New amplifier for B&W 685

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Im going to purchace a pair of b&w 685's or CM1s soon. I currently own a cambridge audio a500 amp, (not to be confused with the more modern models 550a etc. the a500 is old)

How much difference will upgrading my amp make?

or do you advise spending more on speakers and getting the CM1s?

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

15m^2

listening distance 3m

Sources: squeezebox, cds, spotify streaming - going to buy a DAC for my comp as well

A

Anonymous

If would stick with the 685, cm1 is a bit small, maybe the CM 5 would be a better upgrade.

A good Rotel amp, Rotel 06 2nd hand would please your 685 too, Cambridge 650 2nd hand is awesome too.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the reply,

I assume you think its worht the money to upgrade the amp then?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I don't know you Cambridge amp, maybe you could bring the amp to a local B&W dealer and try some other amps like the Marantz pm 7004, Cambridge 650, Rotel 06 etc.

You could also try the Exposure 1010 it is an entry level amp but extremely good it sounds like the older 2010s for less money.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response,

been looking at DACs and there's a wide range of products, would a £30 DAC be suitable for my PC to amp? If not any suggetsions? (under £80)

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response,

been looking at DACs and there's a wide range of products, would a £30 DAC be suitable for my PC to amp? If not any suggetsions? (under £80)

Thanks

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Record Spot might chip in here to tell you about the Onkyo TX-8050.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/onkyo-tx-8050-alert-its-arrived-its-arrived?page=25

Have a look, it might be right up your street.

McRagefit

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I have a pair of 685s hooked up to a marantz pm6003 and am very satisfied with the sound quality! I believe the (newer) pm6004 should be on your audition list :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
isaacpickett95 said:
Thanks for the response,

Thanks

Over on the '£1000 DAC' thread I said that even cheap DAC's are good these days. Difficult to generalize if you haven't heard or measured each and every one but I think you may be pushing it a little going that cheap. Some praise Behringer DAC's, they are a huge company with probably equally large R&D resources but a lot of the stuff is for the pro market and can look a bit industrial. Maybe something like MF's lates V-DAC at around £200 or a DACmagic are nicer looking whilst still not expensive?

Other than that I agree with others here that the newer AV receivers seem good value. Alternatively, perhaps look at Teac's AR-650, a £200 integrated amplifier that measured almost exactly the same as Creeks Destiny 2 (£1700), from distortion to power.

regards

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I still use my cambridge a500 to drive my front speakers in my A/V set up and it still going strong and was a good amp in its day at £200.

Should sound good with the B&W 685.

I would def take it along with you to a dealers and see how it stacks up against the latest price comparable competition. I bet you will need to spend upwards of £400 to beat it though!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts