Need some advise before taking the pluge..

iceman16

Hi everyone, I will be upgrading my speakers(b&w 703s) as soon as I get some "substantial" advise from you guys. My budget is £2500 for floorstanders and my room is carpeted, heavy curtains ans is about 20 sqm.I listen to music from Eva Cassidy to Metallica. I like detailed(not harsh or too bright),open midrange and deep bass(controlled).Itb does'nt matter if I get second hand as long as they're in good nick.I have read some good reviews about PMC,Proac,ATC but I get more confused when my current amps,source and cables are to be used(sig.)I just want to spend some hard-earned money and not regret to the outcome of purchase.Thanks in advance to all and more power to WHF and co forum members!

iceman16

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Are there any aspects of your 703's that you don't like? Or any you'd like to keep?
thanks David, well I've been using the 703s for a couple of years now since I 've had my 122x/150x and arcam cd192. The 703s got even better when I upgraded to 202/200/hicap2/napsc,cdx2.The ear piercing treble from the previous has gone and music just flow more descently and more grip(arcam cd192 is better in the mids though).I was just about to give you a ring about atc scm 40s but I've read a post from other forum that they sound dry with Naim.I just bear in my mind that nap 200 is only 70w/c for the power hungry atc scm40s

iceman16 said:
Hi everyone, I will be upgrading my speakers(b&w 703s) as soon as I get some "substantial" advise from you guys. My budget is £2500 for floorstanders and my room is carpeted, heavy curtains ans is about 20 sqm.I listen to music from Eva Cassidy to Metallica. I like detailed(not harsh or too bright),open midrange and deep bass(controlled).Itb does'nt matter if I get second hand as long as they're in good nick.I have read some good reviews about PMC,Proac,ATC but I get more confused when my current amps,source and cables are to be used(sig.)I just want to spend some hard-earned money and not regret to the outcome of purchase.Thanks in advance to all and more power to WHF and co forum members!

This could be a great set-up: If you can handle the migraine-inducing colours and slightly odd design, on pure SQ alone, I'd audition some MonoPulse 43S. I've not heard the 43s but if they mirror the 32S they should sound great with your Naims.

Alternatively, look at PMC FB1is. They traditionally go well with Naim, and perhaps Totem Hawks. Again not heard the Hawks but dealers have suggested it could be good.

iceman16

plastic penguin said:
iceman16 said:

This could be a great set-up: If you can handle the migraine-inducing colours and slightly odd design, on pure SQ alone, I'd audition some MonoPulse 43S. I've not heard the 43s but if they mirror the 32S they should sound great with your Naims.

Alternatively, look at PMC FB1is. They traditionally go well with Naim, and perhaps Totem Hawks. Again not heard the Hawks but dealers have suggested it could be good.
Thanks PP,I,m cranking up my 703s at the moment "evaluate" while wifey is out for shopping.I have'nt heard those brand of speakers before but certainly Im not with Neats in my budget of course.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I have to admit that I was never a fan of the 700 series myself, and I never really found that they went with Naim very well either, but they, that's why we're all here! Everybody likes something a little different, and there's no single solution out there, otherwise none of us would be here...
smiley-smile.gif

Naim tends to be a little lean low down, which is also a feature/drawback of sealed speakers, so you'd end up with a lean, but very fast sounding system - whether you like that sort of sound is up to you, but you will find it very, very different, almost complete opposite to what you've been used to. There's plenty of alternatives within the spectrum between those extremes, and much of it will be down to how well they pair up with your Naim combination.

I'll have to make some recommendations a little later, as I'm being ushered off the PC as some people want to go home, plus it's my daughter's 16th...
smiley-laughing.gif

iceman16 said:
plastic penguin said:
iceman16 said:

Thanks PP,I,m cranking up my 703s at the moment "evaluate" while wifey is out for shopping.I have'nt heard those brand of speakers before but certainly Im not with Neats in my budget of course.

Sorry, they were 42A. I've linked UK dealerships: http://www.monopulse.co.uk/dealers.html

iceman16 said:
atc scm 40s but I've read a post from other forum that they sound dry with Naim.I just bear in my mind that nap 200 is only 70w/c for the power hungry atc scm40s

Hi iceman16

I use and i've also got quite a number of clients who are happily using SCM40 monitors with Naim amplification (including NAP200). I don't find SCM40 monitors to sound 'dry' with Naim electronics. Instead SCM40's with their (amongst other qualities) uncoloured, neutral and natural presentation enable the qualities of Naim electronics to shine through.

The NAP200 has got sufficient quantity and quality (unless you're going to listen at constant disco like levels) of power for the amplifier to be partnered with SCM40 monitors. Put it this way as the Naim Uniti is deemed to be adequate enough to be partnered with SCM40 monitors then the NAP200 will by comparison take SCM40 monitors in its stride :) Ime, SCM40 monitors have a big performance potential and therefore they'll also happily accomodate many component upgrades that you may wish to make.

Fwiw, i feel SCM40 monitors are probably the finest VFM speakers currently available on the market regradless of price :)

Anyway, alternatively Dynaudio's Excite X32's, Proac D18's, Monitor Audio's GX200 and Spendor A6's are also worth bearing in mind. As for used/discontinued models Proac's Response 2.5 and Response 3.8's are also worth seeking out.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

iceman16

MUSICRAFT said:
iceman16 said:
atc scm 40s but I've read a post from other forum that they sound dry with Naim.I just bear in my mind that nap 200 is only 70w/c for the power hungry atc scm40s

Hi iceman16

I use and i've also got quite a number of clients who are happily using SCM40 monitors with Naim amplification (including NAP200). I don't find SCM40 monitors to sound 'dry' with Naim electronics. Instead SCM40's with their (amongst other qualities) uncoloured, neutral and natural presentation enable the qualities of Naim electronics to shine through.

The NAP200 has got sufficient quantity and quality (unless you're going to listen at constant disco like levels) of power for the amplifier to be partnered with SCM40 monitors. Put it this way as the Naim Uniti is deemed to be adequate enough to be partnered with SCM40 monitors then the NAP200 will by comparison take SCM40 monitors in its stride :) Ime, SCM40 monitors have a big performance potential and therefore they'll also happily accomodate many component upgrades that you may wish to make.

Fwiw, i feel SCM40 monitors are probably the finest VFM speakers currently available on the market regradless of price :)

Anyway, alternatively Dynaudio's Excite X32's, Proac D18's, Monitor Audio's GX200 and Spendor A6's are also worth bearing in mind. As for used/discontinued models Proac's Response 2.5 and Response 3.8's are also worth seeking out.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

[/quoteIm verry sorry to say..apart from the speakers(PMC,Proac,ATC)Imnot going anywhere within this 3 mention.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts