New AV reciever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Spending spree on AVR's or HT pre+ pro's. Unless one is actually auditioning a system. We are caught with the plot and with the visuals on the screen. Hardly any brain room left to process sound differences. So most things that go loud and boom enough are good enough.

Not like you have all lights switched off and eyes closed listening to music. When the smallest nuance is prodded upon.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
A typical AVR has a power supply of a 60-80W integrated amp, but more transistor pairs on the heatsink for the extra channels. And yes some of that PSU is used for digital boards, so it's not purist by any means. 

What I would look into is what kind of electrolytic capactors they are using. If it's junk brands and not even 105C temp rating the lifespan will be 5 years at best. It may develop intermitent faults even earlier. 

I got the marantz sr7011
What do you think of the design and parts/etc

Be brutal I'm not a fanboy and it's just for films.
I've not ever listened to a marantz reciever before
I went for it for value for money/specs/competition prices

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Spending spree on AVR's or HT pre+ pro's. Unless one is actually auditioning a system. We are caught with the plot and with the visuals on the screen. Hardly any brain room left to process sound differences. So most things that go loud and boom enough are good enough.

Not like you have all lights switched off and eyes closed listening to music. When the smallest nuance is prodded upon.

I went for marantz sr7011 and q acoustics 3000 speakers
I felt them better (more clarity than the 7000) on my quick 10 mins demo

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The marantz pairs beautifully with the qacoustics :)

I never heard the 3000 series package. And probably can't. I wanted a small discrete setup to go 7.2.4 in my 11x17 ft room. So everything had to be small for me :)

Will probably plonk the QA concept 40's as fronts if room permits.

Enjoy your setup. And do spend time to patiently setup the audessey 9 point calibration. And then listen for a week. And then try doing the same thing with just a 3 point calibration around your main seating position. And then see which one you like.

Since my listening position is just a 6 feet wide sofa. I preferred the sound with a 3 point calibration. Depending on your room, your mileage might vary.

All the best and enjoy :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
A typical AVR has a power supply of a 60-80W integrated amp, but more transistor pairs on the heatsink for the extra channels. And yes some of that PSU is used for digital boards, so it's not purist by any means.

What I would look into is what kind of electrolytic capactors they are using. If it's junk brands and not even 105C temp rating the lifespan will be 5 years at best. It may develop intermitent faults even earlier.

I got the marantz sr7011 What do you think of the design and parts/etc

Be brutal I'm not a fanboy and it's just for films. I've not ever listened to a marantz reciever before I went for it for value for money/specs/competition prices

What I wrote describes it well. PSU is the size you find in 50-80W stereo integrateds. The Marantz uses fans for cooling to save up on space and heatsink cost. Its not made to power a passive sub, so in a 5.1 setup it should do well. I don't know about 9.1. Maybe with efficient speakers like Klipsch...

No idea if it uses japanese caps and how hot it gets. Marantz generaly uses good materials, its a safe bet.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The Arcam is very expensive but has a good power supply unlike a lot of Av amplifiers ....

All the channels use 24/192 Cirrus CS-42528 DACs and the AVR850 also uses an Analogue Devices ADV8003 video processor. Other interesting specs include a main 1.2kV toroidal power supply transformer and Class G amplification with separate high and low independent DC voltage supplies with voltage rails that go from a low of +/- 30v to a high of +/- 60v. Class G is essentially a hybrid of Class A and Class A/B amplification, offering a greater transparency with more efficiency and less wasted heat energy by implementing multiple power supplies rather than just a single supply. If a dynamic signal is received that goes beyond the capability of this first power supply, the secondary supply is gradually brought in up to full rated power output as required

but if you really want the best of both worlds then buy an Av with Pre-outs so you can connect what ever 2 channel stereo amplifier you like as that’s what I’ve done and work a treat .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If its just for movies and Andrew already has that ATC behemot active sub, then a typical AVR is good enough. Most content from movies is played in the center speaker. That's where you invest well.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If its just for movies and Andrew already has that ATC behemot active sub, then a typical AVR is good enough. Most content from movies is played in the center speaker. That's where you invest well. 

But I've gone budget also on the centre.
I'm not too worried for now
Just needed to get my stereo out of the TV room into a larger area

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
The Arcam is very expensive but has a good power supply unlike a lot of Av amplifiers ....

All the channels use 24/192 Cirrus CS-42528 DACs and the AVR850 also uses an Analogue Devices ADV8003 video processor. Other interesting specs include a main 1.2kV toroidal power supply transformer and Class G amplification with separate high and low independent DC voltage supplies with voltage rails that go from a low of +/- 30v to a high of +/- 60v. Class G is essentially a hybrid of Class A and Class A/B amplification, offering a greater transparency with more efficiency and less wasted heat energy by implementing multiple power supplies rather than just a single supply. If a dynamic signal is received that goes beyond the capability of this first power supply, the secondary supply is gradually brought in up to full rated power output as required

but if you really want the best of both worlds then buy an Av with Pre-outs so you can connect what ever 2 channel stereo amplifier you like as that’s what I’ve done and work a treat .

I've not heard it yet but I can confirm that my old Yamaha Rx 3050 was much better build quality (from the outside at least)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
^ Most older AVRs had better cases. Its a case (pardon the pun) of cutting costs where they can to keep prices competitive. Hopefully though, the Marantz will sound a lot better.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

All the channels use 24/192 Cirrus CS-42528 DACs and the AVR850 also uses an Analogue Devices ADV8003 video processor. Other interesting specs include>

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Sounds ok
Not as good as in richer sounds
Now I give it 2 reasons
My room is **** plain and simple so will have to work on that.
2: I never connected the sub yet so those q acoustics BN are straining.

Good points
The ambient details are very nice

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Sounds ok Not as good as in richer sounds Now I give it 2 reasons My room is **** plain and simple so will have to work on that. 2: I never connected the sub yet so those q acoustics BN are straining.

Good points The ambient details are very nice

The AVR is probably playing without the bass frequency untill you hook up the sub. Many of these AVRs won't even play full 20Hz-20kHz stereo on the Front L/R like a regular stereo integrated. You'd have to hook up a sub even for stereo. I don't know if this is the case with the Marantz, no manufacturer exposes this in the manuals. You just find out the nasty way, when it's too late.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Sounds ok Not as good as in richer sounds Now I give it 2 reasons My room is **** plain and simple so will have to work on that. 2: I never connected the sub yet so those q acoustics BN are straining.

Good points The ambient details are very nice

The AVR is probably playing without the bass frequency untill you hook up the sub. Many of these AVRs won't even play full 20Hz-20kHz stereo on the Front L/R like a regular stereo integrated. You'd have to hook up a sub even for stereo. I don't know if this is the case with the Marantz, no manufacturer exposes this in the manuals. You just find out the nasty way, when it's too late.
to have the bass managed by the subwoofer instead of the speakers you would need to set the subwoofer up to 80hz for film playback so the subwoofer does its job and depending also if Andrew’s speakers can handle the full 20hz - 20hz though his speakers

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
to have the bass managed by the subwoofer instead of the speakers you would need to set the subwoofer up to 80hz for film playback so the subwoofer does its job and depending also if Andrew’s speakers can handle the full 20hz - 20hz though his speakers

For music in stereo setup:

If he uses the AVR to play 2.1 with the JBL LSR305 + the ATC active sub, cut frequency at 80Hz, the sound should be pretty good.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Also worth remembering once you have the subwoofer installed and the crossover set, to ensure that after the Audyssey process has completed to re-set your speakers to 'small'. Many AVR's (certainly mine) has a habit of resetting to 'large' because it can detect full-range speakers attached, but when I'm using the sub, it sounds far punchier when set to small.

With AVR's (compared to stereo amps) the devil's in the detail: it's very possible with the same AVR and speakers to make the system sounds really bad or very good depending on a whole range of settings. So if it doesn't sound perfect out of the box, just be patient. As you get to know all the settings better you'll realise just how versatile AVR's can be, even depending on the source you have playing at the time.

There are some bass heavy tracks that in my room and speakers would sound awful without equalisation, a sub or bass management of some kind, but it's really simple to flip in and out of these modes to make the best of whatever you're listening to. Enjoy and do please report back your findings. A mini review would be helpful to others I'm sure once you've got familiar with it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
And there are not a lot of speakers that you can call full range because a lot of people think just because there speakers are 6ft doesn’t mean they are full range .

audioholics did a video about full range speakers and they own some massive floor standing speakers for there home cinema but they have still kept there fronts to small .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
And there are not a lot of speakers that you can call full range because a lot of people think just because there speakers are 6ft doesn’t mean they are full range .

audioholics did a video about full range speakers and they own some massive floor standing speakers for there home cinema but they have still kept there fronts to small .

Very hard to find speakers that do 20Hz-20kHz at -+3dB.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
Andrewjvt said:
Sounds ok
Not as good as in richer sounds
Now I give it 2 reasons
My room is **** plain and simple so will have to work on that.
2: I never connected the sub yet so those q acoustics BN are straining.

Good points
The ambient details are very nice
Did you run Audyssey?

9 point
I've messed with the settings slightly and improved clarity on the voices

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Are terrible like having and box surrounding your speakers effect. Creating a sound that is not sibilant but boomy low fidelity.
I will add a sub but man that ATC won't fit anywhere.

So I'm looking at a small efficient sub.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Are terrible like having and box surrounding your speakers effect. Creating a sound that is not sibilant but boomy low fidelity. I will add a sub but man that ATC won't fit anywhere.

I recommend the SVS SB2000 it’s a great subwoofer

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Are terrible like having and box surrounding your speakers effect. Creating a sound that is not sibilant but boomy low fidelity.
I will add a sub but man that ATC won't fit anywhere.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts