Need help, bad song or my system ?

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday evening I stumbled on the song : A guided tour. The artist is The field. I was alone so decided to crank the volume and to my surprise it was horrible. The bass had to be the boomiest bass to ever come out of my system to the point I beleived my amp is defect or woofers blown. I was playing from spotify. Can someone check that please? Happens at 40% volume or more on my system.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

I've noticed that I don't get the best sound from streaming services. - I use Qobuz streaming Flac at CD quality, but it just doesn't sound anywhere near the quality I get from Audirvana Plus using iTunes as my library for my ripped CD's.

Just tried this on Quobus and it sounds great!- not boomy at all - thanks for the introduction....

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply but Im very sad now! Ill investigate further. If not the source it could either be my naim amp or spendor speakers
cry_smile.gif
. Very bad news ! Automn my nad 275 bee failed, one of my speakers started making a buzzing sound, my tube mp burned and now this! Makes me wanna cry.

Funny Infiniteloop, The Field has an album : A looping state of mind. I really like it.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
But I've just stramed it on soundcloud through my amp and listened through headphones.

The bass on the track is way over the top IMO. Not booming on my Beyerdynamics, but it's too much. I'd say you could probably tweak your system to suit, but everything that's recorded well would be compromised then.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
There's nothing wrong with Spotify sound quality, so I would go for the track or your speakers.

Songs played before appeared to be ok. Thats why I want a track check from someone else. Just tried with my headphones and It hard to tell, seems a bit dstorted too but not as bad. My daughter is watchin smurfs right now so im limited in test options. I will need to be alone to crank the volume again.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
But I've just stramed it on soundcloud through my amp and listened through headphones.

The bass on the track is way over the top IMO. Not booming on my Beyerdynamics, but it's too much. I'd say you could probably tweak your system to suit, but everything that's recorded well would be compromised then.

It appears on my akg headphones to have bad bass too but on my system it was horrible, boomy distorted. My lat system could play the song well from memory (nad 275 and paradigm studio 9) now naim 5si and spendor s6e. But its hard to really remember, have i cranked it that loud before, cnt remember.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
pyrrhon said:
TrevC said:
There's nothing wrong with Spotify sound quality, so I would go for the track or your speakers.

Songs played before appeared to be ok. Thats why I want a track check from someone else. Just tried with my headphones and It hard to tell, seems a bit dstorted too but not as bad. My daughter is watchin smurfs right now so im limited in test options. I will need to be alone to crank the volume again.

If everything else sounds ok, then it must be the track. You can't have perfect sound with everything you play, especially with recordings like that. This is why I wouldn't have an amp without tone controls, knocking the bass down to about11 o'clock would probably make it tracks like that listenable. That music isn't recorded for Hi-Fi, it's meant to sound good on average gear that can't reporduce bass.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
pyrrhon said:
MeanandGreen said:

It appears on my akg headphones to have bad bass too but on my system it was horrible, boomy distorted. My lat system could play the song well from memory (nad 275 and paradigm studio 9) now naim 5si and spendor s6e. But its hard to really remember, have i cranked it that loud before, cnt remember.

I'll try it on my NAD/Tannoy system and report back.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I've just streamed it through my main system which also has 2 subwoofers. The bass is very dominating in the mix as it was through headphones. Not the worst I've ever heard, but I'd say the blame lies more with the recording than it does with your system.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
pyrrhon said:
Thanks for the quick reply but Im very sad now! Ill investigate further. If not the source it could either be my naim amp or spendor speakers . Very bad news ! Automn my nad 275 bee failed, one of my speakers started making a buzzing sound, my tube mp burned and now this! Makes me wanna cry.

Funny Infiniteloop, The Field has an album : A looping state of mind. I really like it.

It could be that your room has a node thats sensitive to that particular bass frequency. The fact that it only happens past a certain volume would point to this IMO.

I don't think it's your equipment, especially if you're not getting it with other music.

SteveR750

Yup, it's a pretty poor mix. Way too much synthetic kick drum with no depth to it. If you want some electro music with a thumping bassline listen to deadmau5 Strobe. That will shake your bass drivers into action.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Terrible song! If I had to listen to that I'd burn my hifi.

Chris

PS I'm sorry i couldn't resist!

I just play all kinds of music sometimes. But to be honest I like these looping hypnotic songs. I tried to play this song when having guests, and I had complains right away. Most people usually ask to change style so its really no effense, you can bash the song. Anyway the mix is horrible so I have to agree.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The distortion is very clearly there in the mix. It's not your system. It's not mixed for people like you to scrutinize it. It's mixed to sound acceptable on £25 iPod docks.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
The distortion is very clearly there in the mix. It's not your system. It's not mixed for people like you to scrutinize it. It's mixed to sound acceptable on £25 iPod docks.

Exactly!

It's not good enough for a good system, it's mixed for the lowest of the low.

Also when I streamed it I couldn't stand the actual track either, I certainly couldn't listen to 8 minutes of that.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what preamp, eeceiver or Integrated amp you have, but 40% on your volume knob does not usually mean 40%. I've owned amps where as the volume was at the 10 'clock position and the volume level must have been 70% of max.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Problem identified :

50% song .

50% speakers cant deal with high levels at that frequency.

Another thing learned, some speakers will have linear distorition levels when pushed hard while others like mine will distort exponentially so when distorition starts, you cant increase volume at all or it booms like crazy.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
pyrrhon said:
Problem identified :

50% song .

50% speakers cant deal with high levels at that frequency.

Another thing learned, some speakers will have linear distorition levels when pushed hard while others like mine will distort exponentially so when distorition starts, you cant increase volume at all or it booms like crazy.

I think it's your room acoustics and combination of a duff recording rather than anything to do with your kit.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
A couple of things you could also check. The playback settings for Spotify. Also if you are streaming from a divice that has a volume control before the signal gets to the one on your amp make sure that's at full so you are giving the amp the full signal and you're not just cranking up a low volume signal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts