New B&W small but high-end speaker coming June 6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Looks to me to be a 'real hi-fi' replacement for the XT series. In which case, it's small enough for home theatre, but big enough and good enough quality for hi-fi use too. I'm assuming there will be a few more models in the range coming at some point.

Hopefully I'll get a listen, or at least a peek at them at the Munich show if they're being shown there....

D

Deleted member 2457

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Looks to me to be a 'real hi-fi' replacement for the XT series. In which case, it's small enough for home theatre, but big enough and good enough quality for hi-fi use too. I'm assuming there will be a few more models in the range coming at some point. Hopefully I'll get a listen, or at least a peek at them at the Munich show if they're being shown there....

Definitely think i found them now. Smile They reminded me of my dad's B&W XT Speakers.

A

Anonymous

Search on google hands you original pm1 25 page brochure downloadable from b&w.comXt is moved to archive.

D

Deleted member 2457

Powersoft said:
Search on google hands you original pm1 25 page brochure downloadable from b&w.comXt is moved to archive.

So they have discontinued the B&W XT speakers, for a smaller version, i'm abit suprised if this is right, because they only updated the B&W XT speakers a couple of years back, with the XT4 to the XT8.

Cheers for the information.

A

Anonymous

Spoken to my hifi dealer. Xt is out of production but there is stock available and to be sold. B&w is not happy that info of productionstop is out into the open relating to expected decreasing sales xt-series. We just have to wait to beginning of june. If the pm1 sound as good as 805s then i'll buy in stead of 805d. Saving a lot of money and space.

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I recently had decided to get the XT8's for my home cinema needs (room 14*12) due to their looks and sound ( I am aware they are below the CM8/9's) but seeing as they are now discontinued should I wait for the replacements or try and get some on the cheap? Will the replacements be the same price do you think?

D

Deleted member 2457

Muzza said:
Hi

I recently had decided to get the XT8's for my home cinema needs (room 14*12) due to their looks and sound ( I am aware they are below the CM8/9's) but seeing as they are now discontinued should I wait for the replacements or try and get some on the cheap? Will the replacements be the same price do you think?

If it was me, i would try and get them cheap, they are still great speakers. The replacements from what i have seen, and if i have seen right are a lot smaller. You could always try phoning a few places and see what they say. Also if you want the B&W PV1 sub, i am not sure whether that will be included with the new ones as a package or not, they may go for a different sub.

A

Anonymous

The pm1 wil cost in euros around 2500 a pair. Expected to sound better over 805s. So much better then xt8 in a smaller casing. Xt8 a pretty tall speakers. The looks are quite good. On paper can't tell that much on the looks of the pm1. Pv1 is expected to stay.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome said:
A pair of B&W CM8 speakers are on their way to us for review. Hurrah!

Hi Clare

Any news on this review?
smiley-cool.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Powersoft said:
The pm1 wil cost in euros around 2500 a pair. Expected to sound better over 805s. So much better then xt8 in a smaller casing. Xt8 a pretty tall speakers. The looks are quite good. On paper can't tell that much on the looks of the pm1. Pv1 is expected to stay.

Do you know anything about colours or measurements?

Cheers.

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Some info?...

1" Nautilus tweeter, carbon fibre re-inforced aluminium dome
5" Kevlar mid/bass

-6dB @ 42Hz
-3dB @ 48Hz

84dB sensitivity

8 ohms nominal impedance
5.1 ohms minimum impedance

Crossover at 4kHz

HxWxD 33cm x 19cm x 25cm

9kg each

Speakers £1000/each
Stands £200/each

D

Deleted member 2457

iainl2005 said:
Some info?...

1" Nautilus tweeter, carbon fibre re-inforced aluminium dome
5" Kevlar mid/bass

-6dB @ 42Hz
-3dB @ 48Hz

84dB sensitivity

8 ohms nominal impedance
5.1 ohms minimum impedance

Crossover at 4kHz

HxWxD 33cm x 19cm x 25cm

9kg each

Speakers £1000/each
Stands £200/each

Nice one. Big Smile

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

iainl2005 said:
I found lots of nice pics, they look nice but as I only use my 805s for surrounds, I dont think I would benefit.

Yeah, i have to admit i did just check out your system - very nice. Smile.

A

Anonymous

I just had a look at thepics and specs, and although I'm sure they willsound excellent I really don't like the aesthetics, my other half would never have those in our lounge.

D

Deleted member 2457

markjaspi said:
I just had a look at thepics and specs, and although I'm sure they willsound excellent I really don't like the aesthetics, my other half would never have those in our lounge.

Careful there mate, you look like you are catching my bug of joining up words you should not. Smile. Yeah, i did not like the colour of the ones i saw, but if they were available in black - which i guess they will be, i can't see if the B&W PV1 is included as a package, they will not be available in black. Then i would like the look of them in black.

The ones i saw were very similar looking to the B&W XT2 speakers and they are nice looking in black, and with a black B&W PV1, could look quite striking.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome said:
Maestroelite said:
Clare Newsome said:
A pair of B&W CM8 speakers are on their way to us for review. Hurrah!

Hi Clare

Any news on this review?
smiley-cool.gif

I know B&W dropped off some kit today; assume the CM8s were included but I will need to check tomorrow.,,.

Hey again, what did you find in the basement?

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I am looking to spend about 2k on speakers for music and home cinema and was waiting for the PM1's, but I notice from the early reports they are really for music only as there is no centre / rear options (that I would like to add at some point).

What would be my best option? A pair of CM8's? I have an average sized room.

Thanks

Clare Newsome said:
Plenty of pics over in our news story (and they'll be the same pack you get from B&W!)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
If you like B&W, then you should try/demo the CM8s - I think there will be a review of them in next month's mag, as WHFSV (I think) got hold of a pair recently.

I've combined CM8s with CM Centre and CM1s for surrounds, and am very pleased with the results. My room is about 4m x 5m, and the CM8s are fairly close to the wall.

Here's mine... http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/bw-cm8

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts