Question Needing a good Turntable and powered sub

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NadManDave

Jan 30, 2022
Visit site
The use of a subwoofer is of paramount importance. For eg. picture below shows Bowers & Wilkins 802D2’s which are perfectly capable of good quality low frequencies. However this system features a pair of JL Audio Fathom f112 v2 subwoofers in use with a crossover point to the main speakers set at 80Hz, so the 802D2 speakers are relieved of the need to produce deep bass. It’s a good starting point as it relieves the main speakers of the bottom two octaves (20Hz - 40Hz and 40Hz - 80Hz) which lowers distortion in the main speakers. The Fathom f112 v2’s do a much better job in this region. As a result the system is more transparent and dynamic from bottom to top, at low volumes as well as at higher volumes and the space in the original recording is much better defined than the 802D2’s on their own.

View attachment 3204

A subwoofer is the most important component.
yes sir.. I notice better sound with even the subs I had!! For sure subs are the way to go as long as they are good quality.. mine the sound they gave was ( good fair) but the quality was no good they both don't work anymore and they was never cranked either like they made some decent cheap subs sound some what expensive with cheap parts :(.. they was a cheap temp anyways .. and yes those
JL Audio Home Audio E112 are a good recommendation.. I can not afford (( 9k with taxes in )) right now thats what they cost here in Canada for both.. but I like how you know 2 subs are always better then 1 .. all the cheap systems I built back in the day 2 subs always was better then even 1 expensive sub.. I just want some help from subs for when the party is at my house the woman want to dance and the volume goes up.. and the passive subs on the towers are flying.. and if you knew these speakers they have 3 subs in each tower and 2 woofers and a tweeter there is a lot of bass with them with good power and low volume you can turn the bass knob up and get all the bass you want.. but once you turn up the volume to the party level after everyone has drinks you will find the passive subs coming out of the box and the woofers since they do all 3 highs, mids and lows, they are coming out of the box as well , you can hear distortion like you pointed out .. before the cheap subs stopped working AND THE GAIN WAS SET REAL LOW that problem was never there.. So yes yes yes i need some decent powered subs But way lower priced then those JL Audio Home Audio E112 for my budget.. but those would be ideal specially for tower upgrades later

Last edited:

NadManDave

Jan 30, 2022
Visit site
Can’t see why you would need any sub for music. Or your speakers are lacking.
well low volumes never have issue with bass as I can turn the bass up and have plenty but for parties and when i like to turn it up the Passive subs and woofers start to travel to much as these speakers design are 3 passive subs 2 woofers and a tweeter.. So when you have woofers that are producing mids n highs as well they get distortion when they start flapping away in the box... depends where you look them up but those are in fact 3 passive subs some sights mistake them as woofers.. and thats why these speakers fail for many people because they require more power to light up.. so Klipsch and many more will sound better at low volumes less power from amps but here is the twist when you like to listen to your music louder then low volumes is where these speakers become better then most those in a stand alone tower vs tower for louder volumes. they sound real nice once they are lit up.. and once you have plenty of power low volumes sound good as well .. most people that only listen to casual low volumes will not be happy with these cause they can use much less power on easier to push speakers.. So had i known they was 3 passive subs I might not have bought them but they do sound good.. I think like the other guy mentioned Subs are better powered n separate from your towers and he is right.. let the subs handle the bass, and the towers will sound even better.. and yet i paid 800 Canadian for them they was clearing them out the original price was 1300-1400 each 2800 tops for both.. you will not find better speakers then these for 1k for what they can do.. but yes there is plenty of better spekers out there and yours are very nice.. I would be happy with them and use those JL Audio Home Audio E112 subs.. paired with your towers.. and sell off 1 nad 275bee

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you can probably cease using this line - there are undiscovered peoples of the Amazon rainforest who are aware that you hold this view!

In that case might as well transmit sub bass frequencies into outer space :) You never know mankind might get a response and finally put to bed as to whether we're alone or not :D

Anyway, with all things being equal a subwoofer is the most important component.

I believe to achieve 'realism' requires power and even if the mains go down to 20Hz a subwoofer should still be incorporated because in my experience a subwoofer can inject power into and energise a system like no other component can.

The goal then is to effectively align, calibrate, dial in a subwoofer so that the subwoofer integrates seamlessly with the mains and disappears into the soundstage with a deep, sharp, tight fisted, fast and powerful punchy sub bass.

Btw, running a sub/s below the mains does nothing but WASTE the potential of the sub/s and therefore ultimately comprises the overall performance of the system. It’s like having a Formula 1 car running on Fiesta tyres. Yes, the F1 car will move but ultimately it wastes the potential of the chassis and engine.

No power, no depth. No depth, no body. No body, no soul to the sound. Simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: NadManDave
In that case might as well transmit sub bass frequencies into outer space :) You never know mankind might get a response and finally put to bed as to whether we're alone or not :D

Anyway, with all things being equal a subwoofer is the most important component.

I believe to achieve 'realism' requires power and even if the mains go down to 20Hz a subwoofer should still be incorporated because in my experience a subwoofer can inject power into and energise a system like no other component can.

The goal then is to effectively align, calibrate, dial in a subwoofer so that the subwoofer integrates seamlessly with the mains and disappears into the soundstage with a deep, sharp, tight fisted, fast and powerful punchy sub bass.

if you live in a barn I might agree, or if you are tone deaf and simply have to feel the music.
In my opinion two subs in your average UK listening room is simply a bank account clearing method.

Nah. Have added subs and taken them away. Will leave them for the AV system.

Why use a subwoofer for AV use? Might as well just run the all the mains full range.

To reiterate with all things being equal a subwoofer is the most important component.

Btw, running a sub/s below the mains does nothing but WASTE the potential of the sub/s and therefore ultimately comprises the overall performance of the system. It’s like having a Formula 1 car running on Fiesta tyres. Yes, the F1 car will move but ultimately it wastes the potential of the chassis and engine.

Reactions: NadManDave
if you live in a barn I might agree, or if you are tone deaf and simply have to feel the music.

Not so. All things being equal subwoofers can be profoundly positive in ANY ROOM. For eg. pictures below show SCM50ASLT > C4 Sub system in the living room of a terraced house. The C4 sub is the back right hand corner of the living room. SCM50ASLT’s were already more than ample for the room. A year or so later a C4 subwoofer was brought into play and after much and careful TLC it was game over. The C4 constantly carries and supports the system.

A subwoofer is the most important component :)

atc scm50, sca2, c4 system 1.jpg

atc scm50, sca2, c4 system 2.jpg

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts