Second hand denon avr x6200 £699
Pioneer SC lx701£799
Denim act x2400 £399

Which one guys

I

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
from the amp, in terms of features, number of speakers you want to have in your room etc, imo I would go for the cheaper Denon amp as I used one for over 8 years without any problems only to change for another make which has started going wrong after only two years.

I'm sorry, I don't have any experience of Marantz or Pioneer so cannot comment, have you thought of adding Yamaha to your list, there are a few people on this forum that have good things to say about their amps.

*music2*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
It's between the cheaper denon avrx2400 or marantz sr6011
I like the fact that if I want to add full atmosphere it's possible on the marantz
Better amps also
I make up.my mind tomorrow

It's best to buy speakers and amp together. You may not want to pair a bright amp with bright speakers for example. Marantz and Denon are slightly to the warmer side and will pair very well with slightly bright speakers.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Samd said:
Andrewjvt said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
And you'll probably find 90% of the Marantz and Denon guts are identical, only the knobs buttons and remotes being different.

Then the marantz is the best deal to go for

Quite a difference in power output.
Notwithstanding that I don't generally believe AVR power figures:

Marantz SR6011 110 wpc into 2 channels 8 ohms

Denon AVR X6200 140 wpc into 2 channels 8 ohms

So yes, but unless you need to crank the AVR up to 100 % I doubt anyone would notice. And anyway to increase the sound pressure by anything meaningful you would need TWICE the power not just 30 watts.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Look at the table here

http://spinditty.com/instruments-gear/Speaker-Watt

I'm not saying the watts to decibel conversions are precise but it does show that generally you need to DOUBLE the power output to get a 3 dB gain, and it correctly states that you need a 10 dB gain to achieve an apparent doubling of sound intensity.

So, to go from someone shouting in your ear (about 111 dB) to the full Motorhead live experience (120 dB) you need to increase the power by a factor of EIGHT.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Just not good enough
I need more quality
I compared to the Yamaha rx3070

So I'll have to spend a little more bucks.

I was going to buy the q acoustics 7000i but was also disappointed with the sound.

I did buy q acoustics 3020 and 3000 centre though.
Much clearer

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
AVRs still don't cut it as stereo music amplfiers IMHO. They're a lot better than a decade ago, but for movies and muzak yes, audiophile stereo, sadly not.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
AVRs still don't cut it as stereo music amplfiers IMHO. They're a lot better than a decade ago, but for movies and muzak yes, audiophile stereo, sadly not.
I beg to differ, Arcam quotes real watts with their av amps & are highly dynamic & musical when it comes to music. Only thing their av Amps can get very expensive. May not be the very best when it comes to 2 channel but neither are their amps the worst when it comes to 2 channel performance.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
On the marantz sr7011

Good choice.

I have the 7010 and have no complaints whatsoever.

If you're going to use all 11 decoded channels you'll need a modest power amp to drive the rear overheads. Alternatively you can feed the front left and right RCA outputs into the Aux or AV inputs of a "proper stereo" amp, which, as I still opine, is best for audiophile music listening.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
I beg to differ, Arcam quotes real watts with their av amps & are highly dynamic & musical when it comes to music. Only thing their av Amps can get very expensive. May not be the very best when it comes to 2 channel but neither are their amps the worst when it comes to 2 channel performance.

Arcam's AVR850 costs a whopping GBP4500 and still requires a 4 channel power amp to deliver all 11 channels.

For that money you could get virtually any of the Marantz single box AVRs (the 7011 is available new at under GBP1000 the SR7012 at under GBP1800) and a bloody good stereo integrated amp with the significant amount of change left over.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
Native_bon said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
I beg to differ, Arcam quotes real watts with their av amps & are highly dynamic & musical when it comes to music. Only thing their av Amps can get very expensive. May not be the very best when it comes to 2 channel but neither are their amps the worst when it comes to 2 channel performance.
Arcam's AVR850 costs a whopping GBP4500 and still requires a 4 channel power amp to deliver all 11 channels.

For that money you could get virtually any of the Marantz single box AVRs (the 7011 is available new at under GBP1000 the SR7012 at under GBP1800) and a bloody good stereo integrated amp with the significant amount of change left over.
Anyway I dnt buy new always buy old models just before gets discontinued.

The 550 will do fine. Yet who needs 11channels.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I need 13 cos I put 2 speakers in for a 7.2.2 setup then decided I wanted 7.2.4 and rather than fix the holes that would have been left in the ceiling had I reused the original two, I just added 4 more.

And I need 17 downstairs for a 5.1.4 setup in the living room, 2 extra speakers in the dining room, 2 in the master bedroom, 2 in the master bath and 2 more on the patio....

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Fully with sir.benedict here. If you've missed the sr6011 then the 7010 is the next to consider. I have the sr6011 and extremely happy with it both for movies and music. Infact I started a thread titled 'whats your benchmark to beat' . It was about my pairing of the sr6011 with the qacoustics q7000i. Still is a benchmark for me. I watch a lot of music videos off YouTube on my telly , and the system is extremely good with music too. And since you mentioned you don't have speakers , add the q7000i for a inconspicuous look and you have a winner in all respects :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
A typical AVR has a power supply of a 60-80W integrated amp, but more transistor pairs on the heatsink for the extra channels. And yes some of that PSU is used for digital boards, so it's not purist by any means.

What I would look into is what kind of electrolytic capactors they are using. If it's junk brands and not even 105C temp rating the lifespan will be 5 years at best. It may develop intermitent faults even earlier.

TRENDING THREADS