Need new home cinema receiver for B&W XT series. Budget £2000-£4000

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am relatively new to the AV scene and have only just joined What HiFi. I have recently brought a complete B&W XT series (8's, 2's & XTC) and am confused which receiver to pair with them. Originally I was torn between the pioneer sc-lx83 and arcam AVR600. However I have been told the pioneer would be too bright for my speakers and would sound a bit harsh and the arcam while it is awesome with music, it isn't brilliant with movies (sounds too musical apparently). Another reason (probably the biggest) is the reliability issues surrounding this receiver which for £3600 should never happen.
I am not settling just on these 2 receivers but would like another opinion I.e. Which is better?, Which is better for my setup?, Are there any better alternatives (onkyo/yamaha)? Has Arcam sorted out the earlier issues with the AVR600?

Sony KDLX4500 (black obsidian speaker grilles), Sony PS3 40GB, X-box 360 slim 250GB, Wii (black), Sky HD 1TB, Apple TV 2, B&W Zeppelin, Apple iPad 2, 2x B&W XT8, 2x B&W XT2, B&W XTC, Alphason Accent cantilever stand.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Shinobi, welcome to the forum.

This is one that you are going to have to try for yourself, and may depend on how much music you listen to.

My answer is biased, as I own the AVR600 which sounds fantastic with both music and movies - I preferred it to the Susano, let alone the LX83. For my taste the Pioneer would be too brightly lit with your speakers - but I like a musical AV amp for movies.

They have sorted out most of the issues, but not all......in my opinion its issues are not enough to put me off. The mod to enable it to handle 3D (which is at extra cost), should allow
the signal to pass through unprocessed....which it doesn't at the moment.

Demo both, and do a search for "Arcam Products" on another AV forum.

To get a better amp you are looking at their AV888 and P777 (twice the price, but not twice as good), or the really expensive stuff from Anthem or Classe.

Hope this helps

Cno

Shinobi84 said:
I am relatively new to the AV scene and have only just joined What HiFi. I have recently brought a complete B&W XT series (8's, 2's & XTC) and am confused which receiver to pair with them. Originally I was torn between the pioneer sc-lx83 and arcam AVR600. However I have been told the pioneer would be too bright for my speakers and would sound a bit harsh and the arcam while it is awesome with music, it isn't brilliant with movies (sounds too musical apparently). Another reason (probably the biggest) is the reliability issues surrounding this receiver which for £3600 should never happen. I am not settling just on these 2 receivers but would like another opinion I.e. Which is better?, Which is better for my setup?, Are there any better alternatives (onkyo/yamaha)? Has Arcam sorted out the earlier issues with the AVR600? Sony KDLX4500 (black obsidian speaker grilles), Sony PS3 40GB, X-box 360 slim 250GB, Wii (black), Sky HD 1TB, Apple TV 2, B&W Zeppelin, Apple iPad 2, 2x B&W XT8, 2x B&W XT2, B&W XTC, Alphason Accent cantilever stand.

Hi Shinobi84

Did you audition the speakers before you bought them? If so, what AV amplifier was used? What did you think of the AV amplifier and the system as a whole?

Will the system also be used to listen to music? If so, what do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system listen to?

Room size?

Listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Any specific power requirements?

Integrated AV amplifier, AV processor/power or either will do?

Is there anything in particular you would like the AV amplifier to have?

The speaker cables?

Will you be auditioning before you buy?

What AV amplifiers have you got available to audition locally?

What kind of presentation are you looking from the AV amplifier and the system as a whole to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes more detail needed, but i would ask you first, what is more important to you? Music or Movies. if Music then buy the AVR600, if movies then buy the LX83.

Having said this the AVR600 is by no means a slouch when it comes to movies and will take some beating. The best way is to go demo them and see what you like. They sound so different, to me Arcam is a little too warm and toned down and i found i did not prefer thier sound over the Pioneer which is bright as you can hear all the little detail in movies far better. But for music the Arcam is unbeatable!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your comments so far. As regards to listening distance from the XT8's at my new place (I'm moving houses in a month and a half) it will be probably no less than 3-4 metres depending on where you sit in the room (the room is rectangular sorry no exact measurements approx L 10 x W 4 metres- although I could massively be out). Speaker cables (to buy) chord epic for fronts and chord oddesy for rears. Sub (to buy) Rel 528.

For lack of features alone (no HDMI 1.4, no AirPlay- I love my iPad&iphone) and reliability issues I have turned down a well offered £2500 (ex-demo AVR 600) and will probably wait until he new pioneer sc-lx 85 appears in September (£2000). However I have now decided to go for separate music and films systems solution as I love both music and movies in equal amounts and would not really want to compromise on either.

So I was thinking about building up an Arcam separate Hi-Fi system for music alone (2012 project) I cannot justify buying the AVR 600 with all it's bugs and that the fact that is a relatively old receiver in receiver terms (2009) and we all know that a receiver has roughly a 5 yr shelf life (which is why I'm buying new), whereas HiFi tech tends not too age so quick.

So the new question is can I use these same speakers with a seperate HiFi system. Is there some kind of switchover or double plug-in that I can use to plumb these speakers in with a separate system or will I have to buy additional speakers?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO If you like the Arcam sound, you should get a listen to to the AVR600 before rejecting it, as it is well up to doing both jobs. If you can't live without the features you mentioned, then that is a different matter....the 1.4 mod is due anytime, and with the price you are paying, will still be within budget.

I have owned this amp since launch and most of the bugs are fixed. The only reason I'm pushing the issue, is that it is a very special amp, that should be heard before rejecting. In my case, when bi-amped for stereo, it saw off some very expensive integrated amps.

If you want to combine AV with stereo (with the same speakers), then make sure that the AV amp has pre-outs which are then connected into the HT bypass of the Arcam Stereo amp. The stereo amp works as normal for 2 channel (AV amp is turned off); and for AV, its power amp section provides the front L & R (controlled by the AV amp).

Cno

A

Anonymous

Have you considered a pre-power combination like the Marantz AV7005 and Marantz MM7055 power amp. Excellent in both music and movies and Marantz has always been a good fit for B&W speakers. I currently own the Marantz 8003 pre and power and love it. The newer 7005 set has all the bells and whistles that you will ever need. Also as its a pre-power combiantion it will be easier and more cost effective to upgrade in the future.

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Have you considered the Anthem MRX700, (just over £2,000)? I bought one recently and think it's superb. Another magazine has just reviewed it and concluded that all other AV amps at that price-point sound somewhat lack-lustre.

Well worth having on your audition list.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
As hunny said give the Anthem a demo amazing.Also as cno stated don't dismiss the Arcam, it is a unique receiver. I am running the AVR 500 that was full of bugs and over heating probs. These issues are now sorted and the Arcams are incredible do not dismiss the AVR 600 out of hand.Do you need a fully loaded receiver with functions you may never use? The 600 has all that most need.The Anthem has the most amazing room correction eq and on board amps.Like Arcam they do away with all the frills and concentrate on sound for both movies and music.

Muzza

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Shinobi,

How are you finding the XT's? I was all set to get the same at my local dealer based on their looks / sound combo but was unable to due to their discontinuation.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
With such incredible advice i feel like there is nothing to add. I would only suggest that with the budget you are talking of, you demo as much as possible. The Anthem is very good i agree and so is the Arcam.

All preference of course.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts