New Bowie studio album / single / vid!!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Yep, you read that right:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jan/08/david-bowie-new-album-single

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20943160

Nice Tweet by Duncan Jones:

"Would be lovely if all of you could spread the word about da's new album. First in ten years, and it's a good 'un!"

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Heard the single twice this morning. It certainly grows on you.

yes.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
What do you expect from a 66-year-old? :roll:

No, it doesn't jump-up and grab you by the Suffragette 'Cities' - it's more of a Heathen- / Reality-style piece. Thank Gawd for some dignity.

But in the current era... it's good to hear a vocal with a bit of emotion but sans any showboating.

Good to hear a vocal with decent diction - no "Sky-foals" or "crum-bawls" here.

Liking the overall slow build to an understated crescendo.

Liking the drumming.

Liking the keyboards.

Definitely a grower.

And at the last count, It's number-one in the iTunes UK chart.

Oh, and happy birthday DB - ta for the 'present'. (He's always scanning this forum, don'tcha know.)

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Bowie has always perplexed me somewhat. To draw on a line from 'Trainspotting'; a bit like Clapton and Lou Reed, in your heart you want their stuff to be great and it should be, but alas it usually ends up sounding a bit pants. Nevertheless I'm optimistically intrigued as to what the new album has in store!

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
From the snippets that I heard, I was immediately reminded of the Blue Nile.

As they are growers, this is no bad thing.

I doubt all the tracks will be similar though.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Reminded me of 'Loving the Alien' which I liked and which also had a very strange video. Lyrics are a bit of an A-Z of Berlin but the music's good and he seems to have said goodbye to Reeves Gabrels.

PS isn't there a music forum here?

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
whoam1 said:
Sospri said:
Sounds to me as if he is running out of money living in New York..............

:rofl:

I think not.

OH, your privvy to his bank account and expenditure are you ?

My point is that a lot of acts try to reserect a career when they have not been around for some time, a lot of old bands and acts try this when they have not been in the headlines for a while.

I find it a tad embarrasing to see a load of old pensioners trying to be modern..........

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
hbuus said:
Man, what a boring song.

As our engineer put it when it was on the radio yesterday "Where's the hook?". I tend to agree, I like a lot of Bowie's stuff but this seems a bit self-indulgent. No problem with the quality of the singing or musicianship, just wondering where the tune is, sounds more like an album track than a first single to me. Each to their own though! :)

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
It's understated and dignified, as mentioned above, and the Berlin topography only further enhance it for me.

I'm not exactly a Bowie diehard, but I really like it. Both video and, moreover, the actual song.

The hook is that there isn't much of a hook. Not all songs need an obvious one, do they?

On another note, I'm startled by the morning to night media coverage of this song/event. From Radio 4's Today to Newsnight and all points inbetween, no doubt, it's been a story. That's quite a coup, even for The Dame.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant said:
Good to hear a vocal with decent diction - no "Sky-foals" or "crum-bawls" here.

I do know what you mean but at least she's singing in her own accent, have you ever complained about UK singers singing in an American accent? I know I have...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
I find it a tad embarrasing to see a load of old pensioners trying to be modern..........

If I could be bothered I could find a number of words to describe this track but "modern" certainly wouldn't be among them. At least try to make your criticism relevant, perhaps if he'd thrown a dubstep break in the middle of it you might have a point but otherwise it just sounds like you're being negative for the sake of it.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
If you like it then enjoy! Other people's taste is their affair and is not for anyone to criticise. I've never "got" Bowie musically although I can see he had a great impact is terms of style. His voice was never the strongest and he sounds rather old to me on this, which of course he is. Good luck to him though!

Chris

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Who's the parrot on his shoulder in the video ?

Apparently the parrot is called Jacqueline Humphries, and she's the wife of the guy (Tony Oursler) who directed the video.
Everything is falling into place :)

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Sospri said:

If I could be bothered I could find a number of words to describe this track but "modern" certainly wouldn't be among them. At least try to make your criticism relevant, perhaps if he'd thrown a dubstep break in the middle of it you might have a point but otherwise it just sounds like you're being negative for the sake of it.

" it just sounds like you're being negative for the sake of it."

Hmmm, shades of pot and kettle spring to mind...............

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
The_Lhc said:
Sospri said:

" it just sounds like you're being negative for the sake of it."

Hmmm, shades of pot and kettle spring to mind...............

No, no, I always have a reason for my negativity and try to explain it fulsomely, your comment just looks like you're looking for anything bad to say that you can think of. Fact is accusing this track of attempting to be "modern" is clearly nonsense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts