New amp question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I agree that the NAD C326 BEE would be a great buy; there's a few on eBay currently.

However the likes of the Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 would work very well indeed. I'd say that the NAD C355BEE that's on eBay would work very well too. I've owned the NAD C352 in the past and that was a superb, gutsy amp and I think the C355BEE is the 352 in new clothing!

Theyd all manage your B&Ws very well...

PaulCon

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I put a bid in for £55 for a 250SE last night and it was accepted this morning, need to look for a DAC and NAS now :wall:

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
PaulCon said:
I put a bid in for £55 for a 250SE last night and it was accepted this morning, need to look for a DAC and NAS now :wall:

Again, i would still recommend Camridge Audio range of DAC's for electronic music. Good luck and well done on the Denon.....Nice price!

PaulCon

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Drove from near Crewe to Derby to pick the amp up tonight as I've been without an amp for nearly a week and it's driving me mad, anyways I hooked it up and have to say I'm over the moon, all in all the DM601's (in perfect nick) and PMA-250SE cos me £140 which I'm chuffed with, sounds soooooooooo much better than the RA-971 did, loads of energy and punch.

Moon, I'll keep my eye out for a DACMagic, just a quick one do DAC's really make that much difference, well £200's worth of differnce as I've never heard one (apart from builtin to phones, cd players, etc).

:dance: :rockout: :clap:

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
PaulCon, I bought two identical amplifiers over the weekend for £150 each. I wanted to investigate if £150 to £300 is all you'll ever need to spend on solid state amplifiers.

I have no idea how good these amplifiers will sound, but quite frankly I'll be disappointed if they don't sound better than Naim NAP500's...

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
If you were looking at the PM6003, last time I checked richersounds they had clearance ones going for £150, probably be in a similar condition to preowned ones and would come with a warranty. Can't vouch for the combination, but for £150 it's a pretty good amp I'd say :)

http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/marantz/pm6003/mara-pm6003-blk

I guess it's just a case of whether they have one near you . . And if you want one. That's probably pretty important.

Oops, just realised you already have one . . Still, anyone in the market for a cheapish amp. It's pretty good.

PaulCon

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
PaulCon, I bought two identical amplifiers over the weekend for £150 each. I wanted to investigate if £150 to £300 is all you'll ever need to spend on solid state amplifiers.

I have no idea how good these amplifiers will sound, but quite frankly I'll be disappointed if they don't sound better than Naim NAP500's...

Hi Lindsay,

It all depends on what sound you want like the other guys said, which two amps did you get?

PaulCon

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Ryan92 said:
If you were looking at the PM6003, last time I checked richersounds they had clearance ones going for £150, probably be in a similar condition to preowned ones and would come with a warranty. Can't vouch for the combination, but for £150 it's a pretty good amp I'd say :)

http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/marantz/pm6003/mara-pm6003-blk

I guess it's just a case of whether they have one near you . . And if you want one. That's probably pretty important.

Oops, just realised you already have one . . Still, anyone in the market for a cheapish amp. It's pretty good.

Nice find Ryan, I gotta be honest for £55 I'm over the moon with this amp, need to find a good NAS (iTunes server) and DAC now for £250, I'd have more but the GF wants a holiday in May, women huh :roll:

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I got two Urei 6290's. Crewe isn't a million miles from where I live. I'd be happy to bring one of them round for a listening session at your place.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
PaulCon said:
just a quick one do DAC's really make that much difference, well £200's worth of differnce as I've never heard one (apart from builtin to phones, cd players, etc).

You will get a far bigger difference in sound from changing speakers or an amplifier than with a Dac. Only my opinion, I have had two external Dacs and ended up selling them both as I couldn't really tell the difference.

PaulCon said:
Drove from near Crewe to Derby to pick the amp up tonight as I've been without an amp for nearly a week and it's driving me mad, anyways I hooked it up and have to say I'm over the moon, all in all the DM601's (in perfect nick) and PMA-250SE cos me £140 which I'm chuffed with, sounds soooooooooo much better than the RA-971 did, loads of energy and punch.

Moon, I'll keep my eye out for a DACMagic, just a quick one do DAC's really make that much difference, well £200's worth of differnce as I've never heard one (apart from builtin to phones, cd players, etc).

Hi Paul

Nice one 8) Good to hear that you're happy with the PMA-250SE :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Paul

The RA-1062's higher quality of amplification enables the RA-1062 to offer (amongst its other qualities) even greater levels of punch without sounding harsh :) The RA-1062 will eat the PMA-250SE for breakfast :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Read his initial post again... he's not keen on the Rotel. Clearly he's looking at any brand rather than trust another make that doesn't do it for him.

Hi plastic penguin

Firstly the RA-1062 is in a different league to the RA-971.

Secondly if the OP wasn't keen on Rotel then there would be no need for him to consider the RA-1062.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That's because you thrusted the Rotel down his throat... three times on one page to be exact.

Yes the Rotel is a very good amp, clearly you love it, but it doesn't mean everyone has the same taste or views as you or me. Moreover, they only come up about half a dozen times a year on average.

As always with you: If in doubt throw the Rotel 1062 at them.

Yes, I know - 20,000 of your customers compared the Rotel to Arcam A85 and they all chose the Rotel.

Hi plastic penguin

No intention to thrust the RA-1062 down the OP's throat. As i've said to you before i don't benefit from recommending the RA-1062 at all as i don't deal with used components.

Yes, the RA-1062 is a very good amplifier :rockout: Nice to see that you keep a count on the availability of the RA-1062 on the used market :)

I wasn't in doubt about the RA-1062 otherwise i wouldn't have mentioned the RA-1062 in four posts on the previous page :grin:

Not 20,000 :? It was 90 out of 92 of my customers bought the RA-1062 over the A85.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts