New Bowie studio album / single / vid!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
Well your entitled to your opinion in a democracy I suppose however much its misplaced :shame:
I just watched the video and I have no idea what you are banging on about. That song/video could easily have been made 30 years ago. I don't particularly like the song, but Bowie has a perfect right to make it - if you can run a country, be a high judge or be a surgeon when you are 66 then you can certainly be a musician.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't Tin Machine his attempt to be modern?

This new one is hardly modern. So hoping that the new album is a cracker.

At least he hasn't gone down the "covers of new stuff, sung in an old voice" like others recently.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hammill said:
Sospri said:
Well your entitled to your opinion in a democracy I suppose however much its misplaced :shame:
I just watched the video and I have no idea what you are banging on about. That song/video could easily have been made 30 years ago.

I hope you realise you're wandering dangerously close to agreeing with me there... :wave:

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
hammill said:
Sospri said:
I just watched the video and I have no idea what you are banging on about. That song/video could easily have been made 30 years ago.

I hope you realise you're wandering dangerously close to agreeing with me there... :wave:
Oh that happens quite often
smiley-smile.gif
. I don't generally think you need any back up, but I found the whole ageist sentiment quite annoying.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hammill said:
The_Lhc said:
hammill said:
Sospri said:

smiley-smile.gif

Really? Might I suggest a mild solution of bleach and a stiff scrubbing brush to make you feel better? :grin:

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
hammill said:
The_Lhc said:
hammill said:
Sospri said:

smiley-smile.gif
. I don't generally think you need any back up, but I found the whole ageist sentiment quite annoying.

As I said everyone is entitled to their own opinion

, get over yourself..............

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
hammill said:
The_Lhc said:
hammill said:
Sospri said:

smiley-smile.gif

You're not going to elaborate on your opinion then?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Sospri said:
hammill said:
The_Lhc said:
hammill said:
Sospri said:

smiley-smile.gif

BTW, "their own" is a tautology. And you haven't actually expressed an opinion, merely thrown in some ill-informed and inane comments.

And who asked for your opinion? Is this thread's title, New Bowie single out today - what's your verdict? Presumptious, much :roll:

Begone, dull and witless troll.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
6th.replicant said:
Good to hear a vocal with decent diction - no "Sky-foals" or "crum-bawls" here.

I do know what you mean but at least she's singing in her own accent ...

There're many UK singers who sing in their native accent, but, unlike Ms "Cwum-balls", they also have half-decent diction / enunciation - eg, Julian Cope, Jarvis Cocker, Guy Garvey, Tim Burgess (The Charlatans), Tommy Scott (Space), Ivor Cutler, Alex Kapranos (Franz Ferdinand), The Wurzels, etc. :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I don't mind the new single, it's not the best thing he's ever done, never was going to be, but it's decent. Main thing for me is that it's good to hear something new from him, he's far too important to music to just fade away and stop making music.

I doubt the new single will be representative of the whole album, I'd personally like him to throw some real weird stuff in to the mix.

I own a lot of Bowie's classic albums, but none of the others, so I'm not a massive fan. But I have 2 friends who are obsessed with him, so I'm sure this new material is really exciting for them, and a tonic for one of them, as his father's very ill at the moment.

Nice to have you back David.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
... I doubt the new single will be representative of the whole album, I'd personally like him to throw some real weird stuff in to the mix ...

According to a BBC News interview last week with the album's producer, DB's long-standing collaborator / pal Tony Visconti, your hunch is correct - clickety

And as an aisde, the album's band comprises the regulars - Gail Ann Dorsey, Earl Slick, Sterling Campbell, Gerry Leonard, et al - who've recorded / toured with DB since the 90s.

So, if he's reunited his touring band, then maybe there'll be some live dates? :pray:

nick12

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone can see his net worth in the annual Sunday Times Rich List - i think it's estimated at around £140m. So even if they are 50% out, the idea of Bowie "running out of money" was as ludicrous as it was witless.

This isn't the Sex Pistols reforming for the cash, nor is it the undignified spectacle of OAPs like Jagger/McCartney/Elton John prancing around on stage to feed their bloated egos. Bowie has nothing to prove and only issues the records he wants to make, when he wants to make them. And after a ten year absence, this IS big news, like it or not.

Producer Tony Visconti has confirmed that Bowie will never give any more interviews or concerts, and also mentioned that up until two years ago, Bowie had told him categorically that he had no desire to make any more music. To retain a sense of secrecy about the new single in this age of social media domination was no mean feat; this, and the desire to operate solely on his own terms, is undeniably classy and cuts through all the ******** of Cowellised music industry.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
nick12 said:
... To retain a sense of secrecy about the new single in this age of social media domination was no mean feat; this, and the desire to operate solely on his own terms, is undeniably classy and cuts through all the ******** of Cowellised music industry.

Indeed.

Interesting inside story and interviews re the The Next Day's recording in the The Guardian.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts