New AV amp needed. RX-V377 or AVR-X2000 or other?

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi Having only around £250 and a small room, I wondered which would be best? The AVR-X2000 I've seen for £260 and was curious whether it would outclass the award winner in that price range? Others can be tested too if worth it. What speaker package recommendations for the amp too please? Thanks

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
could stretch to £300, thus encompassing the SONY STRDN1040.*biggrin*

Is it the Yamaha 377 or 375 that's award winning? Seems to be both.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
hi, thanks

I was looking at the Tannoys and Q Acoustic 2000i packages but would love the DALI ones. I'm thinking the entry level amps won't do them justice and maybe more than necessary for my smallish room.

However I looked at Boston packages too as they're a bargain now and were well reviewed.

Confused basically *help*

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
£1000 max. I was thinking Denon AVR-X2000 and Q Acoustics 2000i but am wondering if it's overkill in a 8 x 10m room.

if I could squeeze the TV out of this budget, seen it for £400, then awesome but that's not a must.

not too fussy. thanks again

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
max337 said:
but am wondering if it's overkill in a 8 x 10m room.

I'll apologise if I'm wrong, but I strongly suspect that you meant to say "an 8 x 10 ft" room.

If you really meant 8m by 10m, then you need to be looking at much, much bigger amplifiers.

That's definitely a big room. Stay away from the Boston in that case. Q acoustics 2000i are damn fine speakers and would go well with the Yamaha. I would, however suggest the RX-V675 minimum if it fits your budget. There are some good deals around. Definitely demo before purchase.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Apology freely given, max337. Demo before purchase as bigboss says, but your 8m x 10m room will be bigger than many dealers' demonstration rooms, so you may still not get an accurate idea of how whatever amplifier you choose will perform in your room. Mention the size of your room very early on in any conversation with a dealer.

Image004_2068_kB_3-Mar-2014_14h31_B60_zpse2ef7a19.jpg

This is a picture of the rear of my biggest room, which measures 18ft long by 14 ft wide. Powering my 11.1 speaker array is a Denon AVR-4810 receiver, which may be slightly too powerful for the room but, at the time that I bought it, was the only receiver which could drive 11 channels (albeit with the addition of a separate stereo amplifier). But your room is more than twice as big as mine. As well as the amplifier power which you will certainly need, I'm also slightly concerned with using only a 5.1 set of speakers in such a big room? But I'll happily defer to anyone else who knows more about surround sound in a very big room.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for the recommendations. I am drawing up a small list to demo, I appreciate it.

Just to throw some more options, I am pondering halving the room, I'm not bothered about overspill of sound into the other half so am curious now if I would get away with the Boston or even the Tannoy HTS-101 set along with the Yamaha, Sony or Denon amps. Am favouring Sony and Yamaha but will be testing all 3.

It's a new home move see, and not quite there yet so unable to test anything but upon arrival, this is one of my priorities. Any excuse to try some new equipment.

Amps

Sony str-dn1040
Yamaha 37x and 675
Denon avr-x2000

Speakers

Boston XS SE
Q Acoustics 2000i 5.1
Tannoy HTS 101

I must say I am sorely tempted to simply go and buy the Sony 1040/50 and those 2000i set right now but abhore wasting money and don't see the point in buying more than I may need.

Cheers.*biggrin*

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hehe, no apologies necessary, I understand. I'm considering chopping the room in half and therefore my requirements may reduce.

I'll remember to ensure the size of the room is mentioned when I'm hunting.

I had not considered needing more speakers, this is a good reason to reduce the size of the room! I have not moved in yet and am working in the dark so to speak but would love to have a system, or a very short list ready for arrival.

I am leaning towards the Sony 1040/50 and the Q Acoustic 2000i but am keeping my options open until I can audition some.

Thanks for the reply, if you have any ideas please fire them my way, it's appreciated.

PS I can only imagine what it's like in that room with 11 speakers and such a hefty amp. Out of curiousity, which speakers do you use?

*biggrin*

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Is it common for ones budget to steadily increase as you look around? *stop*

I have since decided upon halving the room, meaning it is now 13 x 10 ft approx.

As my budget has crept up, now looking at

Amps

Denon x2000 - excellent bargain to be had on this.
Yamaha 677/675 or even 37x?
STR-DN1040.

Speakers
Bowers & Wilkins MT-50
Q Acoustics Q7000
Q Acoustics 2000i
Dali Zensor 1 5.1
Focal Dôme 5.1 maybe

Wondering whether Dali's would be unnecessary because they probably won't get used to their potential due to room size and neighbours.

max337

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again bb.
Really? I don't disagree as I know no better but I see the Sony lauded everywhere.

I am still wavering but have definitely decided upon either

MONITOR AUDIO BX2 5.1 or DALI Zensor 1 5.1 speakers.

am still confused regarding the amp, simply because I had plumped for the 675/677 but then saw offers on things like

Denon AVR X3000, RX-A830, TX-NR1010.

I am looking for no particular sound but I do like detail and bass. However I am moving up from Denon 1910 and KEF eggs with sub, so I am sure whatever I get will be a major improvement. I simply well a decent setup that matches somewhat and has no issues sonically.

Sorry to labour this, I am sorely tempted to just buy a bundle. One of the thousands I feel I have looked at recently. :D

bushidoka

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Just wondering what you decided on? I have been looking at those exact models as my final choices. I think I have them is this order of priority:
1) Yamaha RX-V6772) Denon AVR-X30003) Yamaha RX-6754) Onkyo TXNR6365) Sony STR-DN1040 The dn1040 was higher up but it seems the hdmi problem with them is so common and still not resolved which is a huge shame. Ideally am after one of the first 3 for under £300 open box/refurb, on a very tight budget, prob Q Acoustics or slightly cheaper speakers depending what can find. Does the order of av's look right? Any suggestions, not sure between avr-x3000 and rx-675? Needs to have either built in wifi or airplay, 4k and 1080p up-scaling video is also required.Thanks in advance for any suggestions

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts