confused about ps4 audio settings when using lg soundbar

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hiya,

Ive got an lg nb3530a soundbar rigged up to my ps4 through optical, this is a 2.1 channel soundbar with a wireless sub, so its not trying to be a 5.1 bounce sound off walls thingy ma jiggy but it does a have a 3d surround sound processor to fill the room with sound... it can accept dolby digital and dts audio, when i go into the ps4 audio settings i have a choice of dolby 5.1, dts 5.1 aac or linear pcm, im not sure which one to select to get the best sound quality... if i select dolby 5.1 or dts 5.1 it works fine and the soundbar says on the led panel that its recieving a dolby d 3/2.0 signal which im guessing means 3 front/2 back and 0 sub? but am i going to get better results sending it a linear pcm signal only as then it shows on the led display "pcm2/0.0" signal is being recieved.

And once you have gone through that setup there is also more options "audio format (priority) and the choices i have are linear PCM, BITSTREAM (DOLBY) and LINEAR PCM...

Im so confused, if anyone can shed some light on what to do i would be most gratefull :)

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
simon3102000 said:
Hiya,

Ive got an lg nb3530a soundbar rigged up to my ps4 through optical, this is a 2.1 channel soundbar with a wireless sub, so its not trying to be a 5.1 bounce sound off walls thingy ma jiggy but it does a have a 3d surround sound processor to fill the room with sound... it can accept dolby digital and dts audio, when i go into the ps4 audio settings i have a choice of dolby 5.1, dts 5.1 aac or linear pcm, im not sure which one to select to get the best sound quality... if i select dolby 5.1 or dts 5.1 it works fine and the soundbar says on the led panel that its recieving a dolby d 3/2.0 signal which im guessing means 3 front/2 back and 0 sub? but am i going to get better results sending it a linear pcm signal only as then it shows on the led display "pcm2/0.0" signal is being recieved.

And once you have gone through that setup there is also more options "audio format (priority) and the choices i have are linear PCM, BITSTREAM (DOLBY) and LINEAR PCM...

Im so confused, if anyone can shed some light on what to do i would be most gratefull :)

When a PS consol is set to PCM it means the PS3/4 is doing the decoding of the audio and just senting that decoded audio to amplified and put through the speakes.

If a PS3/4 is set to bitstream it means whatever it is conected to will do the decoding if it has decoding capabilities.

If the sound bar is incapable of decoding HD audio codecs i.e. DTS HD-MA or Dolby TrueHD the it will just decode the core audio in those codecs which will just be standard Dolby Digital or DTS.

So you should be able to set the PS4 to PCM and let it do all the work then just let the soundbar emit what it is sent.

Hope that helps and was not an over the top explanation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts