New AV receiver upgrade from Pioneer VSX 1017AV-s

Nolia

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I have recently got into all this HiDef tech. I am looking to upgrade from the above amp which has SERIOUSLY been a let down on the HDMI audio department. I have heard of Onkyo getting too hot. My budget is limited between £300-£440. I narrowed to the Yamaha 765 and a Kenwood KRF- V9300D what are your opinions guys?? I have the Kef Eggs 1005.2.

D

Deleted member 2457

Nolia:I have recently got into all this HiDef tech. I am looking to upgrade from the above amp which has SERIOUSLY been a let down on the HDMI audio department. I have heard of Onkyo getting too hot. My budget is limited between £300-£440. I narrowed to the Yamaha 765 and a Kenwood KRF- V9300D what are your opinions guys?? I have the Kef Eggs 1005.2.

Hi there when you say it was a let down, are you saying you don't here any difference between a dvd soundtrack on dolby digital or dts compared to dolby true high definition and dts master audio on blu ray?

Thanks

jetjohnson

Aug 11, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't rule out an Onkyo myself ...I have the big 875 and although it doesn't exactly run cool it's heat has never been a problem and Onk's sound good!

Nolia

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
thanks Jet. I did have change of heart as went to my mate's yard and he has one of the Onkyo amps. I was blown away(not literally.lol) loved the sound and multiple HDMI. We tried Day After Tomo blu-ray good Lord even God himself would be pleased. It seems no one has the Kenwood amp.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I personally use the Onkyo 607 at home and have no problems with overheating.
It's a beast of an amp and providing you have the patience to tweak the settings after the auto-cal is finished then you will be well rewarded.

IMHO there is no better connected amp that sounds this good under £1000 and considering I paid £350 for it that's quite a bargain.

It IS a big amp with a huge power supply so make sure you have adequate ventilation on all sides and don't hide it away in a closed cabinet, but then again that holds true for any components you may have!

With great sceptisism I even added the two extra "front height" speakers to see if they made any difference and was pleasantly surprised :)

So to sum up the 607 has got spadeloads of grunt, sounds very accurate when you bi-amp the front speakers, is ultimately configurable and at a great price point.

Go and audition one with your favourite music or film, or ignore it at your peril!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
At that budget, I think you should also consider the Denon AVR-1910 (though as others have said, if blockbuster movies are your penchant, you definitely shouldn't ignore the Onkyo).

Nolia

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
okay thanks. So will Onkyo be good for stereo sound as well(iPod)? I am looking at different shops in the EU to see if I can get a good bargain. As for ventilation I have lots of space so it won't be a problem. If I can stretch a few more dollars I will get some floorstanders.

D

Deleted member 2457

If you have not ruled out pioneer all together and you did like the sound of a pioneer then the pioneer vsx-919AH got quite a good review from a couple of issues back in the what hi fi mag.

Nolia

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I haven't ruled them out. The sound is good. Not having HD audio processing is what got to me. I find using the MACC system doesnt really tune it to my liking so I manually did it.

D

Deleted member 2457

Nolia:I haven't ruled them out. The sound is good. Not having HD audio processing is what got to me. I find using the MACC system doesnt really tune it to my liking so I manually did it.

What's your blu ray player if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I use the 875 and I will not be replacing it anytime soon - it is very, very good. For your money, you should be looking at either the Denon 1910 or Onkyo 607.

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
I never knew that Kenwood were still in the AV business!

Take a look at the Denon 1910. It's been great for all sorts of films, and even music. £399 at Richer sounds, you can't go wrong.

Nolia

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah they are still alive and kicking. Only the UK side they have decided to shut down and concentrate on car audio. Will try to see if I can get demos sorted out the see what's good. The Denon seems to be getting good reviews. I have the Kef Eggs but would like two floorstanders

D

Deleted member 2457

Yes I agree with the Denon as well giving you are going with the PS3.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts