need help with settings on a sony STR DH810 no master hd audio on display

steakers

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
on the panel indicator display when playing blu ray discs it should display what the amp is decoding with the dolby sign etc my amp seems to have stopped doing this and im wondering if im getting the best results from the amp ive tried several discs but just get a hdmi and lfe display no dolby true hd etc , just wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction .

thanks.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
It sounds like you have your player set to do the decoding. Rest assured you will be still getting HD audio but as the decoded output is LPCM, the receiver doesn't know what the audio format was prior to being decoded. The usual reason for this is that your player has secondary audio turned on. This is the default setting for players. Why, I don't know but it is..... As most people don't use or care about the extras or if they have HD audio, they prefer to see the audio format displayed on the their receiver so they turn them off. The other important setting is to make sure you have bitstream selected.

If your player is the original PS3, it cannot bitstream HD audio and has to decode it internally, therefore you will not see the audio formats displayed on the front.

In the end, the result is the same. Decoding is simply unzipping and in theory it should not make any difference where the decoding is done. There are some difference in volume levels which some people perceive as differences in audio quality. In the end, use your own ears and decide which you prefer i.e. player decoding or receiver decoding.

Search for your players settings online and you should find out how to set it up for bitstreaming HD audio so that see that nice display on the receiver. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the movie and look at the screen rather than the receiver's display. :bigsmile:

steakers

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the reply i have sorted it now , my player isnt a ps3 but you were right in what you said , thanks anyway .

ill try looking at the screen from now on lol

steakers

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the reply i have sorted it now , my player isnt a ps3 but you were right in what you said , thanks anyway .

ill try looking at the screen from now on lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts