chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Have got my grubby paws on some funds for a new amp!

Having demoed the Rega Elex-R and loved it, I was leaning that way.

However, I've now seen the Primare I22 available at a very good price, and there are other options such as end of line Arcams in the price ball park also.

Budget is £900 plus whatever the Cyrus goes for, and if there is a built in phono stage, I can add in the value of the Rega Fono MM also....

I don't think I'm going to have much chance to dem, so hoping the good citizens of the forum might throw some advice my way to narrow the field.

Looking to exert more control over the KEFs particularly in the bass, and to have a little more sparkle in the high end.

Im not going to be able to change the speakers.

Cheers everyone.

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
There has been alot of discussion recently about the significance of SQ in amps. Although it is something to bear in mind I would also think about inputs (digital and analog), outputs, tone controls, power, build quality. I have the cambridge CX80. With your budget how about the Azur amp?

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I may see if I can get to hear a Cambridge Audio, it's not a brand I've ever really considered.

Similarly, the Creek. I'm sorry, but there's no way I could live with the Croft. It may sound awful, but I'd need to listen from a different room so I don't have to look at it!

More research to be done!

A Cyrus One HD will be worth a try. I’ve used a Cyrus One as a power amplifier in my system, and it’s crazy how good it made the old speakers I’m using sound, which as far as drivers go are similar to the ATC SCM7s. They sounded fine with my Rotel amp (a Class D design like the Primare), but the Cyrus sounds a little more believable due to a little more warmth, but not too much, but with real bass weight that is there when it’s needed. Effortless.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Safe in the knowledge of a 30-day no quibble refund policy, I've only gone and ordered the Primare!!!

It will arrive tomorrow, so there will be a mad scramble to get home and set it up prior to the football and do some quick listening!

This will be my first new amplifier for 17 years, so I am pretty excited.... I'll be sure to share my thoughts.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
Safe in the knowledge of a 30-day no quibble refund policy, I've only gone and ordered the Primare!!!

It will arrive tomorrow, so there will be a mad scramble to get home and set it up prior to the football and do some quick listening!

This will be my first new amplifier for 17 years, so I am pretty excited.... I'll be sure to share my thoughts.

Good choice....and should work well with with your Kefs (and you won't have to have it in another room. *wink* )

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
if you like the Rega go with that, no point in going with other's recommendations, i listened to 3 of the amps mentioned

and went with the one i liked best.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:

Fondly hope you are very pleased with the primare. Can you please share your listening experience once you have heard a bit and have the time please.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:

didn't realise you have bought the Primare, should read all the posts more carefully, good luck with it

i dont think you will be dissapointed.

gasolin

newlash09 said:
chris_bates1974 said:

Fondly hope you are very pleased with the primare. Can you please share your listening experience once you have heard a bit and have the time please.

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/primare-i22

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts