New Amp Suggestions

con7711

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
I am considering a new amp. What would you recommend, or would you recommend sticking with what I have?

Setup is:
Amp: Yahama S-N602
Streamer and DAC: Wiim Pro Plus (I use the internal DAC of this instead of the Yamaha)
Turntable: Rega Planar 2 going into a Mani 2 phono stage (I use this rather than the phono stage of the Yamaha)
Speakers: Q Acoustics concept 30's
I have a subwoofer.

I want to spend less than $1000 CDN or about $750 USD on the amp. I don't need a DAC, Bluetooth, or phono stage, but I do want volume control and a remote would be a bonus.
I am willing to buy used and expect to really.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I often wonder if posts like this are serious. You'll just get everyone recommending their 'favorite' amps based on usage with different equipment!
What is it that you don't like about the Yamaha... apart from it's DAC and it's phono input (I'm guessing that you mean the R-N602)?
How do you envisage a new amp. improving your current sound?
If you search Crutchfield for amps between 700 and 800 USD you'll get a list of currently 2 models (in stock).
Where do you plan on buying from? Can you get to a dealer and audition? Are you happy to buy used?

I can tell you that my R-N800a has a better digital board than the WiiM Pro Plus. (they are currently only $900 USD's but still more than you state that you would like to pay).

I am considering a new amp. What would you recommend, or would you recommend sticking with what I have?

Setup is:
Streamer and DAC: Wiim Pro Plus (I use the internal DAC of this instead of the Yamaha)
Turntable: Rega Planar 2 going into a Mani 2 phono stage (I use this rather than the phono stage of the Yamaha)

I want to spend less than $1000 CDN or about $750 USD on the amp. I don't need a DAC, Bluetooth, or phono stage, but I do want volume control and a remote would be a bonus.

Any suggestions?
If you have a turntable, you'll need to purchase amp with a phono stage. On a limited budget it's the wisest route to go down.

Rega is a good shout
Used Roksan Kandy K2
Arcam (any used model that falls inside your budget).

There are many other brands but not sure what's available in your country.

What do you think needs improving with the sound of your system?

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site

Setup is:

Any suggestions?
I use at home Rega Brio 2017 (last model) in my small setup. This is still a killer amp, terrific sound. Very, very good MM phono amp inside and remote as well. Yamaha in this price range is nowere near best amps. Sorry Yamaha. And do not believe that new Arcam Radio 5 is better. It is NOT better. Less drive, less balls, less control of speakers. Also phono in Brio is a class better than in Arcam. Arcam has dac inside. Does not matter to me. It just dicrease budget for a real amp inside. Take a listen, this is most important. And remember Q Acoustics count on ballsy amps, they need commanding amp.

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
I see your loudspeakers are expensive but as they have the book shelf format their sound box is limited of course. Personally I'd go for bigger speakers though of course that isn't as sexy as newer devices ;-)

I use at home Rega Brio 2017 (last model) in my small setup. This is still a killer amp, terrific sound. Very, very good MM phono amp inside and remote as well. Yamaha in this price range is nowere near best amps. Sorry Yamaha. And do not believe that new Arcam Radio 5 is better. It is NOT better. Less drive, less balls, less control of speakers. Also phono in Brio is a class better than in Arcam. Arcam has dac inside. Does not matter to me. It just dicrease budget for a real amp inside. Take a listen, this is most important. And remember Q Acoustics count on ballsy amps, they need commanding amp.
But he doesn't want a phono stage....or a DAC come to that

con7711

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
Man...I was only asking for some guidance here.
So many comments above were 'misses'...
I stated I had an external DAC and phono stage.
I stated the price I could afford in CDN and USD ($750).
I was serious because I was looking for some help to upgrade.
Tough reception for a noob here..jesus

con7711

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
If you have a turntable, you'll need to purchase amp with a phono stage. On a limited budget it's the wisest route to go down.

Rega is a good shout
Used Roksan Kandy K2
Arcam (any used model that falls inside your budget).

There are many other brands but not sure what's available in your country.

What do you think needs improving with the sound of your system?
I have a seperate phono stage

Reactions: iandb1970

con7711

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
I often wonder if posts like this are serious. You'll just get everyone recommending their 'favorite' amps based on usage with different equipment!
What is it that you don't like about the Yamaha... apart from it's DAC and it's phono input (I'm guessing that you mean the R-N602)?
How do you envisage a new amp. improving your current sound?
If you search Crutchfield for amps between 700 and 800 USD you'll get a list of currently 2 models (in stock).
Where do you plan on buying from? Can you get to a dealer and audition? Are you happy to buy used?

I can tell you that my R-N800a has a better digital board than the WiiM Pro Plus. (they are currently only $900 USD's but still more than you state that you would like to pay).
I was serious because I was looking for some guidance

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
I have a sub too and love my speakers for my room size
I understand, but in that case I would stick with what you have unless you are willing to buy a used amp that has a much higher price tag when it comes new.
And I would definitely test it before I would buy it to hear if the difference in sound justifies the investment.

Leon74

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
There is one other thing you could consider: Some amps/receivers have a clearer, more transparent sound, others have a warmer sound, again others have more treble or bass when switched to flat. If the Yamaha isn't really to your taste, it could be worth buying a new one in the same price category, but of course you would have to do a lot of listening to different devices. It would be a pity if you would spend the money and yet be disappointed afterwards.

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I would just wait and save up for a more substantial upgrade and it sounds like that's what others are leaning towards as well. I'm currently in the same boat. I want a nice amp to power my focal floorstanders. I currently have about the cheapest receiver that Sony makes. I want a nice amp to match my speakers but right now I just can't afford it so I will wait and in the meantime I'm making small upgrades to my system.

Reactions: Leon74

Tinman1952

Man...I was only asking for some guidance here.
So many comments above were 'misses'...
I stated I had an external DAC and phono stage.
I stated the price I could afford in CDN and USD ($750).
I was serious because I was looking for some help to upgrade.
Tough reception for a noob here..jesus
Ignore the few (usually newbies) who don't read your post and just recommend their favourite kit ad nauseum....
The logical upgrade for you would be the R-N800A...so start saving 🙂

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
@con7711 Sorry some seem to have given you a frosty reception. Anyhow let's see. Now I can't comment on sound with your chosen components, all I can really do is give a more general "this might be good start here" kind of response. And im sorry to say in this day and age there may be some overlap with your current stuff alot of amps now come with dacs and phono stages built in.

You havn't also really stated what you feel is missing from your sound and what your hopping to gain which makes suggestions all that much harder. so ill keep it quite broad.

below ill give a list of amps ive heard and some I have used and owned

Second hand. you'll get the best bang for buck here

Marantz PM7200 a really rather special amp belive there was also a later 7300 model I own the 7200 and still use to this day.
Any sort of rotel
Arcam a80/85
Hegal
Naim there can be some great deals about but few and fair between so might be abit out of budget
NAD c370

new
well its your usual suspects really they all have something within your budget.

Yamaha
Rotel
Rega
NAD

But if you want some serious value look for AVR's on the second hand market, the AVR crowd put these out to pasture purely because they don't have the latest and greatest and they dont hold value because of it. There lose is your gain. These are BIG once high end units that sound fab and will drive anything you through at them, they will also give you proper bass management of your subwoofer making it bleed more seamlessly into you room and system (don't under estimate subwoofer delay). And depending the age of the unit they make even come with room correction.

Anthem MRX 300/500. Make sure its been completely wiped if they have PBK kit (room correction)
Denon AVC-A11SR/Denon AVC-A1SR
Yamaha DSP-AZ1 really rather special by any amplifier standard and really dont make them like this anymore.
Arcam pick you poison load on there
Rotel RSX-1550 any rotel AVR from the last 20 years all very good and sound fab

keep your wim as a streamer and you plug in your phono stage into what ever input you like.

Just my thoughts pull from it what you like.

Reactions: njprrogers

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I was serious because I was looking for some guidance
These questions always result in folks just listing off their favorite amps. and you didn't provide much info. on your particular needs.
We don't know what type of music you listen to or if you are a heavy vinyl user with occasional streaming or vice versa.
I would say go for the Yamaha R-N800a, but you will be paying for stuff you don't need (i.e a phono input and streaming capability... which you already have covered).
It's getting harder to find amps that don't have DAC's built in (which apparently you don't need) or perhaps you do?
Some people don't like Yamaha and think they sound 'thin'.
I can tell you that I have compared the WiiM PP to the 800a and the 800a (IMHO) sounds better (I use Qobuz). So perhaps sell the WiiM... however, the WiiM app is overall more user friendly than MusicCast, but that also depends what streaming service you use.
BTW I use my 800a with Q Acoustics speakers (which are 3050's... not as good as yours).
I would perhaps spend the money on a sub or some floorstanders but that depends on your listening space
and your taste in music/requirements for bass extension.
Perhaps keep the amp and try a pair of QA 5040's if you like the QA sound signature? Although WHF mag. states that they are not as forgiving as previous QA models and so they may not go well with your current amp. (I can't actually find any info. on the 'S-N602' model)?
It's a roll of the dice unless you can get to audition some kit someplace.

Last edited:

Fandango Andy

Setup is:
I have a subwoofer.

I am willing to buy used and expect to really.

Any suggestions?

There are lot of UK people on here, as others have mentioned we don't always know US & Canadian prices and availability. From a little research it looks like you are looking in a similar price bracket to what you have. If you want to upgrade, the best place to start, what are you hoping to achieve? Are you unhappy with any aspect of the Yamaha?

Reactions: Leon74 and DougK1

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
A good list a bit further up from twinkletoes 2 amps in there tho id have a good listen to before you buy Arcam 80/85 I had one of those in-between an Alpha9 and a Arcam A32 I could never get the A85 to sound right and the other one is the big Yams they can sound a bit thin on bass the Arcam A32 if you could get one with a phono stage fitted is a cracking Amp ;-)

Reactions: twinkletoes

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts