New Amplifier Recommendation

Berberian Dreamer

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I was looking to buy some computer speakers so that I can listen to music on my laptop, but since they are just sitting there gathering dust, I'm trying to put my dad's old Tannoy Mercury S speakers to good use. I already have an Apogee Duet (DAC and preamp) so I suppose all I need is a power amp now. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend something not too expensive (between $100 and $200 would be ideal) for this purpose?

Thanks, any help at all would be appreciated!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Others may know better, but as far as I'm aware, there aren't really many cheap power amps in the hi-fi world. I think if you were spending a couple of hundred dollars you would get far better performance out of a pair of active monitors using the Duet as DAC and preamp. Something like a pair of Fostex PM0.4d. Alternatively I think you would be better off looking for a used integrated amp for the Tannoys and using the Duet just as a DAC.

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey,

$200 is not a lot of money these days to spend on a new power amp, but I got your amp for you. I saw $ signs on your post so I assume you live in the USA or Canada? Check out this amp, Amazon is selling it for only $125 and it looks well built inside. It was a popular cheap choice in the 1990's for many. I can't beleive they still sell them.
AudioSource AMP-100 Stereo Power Amplifier

Berberian Dreamer

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Happy_Listner said:
Hey,

$200 is not a lot of money these days to spend on a new power amp, but I got your amp for you. I saw $ signs on your post so I assume you live in the USA or Canada? Check out this amp, Amazon is selling it for only $125 and it looks well built inside. It was a popular cheap choice in the 1990's for many. I can't beleive they still sell them.

AudioSource AMP-100 Stereo Power Amplifier

Thanks for this, it seems like a pretty decent deal to me. I live in Malaysia though, so I don't know if I can find one with the correct power rating (mains here is 240V and I'd rather not get a step-down transformer). I searched Amazon UK, and found some other options though:

Pioneer A-10-K: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-A-10-K-50W-Stereo-Amplifier-Black/dp/B0082JFKPQ/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_0

and a whole bunch of mini-amplifiers, though I suspect these won't sound good :p

Happy_Listner

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I don't think I can help you further as I am not too familiar with the Malaysian market. I know that Pioneer amp but it is an integrated amp and not a power amp. Didn't you just want a power amp? You could try the used marketplace. You must have some sort of Ebay or Audiogon there right? You could look for a used Rotel, Adcom, NAD, or AMC amp. Good luck in your search.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts