Question Need you help for an upgrade: Amplifier upgrade

Chris2021

Mar 7, 2021
Visit site
Hi Forum members,

I have immensely benefited from the advise given here so thank you and hope you can assist again.

My system consists: Musical Fidelity A 3.2 amplifier, Mytek Brooklyn DAC , Audiolab 6000CDT and KEF Q950 speakers. I also have a Isotek Aquarius power conditioner.

I am pleased with the MS amplifier sound. My Hifi dealer has suggested I could trade in the MF A 3.2 amp for a good price if I purchase MF M6si amplifier.

Appreciate if you have any advise if M6si will be actually an upgrade?

Is there any other amplifier at M6si price range I need to consider?

MF 3.2 amp I have is about 18 years old hence thinking newer ones will have better performance hence my look out for a replacement.

I am based in Sydney, Australia. The MF 6si is around AUD 3,700. Trade in for the old amp AUD 1250

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Reactions: MUSICRAFT
Hi Chris.

Not sure anyone can recommend the newer M6, purely because we don't have your ears -- what constitutes a good or better sounding hi-fi is extremely personal.

FWIW I demoed the MF A300, think the forerunner to your 3.2. Although it had shed loads of power I couldn't live with the sound: To my ears the soundscape sounded too closed in and claustrophobic.

The best advice I can give is go and listen to the newer one at the dealers, preferably taking your 3.2 in and see how they stack up.

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Look at the Kinki Studio's EX-M1 it is a fantastic Integrated amp. i also spent an extra $300 on it, and bought the Sparkos OP amp kit. That made a nice difference. it is a very musical amp.

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

Tinman1952

Hi Forum members,

I have immensely benefited from the advise given here so thank you and hope you can assist again.

My system consists: Musical Fidelity A 3.2 amplifier, Mytek Brooklyn DAC , Audiolab 6000CDT and KEF Q950 speakers. I also have a Isotek Aquarius power conditioner.

I am pleased with the MS amplifier sound. My Hifi dealer has suggested I could trade in the MF A 3.2 amp for a good price if I purchase MF M6si amplifier.

Appreciate if you have any advise if M6si will be actually an upgrade?

Is there any other amplifier at M6si price range I need to consider?

MF 3.2 amp I have is about 18 years old hence thinking newer ones will have better performance hence my look out for a replacement.

I am based in Sydney, Australia. The MF 6si is around AUD 3,700. Trade in for the old amp AUD 1250

Thanks in advance for your advise.
Why not try the Audiolab 6000A to go with your CDT transport? Excellent reviews everywhere…..

Look at the Kinki Studio's EX-M1 it is a fantastic Integrated amp.

Spot on (y)

OP - other amplification to also consider and to try at M6si price range (UK RRP £2500) are Kinki Studio Audio's latest EX-M1+ integrated amplifier (here @ a UK RRP of £2850) or also at the same price for even better performance and by utilizing the Mytek Brooklyn DAC's pre amplification facility by directly feeding Kinki Studio Audio's EX-M7 power amplifier. The EX-M1+ is a high speed, wide bandwidth, high current dual monaural integrated amplifier and the EX-M7 is a high speed, ultra wide bandwidth (0 - 2.5MHz), ultra high current dual monaural power amplifier. In particular EX-M7's ability to grip, drive and energise loudspeakers, combined with it's overall musicality is such that I've found the results to be preferable than some active loudspeakers I've heard over the years! The EX-M7 is a very serious Thor's Hammer of an amplifier. Not intending to sound as a negative I will however respectfully say I don't believe your speakers and source are capable of fully revealing the qualities of the EX-M1+ let alone the EX-M7. The good thing is that these amplifiers are unlikely to be a limiting factor and will readily withstand and readily reveal the potential of numerous future component changes.

Btw, the quality of build, fit, finishing and vault like solidity of the EX-M1+ and EX-M7 is exquisite
:)

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
The Kinki is a well built amp. You are paying for the robust parts, quality and sound. It looks like a mack truck, but who cares, you dont look at it, you listen to it.

Not sure why @hilroy48 and @Tinman1952 and @MUSICRAFT are suggesting other brands.

The OP, from what I understand, has been offered the chance of a M6 by his dealer. He's asking whether the M6 is an improvement over his 3.2.

Please be more helpful rather than throwing random brands at him.

In his opening post the OP asked -

“Is there any other amplifier at M6si price range I need to consider?”

Reactions: AndyCC72
In his opening post the OP asked -

“Is there any other amplifier at M6si price range I need to consider?”
In the context of the overall post I think it's of a "by the way" question. We've all done this over the years where we are looking at X-brand, and then as an afterthought, "or is there other brands I should consider...." something on those lines.

Anyway, if his dealer has suggested a good deal for his 3.2, I'm sure he'll have other brands for the OP to listen to.

Chris2021

Mar 7, 2021
Visit site
Thank you all for your advise.
Initially my question was prompted as MF a3.2 has two separate transformers while M6 has just one. If this would have an impact? specially in few years if I am upgrading the speakers. The higher end MF M8 does have two transformers hence was wandering if M6 is a budget oriented amp which might not be equl the current amp I have.

I do learn from advise there is no substitute to actually auditioning both a deciding. Thanks for introducing Kinki Studio, never heard of it before I must look into it. thanks again

Thank you all for your advise.
Initially my question was prompted as MF a3.2 has two separate transformers while M6 has just one. If this would have an impact? specially in few years if I am upgrading the speakers. The higher end MF M8 does have two transformers hence was wandering if M6 is a budget oriented amp which might not be equl the current amp I have.

I do learn from advise there is no substitute to actually auditioning both a deciding. Thanks for introducing Kinki Studio, never heard of it before I must look into it. thanks again
Is there anything you don't like about the 3.2? Your current amp is from the early 2000s but that doesn't mean it's inferior -- a good amp will always be a good amp IMHO.

What other brands, Musical Fidelity aside, does your dealer stock?

Chris2021

Mar 7, 2021
Visit site
I am pleased with MF 3.2 , it’s a matter of looking out to see if I could better my listening. Other brands the dealer stocks: PS audio , Linn, Krell, Rega, NAD & Naim

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
Not sure why @hilroy48 and @Tinman1952 and @MUSICRAFT are suggesting other brands.

The OP, from what I understand, has been offered the chance of a M6 by his dealer. He's asking whether the M6 is an improvement over his 3.2.

FWIW I think Kinki stuff is fugly.

Please be more helpful rather than throwing random brands at him.
So your opinion is the only one that matters?? LMFAO. Ok whatever.

hilroy48

Sep 13, 2020
Visit site
I am pleased with MF 3.2 , it’s a matter of looking out to see if I could better my listening. Other brands the dealer stocks: PS audio , Linn, Krell, Rega, NAD & Naim
Depending on your room and listening tastes, pick something that you think will pair with the room and the rest of your gear. Don't fall for popular over promoted gear. The only way you will know for sure, is to demo gear in your home.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I think it looks OK in black certainly better than silver and the large display is useful better than a nearly invisible indent on a volume knob ... .

What I find a bit more concerning is that there is a following for the Kinki which suggest swapping OP amps for better (less bright) sound, as on YouTube.

Of course taste differs but it at least suggests a certain tonal character which may not suit everyone.

Clearly listen before you buy.

Other than that there is little comparison between it and an equivalent MF looking at internals. It's like comparing an Audi to a Ferrari, purely based on componentry and build.

Problem is, which one does one rather have in the long run.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts