New AV Receiver

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm looking at a new AV Receiver seeing as my current 15 year old Yamaha seems to be losing it's left channel sound.

I was looking at the Marantz SR7011 now it's dropped to under £1000 but the Denon AVR-X4300H looks promising also. Yamaha Advantage are probably out of my price range and a little over kill for what I need.

It's for my lounge which is currently a 5.0 setup, no sub and no Atmos. Atmos is something I'm looking into but not sure it is possible at the mo as I can't put holes in the ceiling!

Normal features and spec required, as future proof as possible. If the Yamaha RX-A3060 is a much better leap and not overkill I could probably wait unti it drops to £1200 ish. I'm probably not going to be able to demo which is why the Marantz 7011 is probably a good bet. Great reviews both professional and user.

Can anyone think of any reason why I should look at the Denon over the Marantz? It's a little cheaper but I do like the loo of the Marantz and it seems a reasonable safe bet with all the happy customers

Cheers

Rocket

D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:
Hi All,

I'm looking at a new AV Receiver seeing as my current 15 year old Yamaha seems to be losing it's left channel sound.

I was looking at the Marantz SR7011 now it's dropped to under £1000 but the Denon AVR-X4300H looks promising also. Yamaha Advantage are probably out of my price range and a little over kill for what I need.

It's for my lounge which is currently a 5.0 setup, no sub and no Atmos. Atmos is something I'm looking into but not sure it is possible at the mo as I can't put holes in the ceiling!

Normal features and spec required, as future proof as possible. If the Yamaha RX-A3060 is a much better leap and not overkill I could probably wait unti it drops to £1200 ish. I'm probably not going to be able to demo which is why the Marantz 7011 is probably a good bet. Great reviews both professional and user.

Can anyone think of any reason why I should look at the Denon over the Marantz? It's a little cheaper but I do like the loo of the Marantz and it seems a reasonable safe bet with all the happy customers

Cheers

Rocket
If you trade in your amp you can have the Yamaha 3060 for £1400. just find the link to the shop, I borrowed the 3060 and its a hell of an amp. Bluetooth is amazing on it too.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
rocketrazor said:
Hi All,

Cheers

Rocket
If you trade in your amp you can have the Yamaha 3060 for £1400. just find the link to the shop, I borrowed the 3060 and its a hell of an amp. Bluetooth is amazing on it too.
Here's the link: say you are an AV Forum member too and they might give you an extra discount too:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/special-offers-2017.2038348/

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
rocketrazor said:
Hi All,

Cheers

Rocket
Here's the link: say you are an AV Forum member too and they might give you an extra discount too:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/special-offers-2017.2038348/

D

Deleted member 2457

https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/30178/yamaha-rx-a3060-aventage-black-9-2-channel-av-receiver-w-musiccast/

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
The 3060 is unlikely to come down to £1200. Gel's offer is as good as it can get I believe. Moving from Yamaha to Marantz, I prefer the Marantz. The SR7011 is future proof as well.
Agree.
thumbs_up.gif

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Cheers guys. I opted for the Marantz 7011 in the end. Hopefully be hear Tuesday *clapping*

i ruled out the Yamaha as turns out its to big for my stand!

the Denon I noticed priced at £900 and it was priced at £750 previously, no way I'm paying more. looked at lower Denon models but liked the flap hiding everything and like the idea of HEOS so looking into using that at same point

the Marantz offered value at £900 and looking at last years prices it probably won't drop any lower, I never saw the 7010 lower than £900. Probably overkill for me but every now and then you need to treat yourself *biggrin*

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Set up my SR7011, love it love it love it! I'm hearing things I didn't before, so much clearer and precise. One question I have though. For some reason the 3D disc of Transformers Age Of Extinction plays far lower than the 2D version. The base is a lot less as well. I had it on level 55 and thought this is ok. When I put the 2D version in I had to turn it down to 43 and the bass was so much better. I haven't tried any other 3D disc's yet but does anyone else notice this?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't seem to have any sound from the old audio connections (left and right, White and Red connections). My CD player isn't working even though it's plugged in correctly. Tried a few other ports as well. Any ideas?

Also is there a way to increase the base level? My old Yamaha just had a turn dial?

Ta

Increase the bass on the subwoofer. What are the crossover settings?

EDIT: Just remembered you don't have a subwoofer. Make sure you set your speakers to "large" so that they play full range.

Your next purchase should be a subwoofer.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Cheers BB, any idea where that setting is. I went through the setup on install and then clicked through the menu's earlier but didn't come across it. I'll have anyother look.

Any thought's on the Audio issue for my CD player?

Also on your 7009 when using the passthrough does your Amp need to be on? Seems I need it on to watch anything which for me isn't an issue but the wife........!

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
think i've found the answer the the bass, speaker set up and pass through. Still any advise on the cd sound issue would be greatly received

Cheers

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
getting a little frustrated now. Just tried you tube via teh PS3 and no sound! Manual is online only, which doesn't help! Need to see what does and doesn't work over the weekend!

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I now have sound back, no idea what the issue was.

Still a few problems I can't work out though

1. No playback from my CD through the red and white cables

2. Transformers Age of Extinction 3D still lower on 2D on same level

3. PS3 connected via HDMI to Amp on game port and I get Multi In as a description not Dolby Digital as expected? I have the Dolby Digital logo on th etop of the display screen. Is it in Dolby Digital or is it adding extra processing?

4. Although my speakers are set to large, I can't find anywhere on option to amend bass and treble. Are these things that just don't appear on higher end kit?

Managed to fix the TV and Humax so anything not in Dolby Digital is now Stero rather than Surrond Sound.

Update to latest firmware so that's all upd to date

If anyone can shed any light that would be great, if not I'll call Peter Tyson on Tuesday.

Cheers

Rocket

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Dvd player working, made the mistake of assuming the coax conection as labelled on the back DVD was assigned to the DVD program. It wasn't. Assigned and fixed

CD player working now. Must have been around the same time I lost all sound earlier. I moved the cable and forgot about it. Once moved back all working fine

Just the other queries now!

Cheers

There's a setting where you choose which inputs to assign. For example, "CD" is assigned to both, an HDMI in port as well as coax. You'll need to select which one to assign. I'll have to check my settings to tell you the exact steps, which I'll do next week if you're still stuck (busy this weekend).

With regards to PS3, make sure it's set to bitstream audio.

I don't think you can change the bass and treble. I've never done it.

I know that some blu rays are coded differently for 2D and 3D. For example, in Batman Vs Superman, the background score during wonder woman's entry in the climax fight is much more powerful in 2D version and disappointingly timid in the 3D disc.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
BB I owe you a beer my friend *drinks*

Got Dolby digital now, though to be honest it doesn't sound any different to me. Tried a few settings and all sounded the same.

sound level on 3D and 2D the same now also!

no need to amend base and treble, sounds absolutely fantastic, no they are sorted and everything is working I love it. Sounds superb. Thanks for the recommendation also. Had it on my shortlist for ages and missed the 7010 sale last year but happy now.

Two last questions (for now)

any idea why for PS3 games still show as multi ch in? No option to change the bitstream for games. Not sure it will make any difference to the sound, but curious so would like to know

how do I change my port hole window to show db sound rather than volume increasing in numbers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts