New Amp required or not ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am taking the plunge and investing in one of the new Panasonic Blu Ray players ( prob the BD 60 ). My current home cinema system consists of the Kef 2005.2 speakers, Panasonic DVD recorder, a Panasonic Plasma tv and a Sherwood AV amp that must be 6 or 7 years old now. ( although saying that I bought it the same time as I bought the Kef Eggs) The AMP has no HDMI connectivity. Will I benefit from upgrading my Amp to get the best out of a Blu Ray player? If yes any recommendations for a £400 or so budget? I am liking what I have read about the Yamaha DSP-AX763 but havent actually heard what it is capable of.

Any help gratefully received.

Dave

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
p198218:
I am taking the plunge and investing in one of the new Panasonic Blu Ray players ( prob the BD 60 ). My current home cinema system consists of the Kef 2005.2 speakers, Panasonic DVD recorder, a Panasonic Plasma tv and a Sherwood AV amp that must be 6 or 7 years old now. ( although saying that I bought it the same time as I bought the Kef Eggs) The AMP has no HDMI connectivity. Will I benefit from upgrading my Amp to get the best out of a Blu Ray player? If yes any recommendations for a £400 or so budget? I am liking what I have read about the Yamaha DSP-AX763 but havent actually heard what it is capable of.

Any help gratefully received.

Dave

Without question. There are quite a few receivers that will give you HD audio from your BD player. The step up in sound will be huge. Try the usual suspects; Denon 1909, Onkyo 606, Sony 2400es, Yamaha 763, all of these will have you smiling - they can all be bought for under £400.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

The magazine reviewed all of these amps - if you follow the review links at the top of the page, you'll be able to see what was said about them etc. etc. etc.

As always, use the reviews as a guide, finalise your own choices and take your own material, be that DVD, CD or BD with you so you watch and listen to artists/films you are familiar with to any audition.

You may be able to sweet talk a free/reduced price speaker cable/HDMI cable upgrade/purchase at the same time.

Tell your local hi-fi/home cinema retailer (not the white goods multis - you know who I mean) you have KEF eggs at home and they will sort out the listening room with the current version of your eggs (as long as they are a KEF stockist) to let you hear a similar sound to what you should get when you get back home with your shiny new toy.

Enjoy :)

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Gents,

Many thanks for the responses. I have gone for the Yamaha DSP AX763 AMP and Panasonic DMP BD60 Blu Ray player. Will prob hook up with the QED Qunex HDMI and I will be up and running. Cant wait !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts