New amplifier

Iprefer78's

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, a while ago I started to bring my system up to date & ended up with a Rega RP8, RB808 arm/ Ortofon Quintet bronze, an Arcam fmj A29 with M/C step-up, a Marantz CD6006 CD player & Monitor audio silver 6 speakers.

After long listening I have decided that I would prefer a "warmer" sounding amplifier, any suggestions for a shortlist £1500 to £2000 ?

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Elsdon Wonfor Audio Claymore Retro : This was recently recommended to me by a dealer although I haven't heard it, and you probably won't find a review. I always like the idea of an exotic outsider so this interests me, appartently sounds great... . British company I think.

Good luck finding one to audition

Rogue Audio Sphinx integrated amplifier ; Class D amp but with a valve pre stage

Creek Evolution 100A integrated
NAD Master Series M3 integrated amplifier
Or maybe one of the big new Yamaha ones that are popular on this forum..... I'm sure the owners will be along soon to sing their praises :)

Iprefer78's said:
Hi all, a while ago I started to bring my system up to date & ended up with a Rega RP8, RB808 arm/ Ortofon Quintet bronze, an Arcam A29 with M/C step-up, a Marantz CD6006 CD player & Monitor audio silver 6 speakers.

After long listening I have decided that I would prefer a "warmer" sounding amplifier, any suggestions for a shortlist £1500 to £2000 ?

So are you sure the problem isn't your speakers?

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This is an interesting product from the aforementioned Luxman;

The M-200 is designed to be portable and completely compatible with fresh new audio source components and high performance audio applications coming to market, such as computer music sources. What’s more, its rated output is 25W+25W (8Ω), concentrating on the ultimate sound quality rather than quantity.

Instead of rigidly adhering to the traditional audio forms, the M-200 introduces modern high performance parts and assemblies that will meet the requirements of the most demanding audiophile. This Luxman fully featured new product provides both beginners and hi-fi experts with a wide variety of audio solutions.

As a high quality stereo amplifier, M-200 can be used with various audio components, such as the USB D/A converter DA-200 with high-grade built-in potentiometers and the E-200 phono stage. The M-200 has both fixed and variable inputs, so you can be used with an external preamplifier if you wish.

Furthermore, in BTL mode M-200 can work as a mono amplifier with 70W (8Ω) output to achieve greater driving forces for large-caliber speakers. You can also activate/deactivate its built-in pre-amplifier and add discrete pre-amplification if you prefer to do so, making the M-200 highly versatile in a variety of applications.

The front panel display is able to process and track reproduced signals in real-time. It is also equipped with a digital power meter (backlighting can be switched off), which can be switched between power Output, Speaker Impedance, Hold Time and other digital settings. All the above provide you a visual and informative feast while enjoying the music.

insider9

Al ears said:
Iprefer78's said:
Hi all, a while ago I started to bring my system up to date & ended up with a Rega RP8, RB808 arm/ Ortofon Quintet bronze, an Arcam A29 with M/C step-up, a Marantz CD6006 CD player & Monitor audio silver 6 speakers.

So are you sure the problem isn't your speakers?

+1

I'd say that the same budget spent on replacing speakers would do wonders to your setup. It's likely that another amp will only highlight this further.

Iprefer78's

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I suppose that I had not considered the speakers as the weakest link, due to the fact that they were purchased for me! (At the time I was looking to change things I had just had to retire early due to ill health & my colleagues knowing that the Monitor Audios were on my to listen list, purchased them for me. No idea why they didn't ask me first )

So I now will have to consider replacing them ( another short list to compile) & think of a good excuse as to why they will be on ebay!!

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Iprefer78's said:
I may even go mad & start again, put both amp & speakers on fleabay & add the proceeds to the ammount I was willing to spend, then start from scratch!

In theory the more laid back character of the Arcam amp should marry well with the forward sounding MA. The equipment is all relatively good.

What is the room like? Tiled floor? Laminate floors? Suspended wooden floorboards? Bare plaster walls? Etc. Perhaps a little damping could balance out the sound, as any of the above could cause unwanted reflections or vibrations and nothing is going to sound its best. Might be cheaper too than buying a whole new system though a lot less fun!

Iprefer78's

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi Muddywaterstones, the room is 7m x 5, carpeted floorboards & furnished, the speakers are 1.75m apart, 25 cm from the rear wall & approximately 2m from my sitting position.

You are right of course, selling up is a bit drastic.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You should not discount the Pathos. It is a hybrid amp, which means it has a Valve Pre/SS Power. They are wonderfully organic and musical sounding, with no harshness or rough edges. It could sound very well indeed matched with your MA.

The other option you mighr have is a Sugden A21 / A21SE; or possibly an Electrocompaniet ECI-3 or ECI-5 (which are now hard to find, as they don't seem to have many dealers).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
- I listen to mostly rock and metal.
checkmark-xxl.png

- I am 35-55 y/o with tinnitus.
checkmark-xxl.png

- I have Monitor Audio speakers.
checkmark-xxl.png

- What amplifier should I buy?
checkmark-xxl.png

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Iprefer78's said:
Me-

- I listen to mostl things except opera & jazz.

- I am 62 years old.

- I have Monitor Audio silver 6 speakers.

- What amplifier or speakers should I buy?

I only missed 3/4! *biggrin*

New speakers usually. But not before I'd try different speaker tilting.

- horizontal tilt aiming forward, away from your listening position,

- vertical by lifting the front legs few mm so the speakers slightly point upwards.

Also covering glass/tile/leather surfaces helps a tad.

Iprefer78's

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I have tried changing the angle of the speakers, but never considered tilting, I will give it a go.

As far as changing anything to do with the furnishings, NOT if I want to live!
thumbs_down.gif

Iprefer78's

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Anyone had experience with B&W CM8s2 speakers?

An ex neighbour is selling a pair as they are too large for his new house, He has moved too far away to make collecting them & trying them practical, he will however arange delivery if I buy them.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Iprefer78's said:
Anyone had experience with B&W CM8s2 speakers?

An ex neighbour is selling a pair as they are too large for his new house, He has moved too far away to make collecting them & trying them practical, he will however arange delivery if I buy them.

If you can't improve room acoustics I guess you should fiddle with positioning, like Vladimir advised. Not only the speakers but also with your listening position if you can. There are loads of information on this subject available online.

Buying speakers blind is very risky because you may not like their sound. Also, if it all boils down to room acoustics the problems will continue with new speakers.

I only heard the CM8 S2s briefly at a shop and I remember not liking them. I don't think that CM range is neutral or tonally accurate. But that's only my (subjective) opinion.

Perhaps you can find a dealer that can accommodate a home demo or lend you some speakers. That would be ideal.

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Monitor Audio isn't my cup of tea -- but Arcam and MA should work together reasonably well. [I don't know your particular speakers, but have listened to other MA.] Make it any warmer, and you might fall asleep... I would retire your CD player, and try Arcam's CDP. That might fix the problem!

Iprefer78's

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. My two really local dealers offer a narrow choice of equipment (Nothing wrong with either dealer, just don't offer anything suitable for me). The next are 22 mile round trip, then much further afield, so I look like putting some unleaded in my car & go driving round the country! At least if I don't find what I'm looking for, it will keep me occupied!!*biggrin*

MartinS21

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I have never heard them myself, but I am told that Cambridge Audio Azure are a "warm smooth sound"

They are only available from Richer sounds, but may be worth a listen on your travels.

Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts