New Amp - Advice please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Current system: Cambridge Audio A5 amp, Yamaha HDCD1300 cd player / hard-disk, Monitor Audio BR5 speakers, Chord Cobra interconnects & Carnival Plus single wire speaker cable.

Hi all - I'm looking to upgrade my amp in the above system and I have a budget of £650 - £700. I've considered the Roksan Kandy, however I understand that it has no balance controls. This presents a small issue as one of my speakers is positioned in a slight alcove and definitely benefits from a small lean to the left on the balance.

Can anybody recommend anything else which might be suitable for my budget / system? Also, would an upgrade of interconnects / cables be of any significant difference?

I listen to everything from rock to House music to classical.

Thanks very much for reading.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Debagio:Current system: Cambridge Audio A5 amp, Yamaha HDCD1300 cd player / hard-disk, Monitor Audio BR5 speakers, Chord Cobra interconnects & Carnival Plus single wire speaker cable.

Hi all - I'm looking to upgrade my amp in the above system and I have a budget of £650 - £700. I've considered the Roksan Kandy, however I understand that it has no balance controls. This presents a small issue as one of my speakers is positioned in a slight alcove and definitely benefits from a small lean to the left on the balance.

Can anybody recommend anything else which might be suitable for my budget / system? Also, would an upgrade of interconnects / cables be of any significant difference?

I listen to everything from rock to House music to classical.

Thanks very much for reading.

There are still some bargain Arcam A32 amps on Ebay (from proper hifi shops) for under £700
A serious bargain, and suit MA speakers

A

Anonymous

Just seen the Arcam Diva A70 on Ebay for £350.. would it be suitable for the BR5s??

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO the Arcam A70 would be a better match with the BR5 speakers then the Roksan amp

Arcam suits M/A very well and to be honest, again IMP the Roksan would be overkill on the BR5 speakers.

The benefit with the A70 amp is that you can add the matching power amp at a later date or even add a more powerful power amp such as the P85 or P90 Arcam DiVA power amps.

d_a_n1979:IMO the Arcam A70 would be a better match with the BR5 speakers then the Roksan amp

Arcam suits M/A very well and to be honest, again IMP the Roksan would be overkill on the BR5 speakers.

The benefit with the A70 amp is that you can add the matching power amp at a later date or even add a more powerful power amp such as the P85 or P90 Arcam DiVA power amps.

I don't think the A70 has tone controls. Otherwise, like d_a_n1979 I would highly recommend the A70 or even the A65+

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
My brother has the A70 with an Arcam CD73T and BR5's and it sounds very good. That set up seems to give quite a lot of bass, a lot more than my own set up with bookshelf speakers. But to be honest i much prefer the detail and pace of the Epos speakers............. I can confirm the A70 does not have tone controls but the FMJ A32 does. I used to own the A70 myself and it is a great deal for the £300 price mark but i do find the FMJ to add much more body, punch and control to the music and i think it is one of Arcam's best amps. The FMJ A32 is a definite worthwhile amplifier at £700 (if you can afford that) which is the available price while stocks last at the moment.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Take a look at decent examples of the Arcam Alpha 9 or 10 integrated amps. Both very good; where the DiVA range stemmed from and IMO again, the Alpha series sounds better!

All with tone controls too :)

matthewpiano

The Arcam Alpha amps are better than the DiVA ones IMO too. A late one could make a very good buy. I couldn't live with the A70 in the end - it sapped too much of the life out of everything for me. I love the Azur 740A. Listening to the Bruch Violin Concerto on it now with my headphones and it sounds superb though it could possibly be a bit on the bright side with your MA speakers.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
think the op was after an amp with speaker balance left to right adjust, not tone controls, or as well as tone controls. CA 640 amp has balance and tone controls but might not balance with the br5's. but then it does have tone control.....maybe someone else could advise as to synergy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts