New (Active) kid on the block

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
They seemed very good, perhaps not as good as the Kefs but I spent longer in the Kef room as at my age I can't sit on bean bags. You don't need to adjust the volume each time via both speakers. You can set them as you like for balance purposes but then control them with a preamp.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I thought it would be best to use a pre-amp for volume control. Can I ask, was it the active KEFs that you heard? Also, not sure whether the AE1s are rear ported?

insider9

muljao said:
Doesn't using a preamp take some of the convenience shine off them do you think?

A good few streamers will be able to control volume even if they don't offer any other preamp facilities.

Sorry OP not to derial but I can see a change in Muljao's signature :) Any thoughts on your new addition?

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Bit of an unfair comparison as the Kefs are at a much higher price point and I think are aiming at a different market. They are going for the minimalist and convenient but still great sound whilst the AEs are aiming to add active speakers as an upgrade to an existing separates system I think so no internal dac or Bluetooth

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
muljao said:
Doesn't using a preamp take some of the convenience shine off them do you think?

A good few streamers will be able to control volume even if they don't offer any other preamp facilities. 

Sorry OP not to derial but I can see a change in Muljao's signature :) Any thoughts on your new addition?
I have them bought the last two weeks and the Q acoustics sold, but my brother picked them up for me up the country and he has been unable to get back down, could be a while before I hear them :(

insider9

muljao said:
insider9 said:
muljao said:

I have them bought the last two weeks and the Q acoustics sold, but my brother picked them up for me up the country and he has been unable to get back down, could be a while before I hear them :(
Ah, I feel for you. Let us know when you've had them for a while. Interested to know what you'll make of them.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

Just to address some of the points on the connectivity and control options being discussed; It's something we considered often when designing the AE1 Actives but we felt leaving connectivity options open to the user meant they would be more flexible and future proof. It means you can connect your phone, tablet, laptop, preamp, DAC, streamer etc directly to the speakers and control volume from those without us having to fill the speaker with electronics. You could even make a 5.1 system out of the same speaker x5 rather than being limited to only using a pair! The AE1 Actives will likely be used in the Pro industry too where mixing desk or computer will be the preamp.

The additional benefits of going this route are simplicity and reliability (I've had these amps running daily in the office for nearly 5 years at all volumes!), if we'd put Bluetooth 4.2 in it would already be going out of date, if we use a wireless connection the standard may change yet again (B-G-N... etc), if we use App control it causes locked-in use which may limit how you listen to your music or cause conflicts with other music playback apps. This way the AE1 Actives can't go "out of date", we want it to be a long term replacement for the passive AE1 and we like our reference level products to last and retain their value for their owners. Whatever the user decides to use on the front end can be changed without need to replace the speakers.

We also wanted to retain the pricing of the old AE1 without cutting any corners on quality, each speaker is hand-built and tested to within 0.5dB tolerance of reference then checked over by two members of staff who sign a QC form which we put in each box! We felt that adding non-essential internal components would raise the price and cause more potential problems as well as removing yet more choice in tuning the final sound with external seperates - something which has been raised as a negative of the active speaker concept. We think the largest benefits of an active speaker are primarily the sound quality - clarity, extremely low distortion, power, control and broad, clean frequency response. Those were the priorities over additional convenience.

I'm starting to sound far too much like a salesman so I'll leave it at that! I just wanted to give a little background to the concept so it hopefully makes sense. We heard a lot of positive feedback at the Bristol Show and from overseas distributors who have received their first sample orders, if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask here or contact us through the usual means!

Cheers,

Jim.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
AEJim said:
Hi guys,

Just to address some of the points on the connectivity and control options being discussed; It's something we considered often when designing the AE1 Actives but we felt leaving connectivity options open to the user meant they would be more flexible and future proof. It means you can connect your phone, tablet, laptop, preamp, DAC, streamer etc directly to the speakers and control volume from those without us having to fill the speaker with electronics. You could even make a 5.1 system out of the same speaker x5 rather than being limited to only using a pair! The AE1 Actives will likely be used in the Pro industry too where mixing desk or computer will be the preamp.

The additional benefits of going this route are simplicity and reliability (I've had these amps running daily in the office for nearly 5 years at all volumes!), if we'd put Bluetooth 4.2 in it would already be going out of date, if we use a wireless connection the standard may change yet again (B-G-N... etc), if we use App control it causes locked-in use which may limit how you listen to your music or cause conflicts with other music playback apps. This way the AE1 Actives can't go "out of date", we want it to be a long term replacement for the passive AE1 and we like our reference level products to last and retain their value for their owners. Whatever the user decides to use on the front end can be changed without need to replace the speakers.

We also wanted to retain the pricing of the old AE1 without cutting any corners on quality, each speaker is hand-built and tested to within 0.5dB tolerance of reference then checked over by two members of staff who sign a QC form which we put in each box! We felt that adding non-essential internal components would raise the price and cause more potential problems as well as removing yet more choice in tuning the final sound with external seperates - something which has been raised as a negative of the active speaker concept. We think the largest benefits of an active speaker are primarily the sound quality - clarity, extremely low distortion, power, control and broad, clean frequency response. Those were the priorities over additional convenience.

I'm starting to sound far too much like a salesman so I'll leave it at that! I just wanted to give a little background to the concept so it hopefully makes sense. We heard a lot of positive feedback at the Bristol Show and from overseas distributors who have received their first sample orders, if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask here or contact us through the usual means!

Cheers,

Jim.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Did you mange to secure your DM10's before the £500 price hike?

They are amazing speakers, as I'm sure the Kef Wireless model is. I'd love to see a bake off between the two models.

As for preamp and other electrics in the speaker, I'm not a fan and much prefer the preamp section to be a separate unit.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It appears that the AE1 actives already have their first glowing review. The latest edition of Hi Fi Choice awards them 5 stars and Editor's choice.

Will contact a retailer at some point soon to try and arrange an audition/comparison with my present speakers. Other contenders are the AVIs (5s and 10s) but I don' t think the KEFs are for me. They include too much connectivity! I don't plan on losing my Linn streamer/pre-amp so much of the KEFs innards would be wasted. The AVI DM10s also contain DACs that I wouldn't need plus a recent hefty price rise puts me off a little!

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
but not in orange! I read somewhere (maybe here) a statement from the gentleman from AE that this colour is primarily aimed at the Asian market... Still the black and white versions look the business.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
They read like good speakers if the HifiChoice review is anything to go by.

Just wondered why the tweeter gets the same 50w as the bass/mid driver?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
AEJim said:
muljao said:
I wrote a big spiel and it got deleted when trying to post :(

I know that feeling only too well. *nea*

Ha, I'll try again, much shortened version

I have been looking with interest at powered /active speakers the last while.

These look great and I am sure sound great, but I think the complete lack of control other than physically approaching each one and adjusting the volume in each (and hoping that you get it right so the balance is correct) is not ideal for something that does not have a preamp (which is often the case-think regular cd player, tuner), and may be quite offputting when it's something that may need to be done in a darkened sitting room listening at night.

IMO As they are they are more like studio monitors, but a few inputs and a volume control would make them more like hifi. Convenience certainly can add to the appeal of a product, and many products that are convenient to use get a greater amount of users

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
AEJim said:
Hi guys,

Just to address some of the points on the connectivity and control options being discussed; It's something we considered often when designing the AE1 Actives but we felt leaving connectivity options open to the user meant they would be more flexible and future proof. It means you can connect your phone, tablet, laptop, preamp, DAC, streamer etc directly to the speakers and control volume from those without us having to fill the speaker with electronics. You could even make a 5.1 system out of the same speaker x5 rather than being limited to only using a pair! The AE1 Actives will likely be used in the Pro industry too where mixing desk or computer will be the preamp.

Cheers,

Jim.

Drummerman also asked but i also.wondered.

Howcome its a 50w amp.for bass and tweeter?

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
either the AE model (must read the review) or the KEF Wireless speakers but from my own experience with my brand of speakers it's a bloody nightmare trying to operate them blind, ie with no external pre-amp. I recent lost my Yamaha WXC-50 blew up on me twice (after being repaired) Trying to assess the volume of the DM10's armed only with their supplied remote was pretty scary. A pre-amp is an absolute must for me.

Maybe the Kef approach is workable for many but is it worth double the money...

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
Did you mange to secure your DM10's before the £500 price hike?

They are amazing speakers, as I'm sure the Kef Wireless model is. I'd love to see a bake off between the two models.

As for preamp and other electrics in the speaker, I'm not a fan and much prefer the preamp section to be a separate unit.

Yes, I was fortunate enough to get them before the price increase. I just got them today. I had a little trouble getting the CD optical connection working but the guys on the AVI forum were really helpful and Martin Hill of AVI even phoned me and was helping me fault find at gone 20:00. He found that I had not switched on the optical output from my Marantz PM 8005. Bloody brilliant service from AVI!

I know a lot of people on here don't like actives and some hate AVI but to be honest I'm so pleased with them I can't express how good they are.

As far as I'm concerned I've found audio heaven. I would especially like to the Davedotco for recommending actives.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Davedotco was also instrumental in my decision to go for the DM10's. He's probably very much unaware but I think perhaps last year I thanked him for his input, hope so.. Prior to the DM10's I was looking at the like of Adam AX7's. I admit I was somewhat lost.

The AVI forum I find to be very civil, informative, helpful and grown up... I don't really partake but enjoy the read. Glad they were able to help you, nothing like the personal touch. Nice of you to have acknowledged it here as I often read that their after sales customer service is lacking.

Pleased you purchased your pair before the prices sky rocketed. To me, even months later these speakers are nothing short of a revelation.

Enjoy!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The LS50W and the active AE1s, whilst both being genuinely active speakers, are, in my opinion, aiming for two different sectors of the active market. Leaving the technical merits of each speaker and their sound quality aside, the AE is keeping things simple and allowing you flexibility of the accompanying system, whereas KEF are basically handing you an all-in-one solution.

The AEs give you that system flexibility, but although the KEFs don't, you do get an app that allows you to help tune them to your room. I "get" both approaches. Neither is right or wrong, they're just for different people.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts