Need help finding best noise canceling headphones

moocow

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I am rather uneducated when it comes to headphones and would like some expertise on what I should go for. My piorities are for best noise reduction (as always working with trucks , tractors low frequency growly stuff), and wireless would be prefered as often moving about. The actual music quality is not such a piority as want to use the headphones more for talking on the phone ( iPhone) and listening to lectures than for quality music. The Bose 15 sounds good but needs a cable connection, and the parrot zik seems good too but may not have the noise cancelling ability of the Bose? Your thoughts please.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
moocow said:
I am rather uneducated when it comes to headphones and would like some expertise on what I should go for. My piorities are for best noise reduction (as always working with trucks , tractors low frequency growly stuff), and wireless would be prefered as often moving about. The actual music quality is not such a piority as want to use the headphones more for talking on the phone ( iPhone) and listening to lectures than for quality music. The Bose 15 sounds good but needs a cable connection, and the parrot zik seems good too but may not have the noise cancelling ability of the Bose? Your thoughts please.

The ZIK is bulky and heavy while the QC-15 is light and stays more securely on your head. The QC-15 also does not have the echo and other anomalies that I experienced with the ZIK. Cords are a problem, yes, and Bose makes the AE2W wireless you could try. I reviewed the AE2i and it sounds very good (neutral, a real plus!), but it's not noise-canceling. I'd suggest if you can to put your music player up high, strapped to your shoulder or something, then have the QC-15 plugged into that, but tie up most of the cord and tuck it into whatever secures the music player.

moocow

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your creative and informative reply. What is the Q c 15 like with phone use, in particular picking up speech? Does one still need to use the phone speaker? Also noise cancelation capacity compared to the parrot zik please.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
moocow said:
Thanks for your creative and informative reply. What is the Q c 15 like with phone use, in particular picking up speech? Does one still need to use the phone speaker? Also noise cancelation capacity compared to the parrot zik please.

All the experts I know of (Innerfidelity etc.) say the QC-15 is the best noise canceler, which agrees with my experience. Although the QC-15 is designed to block heavy noise, it has some kind of programming to allow close-by voices to be heard.

One thing that may help a lot is a product called VIP Faders by v-moda. They are unique in that they passively block noise like noise plugs, but where noise plugs block much more at high freq's and much less at lower freq's, the Faders block evenly across the spectrum, so using them under a headphone may be a good solution. Google VIP Faders and you'll learn more than I can relate.

I haven't used a QC-15 with a phone, since I never use a headphone mic.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Does it have to be headphones?

Earphones can provide better and more even isolation, especially in the low frequencies.

For example, Bose QC20 or Etymotic hf3.

The Bose has an Aware Mode and the Etymotic comes with the Awareness App for iOS which could also come in handy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts