Need help deciding what speaker to choose

Sigu

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I currently have a pair of Dali concept 8 I bought years ago but now it's time for a change. So I was thinking a 5.1 setup, I already have a sub (SVS) but I need some help deciding what speakers to get cause I really cant make up my mind.

Price range : £2000 + -

The speakers will be used for movies 80% of the time.

I would like a system that's exciting and dynamic.

The reciver I'm currently using is a Harman Kardon (cant remember the rest right now , will check once I get home), but I was thinking about replacing it once I get new speakers, the priority right now is new speakers

I've already been recommended Klipsch and Monitor Audio

any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated :)

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm looking for a 5.1 set aswell at the moment. Good choices seem to be.

Dali Fazon or Motif 5.1

Focal Dome

B&W MT-30 (being updated in september)

KEF 3005

Monitor Audio Apex seems to be the best

These are my options but if you go larger you get better sound (I personally want small style speakers)

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Sigu said:
Hi

I currently have a pair of Dali concept 8 I bought years ago but now it's time for a change. So I was thinking a 5.1 setup, I already have a sub (SVS) but I need some help deciding what speakers to get cause I really cant make up my mind.

Price range : £2000 + -

The speakers will be used for movies 80% of the time.

I would like a system that's exciting and dynamic.

The reciver I'm currently using is a Harman Kardon (cant remember the rest right now , will check once I get home), but I was thinking about replacing it once I get new speakers, the priority right now is new speakers

I've already been recommended Klipsch and Monitor Audio

any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated :)

Take a good look at the KEF Q series, suggestion would be Q700 (900s if you like), Q600C centre, Q300 rears if you have room,

should be about £1,700 to £1,900 dependant on the front L&R

I have the front set up with Q700 and Q600C, bloody brilliant and I have heard that the Q900 are even better.

Go get a full audition, you will be surprised how good they are!!

A

Anonymous

I demoed the q500 today, and they did sound very detailed, with excellent mid range, but I was disappointed with the bass they provided, I'm sure that's not an issue in the 700 & 900 with the bigger drivers, but the new tweeters are awesome.

Also the Q600c is huge, if you go that route, make sure you can house that sucker!

Sigu

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I will try to get a demo of the KEF Q series in the morning, what reciver would be a good match with the KEF's?

anyone got any info on the Klipsch Refrence(RF) speakers?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Dali Concept 6 and 8 are very nice speakers.won't be easy to replace.the way to upgrade is to get better detail on higher frequencies , but they wont be easy to better

Sigu

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree they are good speakers , but their strong side is music espescially acoustic stuff, I like the detailed sound they give.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying they sound terrible playing movies, but I want a 5.1 setup and the concept center is just a little too weak in my opinion.

Yesterday I got a demo of the KEF Q series , unfortunatly they only had the Q100 in the store, but anyway they were powered by a marantz power amp and marantz pre amp(not sure which ones), I think they had a slighty darker tone than dali, but they were dynamic and entertaining which is important to me. They also had a pair of Canton Chrono 502.2 which they hooked up too the same amps, they had a brighter and slightly more detailed sound (at least to my ears) they did however not have the same "punch" as the Q100.

He gave me a price for a set of 5 speakers of each series the KEF Q700, Q600c and the Q800ds and the Canton Chrono 502.2 505.2 and 508.2 . the canton set was a bit cheaper then the kefs. so I'm trying to decide. will let you know what I end up with.

I checked the dimmensions on the Q600c and I must say that is really tempting , I love a big center ;)

Sigu

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Well I dont have room for Q500 rears so it would have to be Q800ds or Q300 but the Canton's are also very tempting, I'll do a bit more research before I make my decision

Sliced Bread

My friend who works for one of HK's professional music subsidies has a HK amp hooked up with warfdales. That works pretty well.

Another possible route is the b&w cm series.
Cm8, CMCC and CM1

I demod splendor A3, pmc gb1 (lovely), monitor audio rx's and the classic kef series (not new q series).

For me the b&ws were the best all rounder. That's a personal statement though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts