New Arcam AV amps…anyone listened to?

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
380, 450, 750

I have been told that the new Arcam av amps have come along way from the previous amps. 360,400,500,600

The older models had problems with reliablitly but most dealers i have spoken to and Arcam insure me that the new amps are a very different and will be very reliable.

They also inform me the sound has a quicker response so music becomes more exciting to listen too.

The av600 has amazing stereo sound but unfortuantley had the most amount of problems.... what hi fi knocked the amp down from 5 stars to 4 because of this. Every dealer has said the 450 is as good as if not better than the av600 with regards sound and doesnt sound that much diffrerent to the 750.... the 750 cost double the price.

Im excited to hear about this... with arcam becoming a more relaible brand and getting back to where they deserve after much critisim.

I have just purchased a bdp300 and i'm going to upgrade my av250 very soon to possible the 450

Has anyone listened to these new amps? would be good to hear what everyone has to say on there views of arcam and there new recievers. Are they going to be as good as what everyone saying?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dean, in the absence of any replies, I will tell you what I can, which is a mixture of experience, what I've read and speaking to a dealer that I trust.

The overwhelming view, is that the AVR750 is the best sounding receiver that Arcam have built. It's cleaner, punchier and more detailed / revealing than the AVR600 (which I own and love, but has been problematical). This is born out by reports, reviews and my dealer. The big difference is (I believe), in the pre/pro section, as like the AVR600, it uses Class G.

There have been conflicting user reports on the AVR450. One guy is delighted and thinks it's not that far off the AVR750, while another thinks it's a pale imitation of its much more expensive brother. Arcam's view is that it betters the AVR600, but I remain sceptical until I hear that for myself.......it should certainly be more reliable. I don't think the AVR450 has the Class G amps, which I think is a big reason why the 600 / 750 sound so good.

So to sum up, the 750 is as good as everybody is saying, and the 450 might be.......if you end up hearing either, do let us know.

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Im very excited my these products and i guess i'll have to try the 450 and 750 out very soon.

There is a huge £2000 leep from the 2 so i'm thinking is it really worth that extra? I could upgrade to a very good set of speakers for that. I currently have MA RS6's

abacus

I have heard the AVR600 and it was fantastic with music but a complete waste of space in Home Cinema mode, (Easily bettered by £1000 AV Receivers) however if the new models have addressed this downside then they will definitely be the ones to beat.

Bill

alimcd

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
*my opinion, not that of my place of work*

We have the 750 set up with a good speakercraft rig, PMC wafer 2 rear surrounds and a couple of rel subs. Having moved from the pioneer range, the Arcam is a much fuller sound with much better placement of effects. Voice seems much clearer and less sibilant. Both amps were set up as best we could by ear, tape measure and SPL. No faffing about with eq's and roll-offs. The speakers are pretty damn flat in there, if you need to change the response settings or eq, then the amp is not a good match.

I have demo'd the 450 with the KEF R series 700/600/500 and it is a great performer for the money. It's not a 750, but given that you can buy a pretty serious speaker pack with the difference, it would be worth a listen. Unfortunately we had sold out of 600's before the 450's arrived so I cannot comment on any comparison.

I can't wait to hear the 950 with some REALLY big amplification strapped to the back of it!

edit: terrible spelling from posting on my phone

OliG

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm very interested in the AVR 750 as an upgrade to my 2008 Onkyo. I keep checking back with WHF looking for a review but nothing as yet...

abacus

OliG said:
I'm very interested in the AVR 750 as an upgrade to my 2008 Onkyo. I keep checking back with WHF looking for a review but nothing as yet...

It’s in the latest WHF under the temptations section, so none subscribers don’t have long to wait. (Of cause if you subscribed you would already know)

Bill

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
abacus said:
OliG said:

It’s in the latest WHF under the temptations section, so none subscribers don’t have long to wait. (Of cause if you subscribed you would already know)

Bill

Is it a full review?

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Dean Morris said:
abacus said:
OliG said:

Bill

Is it a full review?

Yes and a good one.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Just read the review of the new Arcam AVR750.. I would say am a bit disappionted.. No comparison with the old AVR600.. In terms of movie or music.. At least I thought would be compared 2 AV amps of the same price..?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts