Need help choosing new bookshelf speakers

Zekes69

May 31, 2020
Visit site
I want to upgrade my q100 kef bookshelf speakers, I’m powering them with a NAD c368 and a goldenears subwoofer for bass.
my problem is my room had 20’ high ceilings and when watching tv or anything with voices I have to crank the volume to understand what’s being said. Any recommendations on a speaker that throw dialogue at low volumes? I’m thinking something horn? Also I like to crank them up when listening to music. I can only go 18” high on new speakers

Hiya.

Think the learned guys and gals will need more information before making any recommendations.

What is the length and width of the room in question? How much are looking to spend? And what is the room acoustics like? is it reflective or well damped with soft furnishings?

I've always believed that room layout and acoustics is as important as the set-up itself.

Cheers.

Reactions: Zekes69

Zekes69

May 31, 2020
Visit site
Hiya.

Think the learned guys and gals will need more information before making any recommendations.

What is the length and width of the room in question? How much are looking to spend? And what is the room acoustics like? is it reflective or well damped with soft furnishings?

I've always believed that room layout and acoustics is as important as the set-up itself.

Cheers.

Gray

Me too. (I treated 2 walls and an entire ceiling to transform my sound for the better).
The mention of a 20' high ceiling made me wonder about the acoustics in the OPs case.
Excess reverberation can adversely affect the intelligibility of speech.
Having owned Q100, I see no reason why they would be a specific cause of the speech audibility problem.
But if OP wants some new speakers, room details will help people come up with suggestions.

12 x 17 would like to stay under $2000 I will try and get a picture on here, it won’t let me attach a jpeg
If you like the Kef sound then R3 standmounts could be what you're looking for. They are bigger than the Q100, especially the depth. I've not heard the R3 but have their predecessors R300s. They do give a big sound for a standmount monitor.

Would you consider compact floorstanders? if they are firing down the length they could work out ideal. Assuming you have hard flooring Kef R500 should be fine.

I would always urge anyone to home demo before parting with any money.

Gray

Acoustics are definitely going to be an issue, my other half definitely won’t go for room treatments.
My room treatment was only the thickest possible cork tiles on the 2 walls and raised-pattern polystyrene ceiling tiles.
So they weren't ugly - but not pretty either, so probably not woman friendly :rolleyes:
There are some better looking wall mounted panels etc. that might be worth looking into, because it's impossible to overstate the benefit of killing excess reverb.

On the Kef's; I won my Q100s as a prize and gave them to my brother.
The point is that, funny enough, he uses them (on a Denon mini system) specifically to allow him to hear TV dialogue.
(That's why I thought yours should be up to the job).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts