New amp needed

arley

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm in the fortunate position to be able to think about upgrading my Quad-303 which has stood many years of excellent service. It was serviced two years ago with upgraded caps etc and still sounds very good. I currently drive it directly from my Beresford Caiman II DAC which does a reasonable job.

So....source is Sonos/TV into my Beresford DAC and currently fed directly into the Quad-303 Power Amp which is driving Q-Acoustics 2050i speakers. I'm thinking of spending up to about £1K (maybe £1,200 if absolutely necessary) and in a bit of a dilemma between straight power-amp or an integrated. On the integrated front, I've been thinking of the Rega Elex-R which seems to have a lot of love on the boards (going for a listen over the weekend). If I went for a power only setup there's the Roksan K3? Obviously the integrated amp has the benefit of a remote but I also don't need phono input and the Beresford has multiple digital inputs. I listen to a broad mix of music from classical, world, pop and rock plus 2.1 from the TV.

Opinions, anyone?

Thanks,

Ian

matthewpiano

The Rega amps are superb. Only an audition will tell you whether they are right for you. It might be worth trying 2 Rega options:

Elex-R or Brio-R with DAC-R.

It would be interesting for you to see whether the Elex-R with your Beresford DAC or the Rega amp/DAC combination sounds best.

Also worth considering Arcam A29 and, as you are moving from a Quad power amp, the Quad Vena.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts