Neighbour friendly BK Monolith?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
o75tu5S.jpg

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Very wise posts telling you just get a feel for the place first. You might even find out that you really don't need a sub.

will see. gonna get new carpet fitted with underlay (i think) then get tv and av/r and centre (and probably surrounds) fitted, will see how impressed i am. if i need a bit more lower end kick i could purchase a small sub? something like the Yamaha YSTFW050 or the cambridge audio s90 (doesnt go as low as the yamaha though)

or can i get a better sub without still making it earthquake the floorboards? such as a wharfedale diamond sw150 wharfedale powercube spc-10, or BK xls200 or cambridge audio minx X200 (the x200 seems best for the price point and cheaper than the xls200..)

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hummm... :? I'm afraid if you put a Monolith in that living room all building might collapse...

If you want a BK think in the XLS200 FF, or a small sub from other brand.

putting it on spikes on a granite slab wont stop the building from collapsing still? :D

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
nugget2014 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Hummm... :? I'm afraid if you put a Monolith in that living room all building might collapse...

putting it on spikes on a granite slab wont stop the building from collapsing still? :D

i'm afraid not... :grin:

which of the subs i mentioned is the best i can choose from that doesnt shake the house down?

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
For a slab of granite to have the desired effect of stopping or reducing soundwaves from travelling throught he floor it would need to be as big as the wave length the sub produced. I think subs produce sound in wavelengths measured in feet so you'd need half a granite cliff up there.

30hz = 37 feet.

http://www.mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
nugget2014 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

which of the subs i mentioned is the best i can choose from that doesnt shake the house down?

maybe the diamond sw 150 or the BK xls200 FF but i'll go for the BK... Great bang for pound! And if you move to a bigger house in the future the BK still be the right choice.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
nugget2014 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
nugget2014 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

maybe the diamond sw 150 or the BK xls200 FF but i'll go for the BK... Great bang for pound! And if you move to a bigger house in the future the BK still be the right choice.

think I'll go for the bk, could I get away with putting an xxls400 in there or is xls200 the best I could get in that room size? Was also thinking about the Cambridge audio x200 or x300 but they don't go that low. How low do the bk subs go that I mentioned?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
nugget2014 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
nugget2014 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

think I'll go for the bk, could I get away with putting an xxls400 in there or is xls200 the best I could get in that room size? Was also thinking about the Cambridge audio x200 or x300 but they don't go that low. How low do the bk subs go that I mentioned?

have some fun... :grin:

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
nugget2014 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
nugget2014 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
nugget2014 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

have some fun... :grin:

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

its not very helpfull the bk site, the xls200 says it goes down to 17hz at -6db.. but -6db is hella loud.. i cant have it that loud!

and the more expensive xxls400 goes "lower than 20hz"..not that informative,

was decided on bk monolith till i found out that the flooring was floorboards then i have to look for ages again on what sub i want. never ending cycle! just want a sub that can go relatively low (30hz and lower is minimum i'd want really)

asked bk support for help deciding..

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

was just thinking about this today, surely a bk monolith would sound the same as an xxls400 or xls200 with the gain turned lower than what you would have on the other 2 bk subs? so it goes lower, but turning the gain down so its at same volume as other 2 subs would be..then it'd be a lot better for movies i am thinking

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Have you decided on the layout for your new room?

You might struggle to find room for the Monolith unless it's going to double as a coffee table :)

not yet, no.

i wont have that much stuff in the room so will have to see where i want tv and speakers etc before deciding on which sub i'll buy.

seen the sony str-dn1040 today on offer at £299 at richer sounds, wil get that instead of the denon x2000! slowly turning into sony fanboy :( sony tv, sony blu ray, sony av/r and sony laptop !

have you heard of the auralex gramma? been suggested it on avforums. supposedly its like a granite chopping board for a sub but better! if it works better maybe i can manage the monolith after all by turning the gain down to have reasonable volume levels.

ashton1

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
I have the XXLS400 FF IN A 4x8 metre room, I have no neighbours to worry about so can let it run free. Honestly I thought I had done myself an injustice not getting the monolith. But the 400 is epic. There are snippets of films I still think damn I wish it could hit slightly lower. But that's a rarity. It can induce serious amounts of grunt with ease. More than enough for me., and I love the lows. It's clean and punchy and goes seriously loud, and my Windwos get a serious workout with it at reference level, it's awesome, get one :0)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

was just thinking about this today, surely a bk monolith would sound the same as an xxls400 or xls200 with the gain turned lower than what you would have on the other 2 bk subs? so it goes lower, but turning the gain down so its at same volume as other 2 subs would be..then it'd be a lot better for movies i am thinking

you don't need to worry about how low they can get, the 400 will move a lot of air, will shake the dinner dishes in your neighbour closet. It will be like bringing home a Great Dane... :doh:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts