Streaming Lossless direct from a NAS with no PC

fr0sty

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have just purchased a Denon AVR-X2000 receiver as part of a new AV setup and it will also be used for playing my digital music collection which is currently stored in iTunes.

I'm looking to move the 10000+ tracks away from my laptop to some sort of network storage device that will serve files to the receiver without a PC. The files are currently in Apple Lossless format and, if possible I'd like to avoid ripping them again in to another losless codec.

I've looked at several NAS solutions from Synology, Qnap, Netgear, Seagate, Dlink, Western Digital and Buffalo, amongst others but none of them seem to 100% confirm that they will stream the ALAC files to the Denon using either the normal Denon remote or some sort of Android app using my Nexus 7 tablet with no issues. Some NAS providers suggest that they support streaming m4a files but then go on to say they don't support ALAC...

I have access to other music programs such as DBPowerAmp and Media Monkey and will rip the library into another lossless format, (FLAC maybe), if required. What is not clear is which NAS will offer the best feature set to the Denon amp without compromises, such as losing Album Art etc.

I work in the IT industry so the complexity of the storage device doesn't phase me, nor does the cost to a certain degree - I'm more interested in the user experience so if it takes a few weeks to re-rip my CD's and get the NAS configured so be it.

All advice is greatly appreciated as several hours of research has done nothing but give me a headache.

Thanks

John Duncan

A NAS with Plex or Twonky on it should either 1) just serve up the file as it is, provided the Denon supports ALAC or 2) transcode to something else if it doesn't.

Fairly sure QNAP and Synology both have Twonky already, and that Plex can be put on lots of devices.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi

My synology NAS streams both ALAC & FLAC in their native form and is easily controlled via a synology app called DS Audio.

I'm not using Twonky or Plex and it works fine. The app allows me to stream to Airplay devices or any DNLA (DLNA?) client.

You can choose to transcode on the fly if needed but it is not forced unless you choose to.

I've no experience of the QNAP but I am very impressed by the synology as they keep it updated and are adding new features all the time.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I see this thread has been around a few weeks but, fr0sty, if you still haven't decided I use a Synology 213j. I stream to a Denon Network player, it won't play ALAC files gapless but it does gapless with FLAC files. I used dbpoweramp to convert from ALAC to FLAC. All works fine for me, and I've got a spare, brand new, enclosure
smiley-wink.gif
(no hard drives).

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
and just to help clear up some confusion, m4a files are the audio part of mp4, using AAC codec, i.e. lossless, but, and now hears the confusing part, m4a is also used by Apple for its lossless format using ALAC codec. I think thats about right, I'm sure someone will clarify if it's not.

Life's never simple is it.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
chrisr1718 said:
I see this thread has been around a few weeks but, fr0sty, if you still haven't decided I use a Synology 213j. I stream to a Denon Network player, it won't play ALAC files gapless but it does gapless with FLAC files. I used dbpoweramp to convert from ALAC to FLAC. All works fine for me, and I've got a spare, brand new, enclosure
smiley-wink.gif
(no hard drives).

+1 for Synology. My 212j does gapless for ALAC.

nadpolk

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
Hi

My synology NAS streams both ALAC & FLAC in their native form and is easily controlled via a synology app called DS Audio.

I'm not using Twonky or Plex and it works fine. The app allows me to stream to Airplay devices or any DNLA (DLNA?) client.

You can choose to transcode on the fly if needed but it is not forced unless you choose to.

I've no experience of the QNAP but I am very impressed by the synology as they keep it updated and are adding new features all the time.

Hello, I am planning to get the Synology 215j. I have a NAD amplifier with an inbuilt DAC module with 1 USB type B and 1 TOSLINK input. Can I stuff all my FLAC music into the NAS and simply connect it to the amplifier with an USB cable? I am assuming the existing software installed in the Synology NAS (Audio Station / DS Audio) will be sufficient to playback FLAC without any loss. I hope I do not need any additional harware / interface. I am trying to avoid having to use my laptop every time to playback FLAC music. Heard that the Synology Android app is also cool to use it as a GUI for playing back media - (in my case 99.9% is music).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts