New AV reciever

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Are terrible like having and box surrounding your speakers effect. Creating a sound that is not sibilant but boomy low fidelity. I will add a sub but man that ATC won't fit anywhere.

So I'm looking at a small efficient sub.
I brought my SVS subwoofer of David so I recommend talking to him about SVS subwoofers as he is a SVS agent and great service

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Connected my massive ATC sub today. Set the front speakers to small
Set the crossover to 80hz
Wow what a difference.
My sub is on the lowest gain setting and still only just gets into calibration mode (75db)

Everything is crystal clear
And it's strange as is so powerful sounding yet not sure if the sub is loud enough feeling.
I know that's how it's supposed to be though
It's made the biggest difference
Like a massive upgrade

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Connected my massive ATC sub today. Set the front speakers to small Set the crossover to 80hz Wow what a difference. My sub is on the lowest gain setting and still only just gets into calibration mode (75db)

Everything is crystal clear And it's strange as is so powerful sounding yet not sure if the sub is loud enough feeling. I know that's how it's supposed to be though It's made the biggest difference Like a massive upgrade
what do you mean about the sub not being loud enough as it should be doing bass instead of your speakers doing the bass I’ve got mine set at 12 o’clock on the sub volume which integrates the bass though out all of my speakers .

your not meant to hear the sub it should blend in with your speakers at 80hz but if I turn the sub up more it rattles my sofer a specially when a gun shot goes off it goes right though you is that what you mean what you want from your sub .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Connected my massive ATC sub today. Set the front speakers to small Set the crossover to 80hz Wow what a difference. My sub is on the lowest gain setting and still only just gets into calibration mode (75db)

Everything is crystal clear And it's strange as is so powerful sounding yet not sure if the sub is loud enough feeling. I know that's how it's supposed to be though It's made the biggest difference Like a massive upgrade
what do you mean about the sub not being loud enough as it should be doing bass instead of your speakers doing the bass I’ve got mine set at 12 o’clock on the sub volume which integrates the bass though out all of my speakers .

your not meant to hear the sub it should blend in with your speakers at 80hz but if I turn the sub up more it rattles my sofer a specially when a gun shot goes off it goes right though you is that what you mean what you want from your sub .

Yes that's what I mean
Many people set it too high
Trust me when called upon it will knock the false teeth out of the neighbors mouth.

It's summed so I'm hardly touching it's potential either with the gain on its lowest setting

(Summed means that both sub pre outs are connected to the same sub)

Problem with the ATC sub is the large size. Imagine having a washing machine in the lounge

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Yes that's what I mean Many people set it too high Trust me when called upon it will knock the false teeth out of the neighbors mouth.

It's summed so I'm hardly touching it's potential either with the gain on its lowest setting

Problem with the ATC sub is the large size. Imagine having a washing machine in the lounge
The subwoofer I have kicks some butt for a small subwoofer theses SVS subwoofers are really good a specially when you start looking at the SVS ultra subwoofer as that knocks out some serious bass

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:

Yes that's what I mean Many people set it too high Trust me when called upon it will knock the false teeth out of the neighbors mouth.

The subwoofer I have kicks some butt for a small subwoofer theses SVS subwoofers are really good a specially when you start looking at the SVS ultra subwoofer as that knocks out some serious bass 

Svs are very good

A sub underpins everything - can give the system some scale, sounding much bigger than it is. But it can’t make up for speakers that lack in quality. Would you spend more on the 5/7/9 speakers that are doing most of the work and producing direction information, ambience, music, dialogue etc etc, or a single box that is covering a frequency range of only 60-100Hz?

I’m not against spending big on the sub/subs, but it needs to be in context with the similar to some suppliers suggesting speaker systems worth £5k-10k with a £1k AV receiver (when they don’t sell mainstream AV receivers, or know they’re not going to make any money on the AV receiver).

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Connected my massive ATC sub today. Set the front speakers to small Set the crossover to 80hz Wow what a difference.

This guy explains why bass is important.

Love the mental ones the best.
When I was checking out marantz on YouTube I found a video review of the guy just singing marantz and jumping around.

That's why I chose marantz

davidf said:
A sub underpins everything - can give the system some scale, sounding much bigger than it is. But it can’t make up for speakers that lack in quality. Would you spend more on the 5/7/9 speakers that are doing most of the work and producing direction information, ambience, music, dialogue etc etc, or a single box that is covering a frequency range of only 60-100Hz? 

I’m not against spending big on the sub/subs, but it needs to be in context with the  similar to some suppliers suggesting speaker systems worth £5k-10k with a £1k AV receiver (when they don’t sell mainstream AV receivers, or know they’re not going to make any money on the AV receiver). 
Of course, everything needs to be taken in context. I was alluding to the home cinema experience which only a good subwoofer can give. You can get away with smaller speakers with decent mid and upper range if you have a good subwoofer.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Connected my massive ATC sub today. Set the front speakers to small Set the crossover to 80hz Wow what a difference.

Love the mental ones the best. When I was checking out marantz on YouTube I found a video review of the guy just singing marantz and jumping around.

Why people bother with hifi magazine reviews I have no clue.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:

Love the mental ones the best. When I was checking out marantz on YouTube I found a video review of the guy just singing marantz and jumping around.

Why people bother with hifi magazine reviews I have no clue.
because sometimes the YouTube video gives you more information then any magazine reviews can as it’s hands on the product in question which you can not beat as you get the pros and cons of the product but obviously depending on how good the reviewer is in the video. .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts