network av amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i wonder if anyone can help me to set up a yamaha rxn-600d av amp to a bt home hub and then to my laptop to allow me to use the network features. the yamahas set up guide requires me to fill in the following info to enable it to communicate with the home hub; IP,SUBNET,GATEWAY,DNS(P),DNS(S). I WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR ANY ADVICE ON SET UP OF THIS RECEIVER.

A

Anonymous

Don't know the Yamaha, but do know somewthing about networks - so:

IP is a network address, 4 numbers 0..255 with dots between. This is used to identify a particular network interface/connected device.

SUBNET is a mask used to work out whether another device can be reached directly or whether messages have to be routed through other machines to get there. Probably 255.255.255.0 if you've got a router like the home hub.

GATEWAY is the IP address of the machine that handles ('routes') messages to machines you can't reach directly. In your case, this will be the IP address of the local side of your home hub (IP addresses go by interface, remember, so your home hub has one IP address as seen by local machines, and another as seen by the rest of the world).

DNS stands for Domain name server, P is primary S is secondary. These are IP addresses of machines that translate human readable names like www.whathifi.co.uk into IP addresses like 10.51.294.87 that machines use.

Setting things up:

Assuming your laptop is working and connected, open a command prompt window (usually accessories/command prompt).

type

nslookup

this should produce something like:

C:UsersJerry>nslookup
Default Server: hh0ns01.three.co.uk
Address: 172.31.140.69:53

the bit you want is the bit before the :, so 172.31.140.69 in this example. use that for the DNS(P) entry. You can probably get away without a secondary entry if you there's only one listed as in my example - the secondary only gets used if the primary doesn't work.

type ctrl-Z to exit nslookup, (otherwise, it treats whatever you type as a machine name and tries to find the address for it) then type

ipconfig

that should produce lots of info. At or near the top should be the name of your wireless interface, followed by something like IPv4 address, Subnet mask, and default gateway.

you can use the 'Subnet mask' (which is probably 255.255.255.0) and the Default gateway (assuming it isn't 0.0.0.0), which should be the local IP address of your home hub. The IPV4 address is the one for your laptop. Not sure how the yamaha works - if it's trying to find the laptop, this may be what you want to use for the IP address entry, since the default gateway entry will let it find the home hub if it wants to talk to the rest of the internet. If it wants to know what its own (yamaha's) IP address should be, then see if there's a tickbox marked 'Use DHCP' or 'Obtain IP address automatically' or something similar. If it wants a DHCP server IP address then use the home hub one (from default gateway). This will let it get an address allocated by the home hub. If it doesn't have a 'use DHCP' option, then try taking the laptop address and change the last number to something well away like 100 or so.

Hope this is some help!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts