returns to its original measurements. So the burn in process is not fixed and it varies as to the regularity of the speakers use. But how audible that burn is, is not clear. Then no connection between the change and sound quality has been shown.

To show that burn in exists with a cable you need to 'A' measure and show a change, 'B' show it is audible and 'C' show it affects SQ. So far no cable maker has done that, nor anyone else. One should ask oneself as to why that is. Why has no cable maker or anyone else who claims burn in stepped up with evidence of 'A', 'B' or 'C'?

Claims of I heard a SQ improvement with time so 'A', 'B' and 'C' must occur with burn in is appalling science and should rightly be held suspect and questioned.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
steve_1979 said:

:)

I agree that some analogue cables can sound different, some hifi equiptment might sound different when warmed up and that in a few rare cases you can get audiable interference from a mains plug socket. I also think that mains 'purification devices' could make a difference for a few people who get interference through their mains plug from things like thermostats switching on and off but there's no reason why it would make any difference for most people. However I do not believe that audiophile mains cables or digital cables will make any difference and there is overwhelming scientific evidence that confirms this.

p.s. This is all starting to sound serious again. Can we start talking about bees and wasps some more now? :grin:

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
andyjm said:
Native_bon said:
RobinKidderminster said:
Native_bon said:
The same was said about russ andrews mains cable, that they are just a con. But it was proven that they do actually work.

Hya

I would be interested in this proof. Can you direct us to it please.

Cheers

There you go

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/accessories/russ-andrews-research-papers

Hmmn.

Let google be your friend and check further. The papers you link to were written in 2009 after the initial 2008 judgement.

There was a subsequent judgement in 2011 that upheld the complaint, so I would say the most charitable interpretation was that the claims are still unproven.

Russ was fined I believe for unsubstantiated claims. We may wonder how many claims could be proved but maybe advertising authority are too busy?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Russ was fined I believe for unsubstantiated claims. We may wonder how many claims could be proved but maybe advertising authority are too busy?

They're probably dealing with all those Lynx complaints I sent in. Plus I've still yet to receive a reply on a crow's limit to orangeyness and how something could be substantiated as being "too orangey" for them. Don't fear, I will continue to hound them until I get to the truth!

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
dogspangle said:
I bet Brian Cox could settle this for sure, or one of his mates from the LHC.

They'd probably have a view on this year's wasp population, too.
smiley-laughing.gif

I bet they let the cables at the LHC burn in to get a better soundstage for the big bang :)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Covenanter said:
PS You don't have to have watched QI to know about "flat earth" although, as it happens, I did see that episode. What you need is an "education" - that's where you go to school and college and learn things. :rofl:

Yeah, jus lyk spellin n Grama n all innit? u no wot i meen?

;)

dogspangle

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
cheeseboy said:
I bet they let the cables at the LHC burn in to get a better soundstage for the big bang :)

I heard that when it was first turned on and broke down they rewired it using Russ Andrews cables and after that it worked fine.

I might get the same cables for my Rega setup then.

Not sure if the fridge freezer will get them down to 2 kelvin though.
smiley-undecided.gif

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Toon1526 said:
Is it worth me spending a shed load of dosh on upgrading mains cables to purify the electricity coming into my house? I received a catalogue from the wizards at Russ Andrews the other day and spotted this little beauty for sale at the bargain price of £3,164!!!!!! Mind you............ you do get a whole metre of it for that. Holy Moly - what is the world coming to?

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=1564&customer_id=PAA0317092112508FZPXXWYESEILQFZG

I am now standing well back after having lit the firework that is about to go off.

Putting aside for one minute wether these things work or not, how is the price justified ? It is after all just a piece of wire with plugs at either end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts