Need help with Htpc

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

Am looking to build a Htpc type pc for streaming movies/music to Oppo 103 via smb or dlna, ipad and to seagate goflex currently will be synology or qnap in future.

my question is I will be ripping blu rays to mkv and then compressing I was thinking along the lines of i3 or i5 CPU, motherboard with Hdmi output, USB 3.0 and at least 4xsata, with cheap graphics card. 4gb ddr3. I was hoping windows 7 could stream straight to oppo 103 via Htpc? Also wanted blu ray rip to be quick as possible for the hardware. Thoughts please.

cpu needed? For ripping encoding fast?

will windows 7 via network stream to Oppo 103?

which nas drive next qnap or synology will need to get to media via wifi on travels.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
if it's a htpc you're going to build there's no need to stream it out. That's the point of a htpc, it replaces what you have with a pc box that does it all. Sounds to me like you want a file server, not a htpc as you don't seem to plan to use the pc to playback anything.

Ripping is limited by the optical drive speed, and the compression will be down to the cpu. The guilt in graphics chips on the i range of intel cpu's are enough to handle high def without any problems. You can add an extra graphic card if you want extra features, but probably won't be needed. So, basically the best fastest cpu you can afford will give you the quickest compression times, and also maybe running 2 ssd's in raid 0 would speed that up a little bit as well.

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi cheeseboy

thanks you are right I won't use it to play really just rip compress and stream maybe.

i will use current pc case then and upgrade everything else cpu motherboard ddr2 to ddr3 and windows Xperia to windows 7. Oh and get a fast blu ray optical drive 12x read speed?

what cpu would be very good for £85-£150 for using with DVD fab and handbrake?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
have a look around at the new version 3 i5 chips. Should be able to get a 3550 or 3570 i5 chip for about 150 I would reckon. That should make things go a bit faster :)

and yes, 12x drive should be fine. Also might want to check out MakeMKV as a ripper solution.

TRENDING THREADS