New AV receiver and speakers - advice please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone had a chance to audition some mid-range home cinema set ups?

I'm looking for a system that will work well for music as well as movies. I'm planning an upgrade to my trusty sub/sat system (Kef eggs with a Sony STR-DB795) to a larger set up that can make the most of the new HD sound formats, and ideally will work well with music from CDs and (gasp!) an iPod. I need 2 HDMI outputs to connect both a TV and projector. Budget is around £3,000 total.

From my research around I'm drawn to the Dali Ikon 5.1 speaker package or the Monitor Audio RX6 AV-12. On the AVR side the Yamaha RX-V 2065 and the Marantz SR 6004 both look like they will fit the bill, unfortunately nowhere nearby has them to demo yet.

Does anyone have any experience with these, or any thoughts on other components to join the shortlist?

Cheers

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I have plenty of experience with the Dali Ikon pack as well as the amps you mention. With the Dali's I would strongly suggest you look the Pioneer amps - the LX52 and above - as they work exceptionally well together.

The SR6004 is my next choice - music wise it might just have the edge over the Pioneer but the Pioneer has great ipod control and would be a better match with the Ikon pack.

You are not going to go wrong with either to be honest.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Nick

From your reply I'm guessing you would lean towards the Dali speakers as opposed to the Monitor Audios. Is that true? An enveloping sound stage with bags of detail and punch is what I'd be hoping for (I hope I'm not asking too much on this budget!)

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We do not stock MA so I can't say 100%.

The Dali Ikon will give you what you are looking for. Plenty of punch and huge sound. It really is a cracking combo with the Pioneer.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Monitor Audios are reviewed in our next issue, out next week (with subscribers and visitors to Manchester Show from Saturday). That's also our Awards issue, where we'll reveal our favourite speaker packages - style and traditional - at every price point, as well - of course - as receivers, Blu-ray players, etc etc etc.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare

However I suspect that, as the Dali's haven't been in the WHF demo room for a bit, there won't be a comparison between them and the Monitor Audio's in the Awards issue...?

(Although I do recall you preferred the Dali's to the RS6 AV system (the RX6's predecessor) in a previous group test - does an answer lie therein?)

muchy:

I'm looking for a system that will work well for music as well as movies. I'm planning an upgrade to my trusty sub/sat system (Kef eggs with a Sony STR-DB795) to a larger set up that can make the most of the new HD sound formats, and ideally will work well with music from CDs and (gasp!) an iPod. I need 2 HDMI outputs to connect both a TV and projector. Budget is around £3,000 total.

From my research around I'm drawn to the Dali Ikon 5.1 speaker package or the Monitor Audio RX6 AV-12. On the AVR side the Yamaha RX-V 2065 and the Marantz SR 6004 both look like they will fit the bill, unfortunately nowhere nearby has them to demo yet.

Does anyone have any experience with these, or any thoughts on other components to join the shortlist?

Cheers
emotion-1.gif

Hi muchy

Yamaha's RX-V2065 and Monitor Audio's Silver RX Series speakers are both superb products in their own right. We have had the Silver RX range in for some time now and i have heard enough now to back up what i realised a few months ago after first hearing them that this new Silver RX speakers is now at the top of the tree compared to similar products from some it's main peers. The RX-V2065's predecessor the RX-V1900 was an excellent AV receiver and yet the RX-V2065 is even better for similar money.
emotion-1.gif

I have said it before that ime Yamaha AV amps + Monitor Audio speakers = a great combination (time after time)
emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:muchy:

Cheers
emotion-1.gif

Hi muchy

Yamaha's RX-V2065 and Monitor Audio's Silver RX Series speakers are both superb products in their own right. We have had the Silver RX range in for some time now and i have heard enough now to back up what i realised a few months ago after first hearing them that this new Silver RX speakers is now at the top of the tree compared to similar products from some it's main peers. The RX-V2065's predecessor the RX-V1900 was an excellent AV receiver and yet the RX-V2065 is even better for similar money.
emotion-1.gif

I have said it before that ime Yamaha AV amps + Monitor Audio speakers = a great combination (time after time)
emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

I'm considering changing my AV speakers. Which Monitor Audio package would you recommend for my yamaha Z7? I looked at the Monitor Audio PL300 AV package untill i saw the price, it costs 5 times what i paid for my Z7.

Charl:MUSICRAFT:muchy:

Cheers
emotion-1.gif

Hi muchy

emotion-1.gif

emotion-2.gif

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

I'm considering changing my AV speakers. Which Monitor Audio package would you recommend for my yamaha Z7? I looked at the Monitor Audio PL300 AV package untill i saw the price, it costs 5 times what i paid for my Z7.

Hi Charl

Thanks for your post.

Please consider their new Silver RX Series. The RX range is truly excellent and will work superbly well with the DSP-Z7.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare - useful info.

BTW - any news on if/when you'll be reviewing the Yamaha RX-V2065? I'm guessing it won't make it into the Awards Issue....

Good luck with the issue and with Manchester

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rick

I'm hoping my local AV store will get the RX-V2065 in to audition soon.

Although I'm now wondering whether it's worth forking out the little extra to get the RX-V3900....

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
If you do go down the Yamaha route then the 3900 is a good step up from the 2065. Build quality alone makes it a worthwile upgrade. Right now the price differences are pretty minor.

A

Anonymous

I bought my Dali Ikon 5.1 system a few years ago now and auditioned a Yamaha amp with it after looking at many brochures (like you do) and was disappointed with the listening tests . The stereo wasnt focussed and I was very disappointed as I wanted to buy that day. The dealer then connected an Arcam AVR 350 and I saw the light( or rather heard the sound!) My wife was with me and she said the Arcam was much better . I cant remember the model number of the Yamaha but at the time both amps were around £1000 so that satisfied my needs until earlier this year when I upgraded to the Arcam AVR 600, keeping the Dalis. I use the amp for both Home Cinema and pure stereo and am very happy with the match ( I am however auditioning some Dali Helicons later this week , but they are very expensive)

I know amps have moved on a lot since I got my 350 but I would give a 100% recommendation to the 350 and Dali Ikon 6 combination and equally suggest that you do go and listen to whatever you are keen to buy. Dont take other peoples opinions as fact( or dealers come to that) its a very personal thing and what one individual likes another may hate.

But DO start saving for an Arcam AVR 600 you wont be disappointed ( please ignore this and listen!!!)

A

Anonymous

Many thanks Barrywi.

I've been impressed by the forum feedback on the Arcam AVR600, but it's just too far out of my budget to consider. I'm going to have to resist the temptation to listen to them, because I know what'll happen next! (Food or Arcam, food or Arcam...!)

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Barrywi - it is a great step up to the Helicons. They have a very different sound but if you can get Helicons all across the front with the sub you are in for a treat. One of the best sound/pound systems we have had in our demo room.

A

Anonymous

Just a quick update.

I had a chat with Rick at Musicraft to get more of a low-down from someone who's spent time with the Yamaha receivers partnered with the Monitor Audio RX's (which seem to be flavour of the month - yet to hear a bad word about them!). He was certainly knowledgeable about the various set ups, and the pros and cons of each combo.

In the end I've settled on the Monitor Audio RX6 AV12 system, and I've pushed my budget to get the Yamaha DSP-Z7! That was despite Rick heartily recommending cheaper combos.

Many thanks for all the help and a good deal, Rick; and thanks too everyone else for their input and advice. I'm happy I'll be getting a system that'll stand the test of time, and will be able to resist any thoughts of an upgrade for many years to come - overall a saving in my book!!

muchy:

Just a quick update.

I had a chat with Rick at Musicraft to get more of a low-down from someone who's spent time with the Yamaha receivers partnered with the Monitor Audio RX's (which seem to be flavour of the month - yet to hear a bad word about them!). He was certainly knowledgeable about the various set ups, and the pros and cons of each combo.

In the end I've settled on the Monitor Audio RX6 AV12 system, and I've pushed my budget to get the Yamaha RX-Z7! That was despite Rick heartily recommending cheaper combos.

Many thanks for all the help and a good deal, Rick; and thanks too everyone else for their input and advice. I'm happy I'll be getting a system that'll stand the test of time, and will be able to resist any thoughts of an upgrade for many years to come - overall a saving in my book!!
emotion-2.gif

Hi muchy

Thanks for your kind words and for your support.
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts