New (Active) kid on the block

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
AEJim said:
Good question Andrew - quite simply we don't have cooling fins because the amps don't need them! They're an efficient design and in all our stress testing we've never had one overheat or shut down. The steel rear panel and natural airflow through the ported cabinet is sufficient to keep them cool enough. The rear panel naturally gets quite warm in use but even after hours at high volume never gets too hot to touch, at worst you'd potentially get some self-limiting thermal compression rather than anything damaging but I've certainly never heard any. We had them running very loud for the duration of the Bristol Show and on the few occasions I turned the Bluesound Node up fully (speaker volumes set at around 90%) there were no signs of stress.

The only other pics I currently have are of the initial batch being built in the office (and the back of my head!), aside from that a few computer renders I've done for banners and brochures:

Im very keen to hear them so as soon as David has a pair set up, i'll be over at the little audio company. Good excuse to visit anyway.
I hope David offers his customers coffee?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Im very keen to hear them so as soon as David has a pair set up, i'll be over at the little audio company. Good excuse to visit anyway. I hope David offers his customers coffee?
Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, water (still or sparkling), or "other" by prior arrangement :)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davidf said:
Andrewjvt said:
Im very keen to hear them so as soon as David has a pair set up, i'll be over at the little audio company. Good excuse to visit anyway. I hope David offers his customers coffee?
Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, water (still or sparkling), or "other" by prior arrangement :)

Anything really as long as its not indian take away.

shadders

AEJim said:
shadders said:
Hi,

The speakers do look good. I am not able to see any pictures of the rear panel, but I assume 50watts is the limit without additional heatsinking, given the panel size. Small drivers seem to have a good impedance curve - bass/mid being 5ohms minimum. Would this be approximate for the AE1's?

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi Shadders, that's about right! There's a pic of the rear panel earlier in the thread but you've pretty much nailed it there. The 150w version of the amp we have does have additional heatsinking as it needs it.
Hi Jim,

I have a few questions - you may be able to answer them if it does not give away design principles :

I have been examining active crossovers, and I have some questions on the basic build of the AE active speakers.

Does AE use a capacitor on the output of the tweeter amplifier, and if so, is it a non polarised electrolytic or polypropylene ?

Does the bass-midrange/tweeter amplifier have any DC offset control, or is this omitted due to the output capacitor (for the tweeter) ?, and hence has manual offset control by a potentiometer ?

Is there hard limiting in the input of the speakers – such as using back to back zener diodes, to ensure that the speaker can only be driven to the amplifiers and speaker drivers maximum output ?.

I understand that not all questions may not be able to be answered.

Thanks and regards,

@page { margin: 2cm }
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120% }

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts