Question Needing a good Turntable and powered sub

NadManDave

Jan 30, 2022
Visit site
Looking for some good suggestions to match my system or go with it i have as follows below

Essence stx II HiFI sound card
Nad c 165bee - Preamp
Nad 2x C 275bee - power amps
Polk Audio - RTIA9 towers

Canadian Currency

Had 2 powered Polk PSW505's subs both died and barley been used.. So I am looking for quality and sound.. better brand ---looking to spend 1k but if i have to go 3k to get what I want I will

forget the turntable not going to bother.. thanks for the heads up

Last edited:

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Do you actually own any vinyl...if not...I'd skip the turntable idea..cd's and streaming are so much simpler and excellent sounding sources....vinyl is a rabbit hole you'd be best giving a wide berth if you do not have a worthy collection of.

Reactions: plastic penguin

NadManDave

Jan 30, 2022
Visit site
Do you actually own any vinyl...if not...I'd skip the turntable idea..cd's and streaming are so much simpler and excellent sounding sources....vinyl is a rabbit hole you'd be best giving a wide berth if you do not have a worthy collection of.
No not even 1 .. was just thinking maybe vinyl be the way to go and wanting to see the difference .. Seems that playing Flac files though the computers hifi Asus essence II card seems so clear .. and crisp .. i find people saying vinyl is the only way to go for hifi.. hard to compare when i don't own a turntable and now I have the preamp for them was gonna experiment with them a bit.. so starting off with a cheaper hifi turntable for now see how I like it

No not even 1 .. was just thinking maybe vinyl be the way to go and wanting to see the difference .. Seems that playing Flac files though the computers hifi Asus essence II card seems so clear .. and crisp .. i find people saying vinyl is the only way to go for hifi.. hard to compare when i don't own a turntable and now I have the preamp for them was gonna experiment with them a bit.. so starting off with a cheaper hifi turntable for now see how I like it
Yes, If you are starting on vinyl from scratch it's very costly. I'm a big advocate of the black stuff, but If I was to start again, vinyl wouldn't be my choice now.

Sorry, can't advise on subs.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Well keep your sound card and build on your pc as source...if you have between 1-3k..you'll be surprised how good you can get it to sound....I've had Cambridge audio amps, Arcam, Naim, Yamaha,Marantz, but my current Exposure....it looks crap but it sounds really nice. Speakers are usually quite a personal choice, but if you can track down a pair of proAcs, neat or even pmc....and yes I have had vinyl system, but decided to sell up and have moved towards a more pc based streaming system, I don't use a sound card though, my pc (it's a gaming rig) is now connected straight into the da as opposed to through my network , I have removed the primare np5 prisma for the time being.

Last edited:
Reactions: NadManDave

NadManDave

Jan 30, 2022
Visit site
Well keep your sound card and build on your pc as source...if you have between 1-3k..you'll be surprised how good you can get it to sound....I've had Cambridge audio amps, Arcam, Naim, Yamaha,Marantz, but my current Exposure....it looks crap but it sounds really nice. Speakers are usually quite a personal choice, but if you can track down a pair of proAcs, neat or even pmc....and yes I have had vinyl system, but decided to sell up and have moved towards a more pc based streaming system, I don't use a sound card though, my pc (it's a gaming rig) is now connected straight into the da as opposed to through my network , I have removed the primare np5 prisma for the time being.
Oh yea you mean replace my Polk audio rtia9 towers? yea they seem to sound good I know many people not a fan of loud music or semi loud.. I play my volume from low to about half way max at the most So its not extremely loud but it can travel outside a bit I like to turn it up from time to time and they seem to be good for that.. More looking to upgrade my sub since I don't have any now would svs powered subs be a good choice ?? i mostly blend in the sub so they not cranked.. just wondering if tyhere is a well known hifi sub out there that good for lasting.. yea and always appreciate your feed back .. Looks like I might scrap the turntable setup maybe not worth it....

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I've had a wee look at your amps and speakers.....you really think you need a sub????....I think you could be looking in the wrong direction for your audio nirvana.....your system is about muscle and power...so maybe lacks detail and transparency, you might want to think along the lines of a couple of high quality stand mount speakers and two small subs. This could be another route to the same end but better.

NadManDave

Jan 30, 2022
Visit site
I've had a wee look at your amps and speakers.....you really think you need a sub????....I think you could be looking in the wrong direction for your audio nirvana.....your system is about muscle and power...so maybe lacks detail and transparency, you might want to think along the lines of a couple of high quality stand mount speakers and two small subs. This could be another route to the same end but better.
I think you maybe right.. i mean the polks sound good they do have 3 passive subs built into each of them but they was a real budget hifi only 800 for both at the time.. man I am glad I came here .. so a guy like me that likes to turn up a little from time to time. semi loud .. what would be ideal for the setup I have and not over drive the speakers .. so the speakers would have to handle a bit of push

NadManDave

Jan 30, 2022
Visit site
Can’t see why you would need any sub for music. Or your speakers are lacking.
well they can deliver the bass if i unselect defeat on the amp and turn the bass knob up. but seems to start over pushing the passive subs .. they start to really get movement to the point of over excursion.. when the Polk power subs worked the PSW505's ( and they both died because they was real cheap subs) I had them turned to low gain but was a nice blend so the towers didn't move to much (over excursion). gave a nice powerful semi loud crisp sound with out over driving the towers

NadManDave

Jan 30, 2022
Visit site
With the speakers you have and the grunt the Nad amps will put out...I've got a feeling your semi loud isn't semi loud......do you have tinnitus by any chance.😁
LMAO tinnitus.. yea yea.. well I do like my music .. and when I am in the mood I like it turned up.. lol each to their own.. yea so i guess a fair warning on my speaker recommendations make sure they can handle a bit of volume.. :)

Can’t see why you would need any sub for music.

The use of a subwoofer is of paramount importance. For eg. picture below shows Bowers & Wilkins 802D2’s which are perfectly capable of good quality low frequencies. However this system features a pair of JL Audio Fathom f112 v2 subwoofers in use with a crossover point to the main speakers set at 80Hz, so the 802D2 speakers are relieved of the need to produce deep bass. It’s a good starting point as it relieves the main speakers of the bottom two octaves (20Hz - 40Hz and 40Hz - 80Hz) which lowers distortion in the main speakers. The Fathom f112 v2’s do a much better job in this region. As a result the system is more transparent and dynamic from bottom to top, at low volumes as well as at higher volumes and the space in the original recording is much better defined than the 802D2’s on their own.

jl audio b&w 802 2 x fathom f112 v2's system.jpg

A subwoofer is the most important component.

The use of a subwoofer is of paramount importance. For eg. picture below shows Bowers & Wilkins 802D2’s which are perfectly capable of good quality low frequencies. However this system features a pair of JL Audio Fathom f112 v2 subwoofers in use with a crossover point to the main speakers set at 80Hz, so the 802D2 speakers are relieved of the need to produce deep bass. It’s a good starting point as it relieves the main speakers of the bottom two octaves (20Hz - 40Hz and 40Hz - 80Hz) which lowers distortion in the main speakers. The Fathom f112 v2’s do a much better job in this region. As a result the system is more transparent and dynamic from bottom to top, at low volumes as well as at higher volumes and the space in the original recording is much better defined than the 802D2’s on their own.

View attachment 3204

this is simply a fad I feel, we seemed to manage to obtain decent sound from systems before the time of subwoofers.
However, if people believe they simply must have one or two, then who am I to dissuade them.

nads

well they can deliver the bass if i unselect defeat on the amp and turn the bass knob up. but seems to start over pushing the passive subs .. they start to really get movement to the point of over excursion.. when the Polk power subs worked the PSW505's ( and they both died because they was real cheap subs) I had them turned to low gain but was a nice blend so the towers didn't move to much (over excursion). gave a nice powerful semi loud crisp sound with out over driving the towers

View attachment 3204

Nah. Have added subs and taken them away. Will leave them for the AV system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts