Needs experts help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am in the market for new floorstanding speakers - they will be replacing my old JBL control monitors. Right now I have Yamaha 5.1 Digital receiver (100 watts/channel) and a Snell Basis 300 sub which I absolutely love. It is between two speakers:

Canton GLE 407

Monitor Audio RS6

I listen to a literally all types of music (from jazz to hip hop) and like my movies. I've heard both of them and like both of them....but looking for some opinions from some of the forum experts (pro's, con's).

A

Anonymous

I haven't heard the Canton's either but the RS6 does sound nice when partnered with the right amp/cables.

There are many forum members who own the RS6 and speak highly of them, but they can sound quite bright when partnered with the wrong amp.

Which amp will you be using?

A

Anonymous

I have recently bought the MA RS8, very happy with them now after everything has been run in. They keep getting better and better with the timber and detail open up more.
If you can afford them over the RS6 I'm sure you will be pleased. The cabinet finish is much nicer as well.

A

Anonymous

I appreciate the responses.....

It will be in a smaller room - about 12x18 ft. I initially set my limit at $1000/pair (acutally, my wife did). ;) But I really want to make sure that I'll be happy with these long term. I was also looking at the RS8 and comparing them to the Cantons (http://www.canton.de/en-produktdetail-gleserie-gle409.htm) which is the same price.

Will the Yamaha receiver be ok to power these? (100/channel) I can certainly add an amp if it's not though....any recommendations with the MA's or Cantons.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]The RS6s deserve a better amplication than your Yamaha receiver. They are excellent speakers though.[/quote]Agreed, using a surround amp for stereo is heresy. It also sounds terrible. I was forced to use my sony 5.1 for a few days last month, sounded like hell.

A

Anonymous

What kind of amp is recommended for this application? Also, how much power, etc.

A

Anonymous

A stereo amp. I'd say 70 watts will do. You could shrink it to 50 in a pinch. Look at Cambridge Azur, NAD C355, Rotel Ra-04 or 05, Marantz PM6001. Lotsa options, 2-3 hundred quid.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ray, I think the poor man is in for some major headaches and tight jaws with most of those amps other than the NAD and thats no the amps fault. If you really must buy the MA's partner them with a warm, full sounding amp with sweeeet treble. Something like musical fidelity does the trick, kind of.

A

Anonymous

Don't care if you place the RS8s in the Royal Albert Hall, the bass is OTT. The RS6s are better but be sure to match as Drummerman said above. Watch the bass as it can get carried away...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
Ray, I think the poor man is in for some major headaches and tight jaws with most of those amps other than the NAD and thats no the amps fault. If you really must buy the MA's partner them with a warm, full sounding amp with sweeeet treble. Something like musical fidelity does the trick, kind of.
[/quote]The suggestions I made were simply entry-level stereo that wouldn't break his budget (MF has that tendency), they'd all be an improvement over the 5.1 Which, incidentally, is none too warm either.

A

Anonymous

I do have an old Luxman Amp that I could use....
http://www.audiocircuit.com/index.php?c=LUX&m=L-430&cc=921#L-430

105x2

Would this be a better match for either the Cantons or MA?

A

Anonymous

I also have a pair of RS8. I sometimes find them sounding a little boomy. But it definitely depends on the music played. And of course depends in your taste.

I chose them over the RS6 because the gave much more sound (thanks to the extra bass) or feeling of presence.

If your room is not big enough for the RS8 you'll be happy with the RS6, and you'll save some money too. Anyway, RS6 are great speakers and sound superb given its size.

I'm also running the with a Yamaha receiver by now... I need to find a proper amp for them because you feel they can perform even better...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts