New Abrahamsen or used Electrocompaniet

insider9

Looking at second hand prices of Electrocompaniet amps vs the new Abrahamsen the new amps are really priced well.

Both in terms of specs are looking good. I can't quiet confirm how much of V2.0 70W is on Class A but at £800 new from Norway it looks a decent value. Used ECI-2 usually go for slightly less.

Don't really need an amp but would like some opinions, please.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
Looking at second hand prices of Electrocompaniet amps vs the new Abrahamsen the new amps are really priced well.

Both in terms of specs are looking good. I can't quiet confirm how much of V2.0 70W is on Class A but at £800 new from Norway it looks a decent value. Used ECI-2 usually go for slightly less.

Hmm this is a tough one. *scratch_one-s_head*

One is a brand new amp and the other an amp with at least 18 to 22 years on the clock.

The head says buy the Abrahamsen but the heart says the Electrocompaniet.

The Abrahamsen has better spec, is more powerful and dynamic but the Electro is smoother and sweeter like warm honey on the tongue but still sounds fresh and detailed .

The Electro might need a service and the bias adjusted back into spec but it is worth looking after this classic amp.

I think it's toss a coin time ( maybe several times ) until you get the answer you are looking for. *yes3*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
insider9 said:

Hmm this is a tough one.  *scratch_one-s_head*

One is a brand new amp and the other an amp with at least 18 to 22 years on the clock.

The head says buy the Abrahamsen but the heart says the Electrocompaniet.

The Abrahamsen has better spec, is more powerful and dynamic but the Electro is smoother and sweeter like warm honey on the tongue but still sounds fresh and detailed .

The Electro might need a service and the bias adjusted back into spec but it is worth looking after this classic amp.

I think it's toss a coin time ( maybe several times ) until you get the answer you are looking for. *yes3*

What speakers do you intend to use?

insider9

Haha good question. Feel free to post suggestions.

I'm using a pair for Jamo Concert 7 at the minute that I will be turning diy active. So not them :) and no I don't intend to buy 4 of either amps for that project.

I could get some Aurum Cantus or even go all out for electrostatics. It would be a completely new second system should I do it.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Haha good question. Feel free to post suggestions.

I'm using a pair for Jamo Concert 7 at the minute that I will be turning diy active. So not them :) and no I don't intend to buy 4 of either amps for that project.

I could get some Aurum Cantus or even go all out for electrostatics. It would be a completely new second system should I do it.

Both makes amps have massive power reserves and huge current capacity on offer so id go for the amp with the highest power ratings so you can go louder with inefficient speaker loads

Is Colin still supplying the brand? There was talk (by him) a few months ago about jacking the Abrahamsen range. If that's so, the OP will need to go direct to Per's lair and buy direct.

By the time you add the cost of the amp, the tax, shipping and probable delays, the Electro seems a no-brainer. Let's face it, old Per hasn't exactly demonstrated a great track record in quality control and communication outside of his adopted country.

insider9

Noticed a second hand Abrahamsen V2.0 a while ago :)

Waiting for the seller to confirm the age. He's not the first owner. What would you guys feel it's worth? New one from Norway currently £790 postage included.

Also I know I've seen them as early as 2008. Is that their first integrated? And could the unit be over 10 years old?

insider9 said:

Waiting for the seller to confirm the age. He's not the first owner. What would you guys feel it's worth? New one from Norway currently £790 postage included.

Also I know I've seen them as early as 2008. Is that their first integrated? And could the unit be over 10 years old?

Tricky to say but I do recall them being that old. As a rule of thumb I would say don't pay anywhere near 75% of original RRP.

If you can ignore lack of warranty then might be worth making a low bid for it.

Of course warranty from new probably means you have to cover cost of shipping back to Norway for remedial work.

insider9

Al ears said:
insider9 said:

Tricky to say but I do recall them being that old. As a rule of thumb I would say don't pay anywhere near 75% of original RRP.

Of course warranty from new probably means you have to cover cost of shipping back to Norway for remedial work.
Yes, agreed. Good to have a warranty but shipping to Norway and back would be expensive.

insider9

Al ears said:
insider9 said:

Yes, agreed. Good to have a warranty but shipping to Norway and back would be expensive.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
after all the fuss about ECP and Abe, Nord was the way to go, or that's what it all seemed a few months ago. FWIH Colin has indeed dropped Abe, not before time with all the supply/non-communication issues so step in Nord. Why do people make a really good 'thing' then fall away for no apparent reason? Really pees me off.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Agree

the abrahamsen 2up is a really good amplifier for the money but what let's it down is the company itself though the lack of communication so if you do buy one and it goes wrong you would have to get it fixed somewhere in the uk that services or fixes any make of amplifier .

its a shame that abrahamsen are like this whether the Europe customer service is like this I do not know but if it was me I would spend the money elsewhere .

insider9

Blacksabbath25 said:
Agree 

the abrahamsen 2up is a really good amplifier for the money but what let's it down is the company itself though the lack of communication so if you do buy one and it goes wrong you would have to get it fixed somewhere in the uk that services or fixes any make of amplifier  .

its a shame that abrahamsen are like this whether the Europe customer service is like this I do not know but if it was me I would spend the money elsewhere .

Hmmm.... Thanks for input Sabbath. Food for thought.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Agree

the abrahamsen 2up is a really good amplifier for the money but what let's it down is the company itself though the lack of communication so if you do buy one and it goes wrong you would have to get it fixed somewhere in the uk that services or fixes any make of amplifier .

its a shame that abrahamsen are like this whether the Europe customer service is like this I do not know but if it was me I would spend the money elsewhere .
Hmmm.... Thanks for input Sabbath. Food for thought.
the amplifier it's self is built like a tank and I never had an issue with mine when I owned one only with its matching CD player I had issues with as it never worked right out of the box as it needed a new cd mechanism and Colin was waiting ages to try and get a new mechanism from abrahamsen .

the other amplifier I know that does class A is sugdon but weather they still make amplifiers I am not sure and then there's Arcam which is class A-B but uses class A about 20% of the start of the volume .

insider9

gasolin said:
insider9 said:
gasolin said:
what about the new hegel H90?

Is Hegel Class A?

Does it matter?
It does for me :)

My experience with class AB is getting bigger and bigger. I want to listen to some proper class A. There's something about the timbre and "realness" to class A, I find fascinating. Unfortunately my only experience with class A in my listening room was EAR Yoshino valve amp and and a valve CD player. And that's not the level of spending I'd be willing to go to.

Mind, it's only a bit of fun and not for my main system. Just sold my Roksan Kandy KA-1 Mk III and ordered Naim Nait 5i-2.

insider9

Sugden would also be a good call. I actually nearly got one today but opted for Naim. With old Class A amps there's always a risk as they run hot. Never owned either of them and fancied to listen to Naim at home for while even though it's not Class A. Naim will be probably easier to resell.

Arcam is completely not what I'm looking for having owned three and heard a few more.

Like I said it's just a bit of fun.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Sugden would also be a good call. I actually nearly got one today but opted for Naim. With old Class A amps there's always a risk as they run hot. Never owned either of them and fancied to listen to Naim at home for while even though it's not Class A. Naim will be probably easier to resell.

Arcam is completely not what I'm looking for having owned three and heard a few more.

Like I said it's just a bit of fun.
Yep Naim has a very good customer service so I've been told and good resale value too not that I've ever owned one yet but been vey happy with my Yamaha but some day I probably buy a amplifier from Naim .

your will have let us all no what the Naim like which ever model you try as I would be interested to no *smile*

TRENDING THREADS