Need advice on turntable options

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am going to start from square one with my hi-fi system and while visiting a friend recently, I saw a Goldring Lenco GL75 that he had picked up off eBay. I have read the reviews on the GL75 and I'm guessing the quality would be extremely variable (esp. the idler wheel) and it does require a fair amount of setting up.

I had been looking at aThorens TD160 or Rega Planar 2 (new) as a decent entry level system for my collection of largely rock, jazz and dance music (33/45rpm). Any constructive help or advice for a decent turntable setup under £500 would be greatly appreciated, before I make a mistake buying a GL75 that may not be as good as it looks.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Ooh I like spending other peoples money!

If you're looking brand new then maybe the following:

For £500 you could go for a Rega P3 (old model but good) for £300 plus a decent cartridge (Goldring, Ortofon,etc.) and still have change, on Ebay there's a Rega RP3 (P3 replacement) with Rega Elys 2 for £495, if you don't mind the union jack colour scheme that is. I'm sure there's plenty more recommendations to come :cheers:

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
You could get yourself a second hand Manticore Mantra on eBay. It's a superb TT. They usually go for around £150. There is an immaculate one on eBay at present, but it's starting price of £450 is rather high. I don't expect it'll sell at that, but it would still be worth it.

There's also a rather nice fully working Technics SL-7, direct drive linear tracker on eBay. I just bought a non-worker for £58 which I hope to get serviced and back to its prime.

For new or modified classics have a look at Inspire Hi-Fi. www.inspirehifi.co.uk

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ifor said:
You could get yourself a second hand Manticore Mantra on eBay. It's a superb TT. They usually go for around £150. There is an immaculate one on eBay at present, but it's starting price of £450 is rather high. I don't expect it'll sell at that, but it would still be worth it.

There's also a rather nice fully working Technics SL-7, direct drive linear tracker on eBay. I just bought a non-worker for £58 which I hope to get serviced and back to its prime.

For new or modified classics have a look at Inspire Hi-Fi. www.inspirehifi.co.uk

Definately optimistic at that price but in it's favour is that Magician tonearm.......brilliant!

A

Anonymous

Thanks, mitch...Yes, I like spending other peoples' money but now then I have to spend my own... :)

The Rega P3 is a great turntable; which arm do you think would be best for the deck if I went brand new?

A

Anonymous

Thanks ifor...

Wow! I'd forgotten about the Manticore Mantra...I see you have one with the Rega RB301 arm; will definitely check the TT out.

Not sure about the Technics linear tracker but thanks for rec. and I will definitely follow it up.

A

Anonymous

Just checked out the Mantra on eBay...it really is stunning; wonder how it sounds?

A

Anonymous

Just checked out the Mantra on eBay...it really is stunning; wonder how it sounds?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
MK10 said:
Thanks, mitch...Yes, I like spending other peoples' money but now then I have to spend my own... :)

The Rega P3 is a great turntable; which arm do you think would be best for the deck if I went brand new?

It comes with the rb301 as standard so all you would need is a cartridge

A

Anonymous

Thanks...I was just checking if the standard arm was still the best suited. I have to say that this is probably my 1st option...

Thanks for all the input, recommendations & discussion.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ifor said:
Now there really is a bargain Manticore Mantra on eBay, from Inspire HiFi. It's got a buy it now price of £275.

Spotted that earlier, not a bad deal with a nice cartridge to start off with and plenty of the 'upgradeability factor' thrown in for good measure

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd go for a Lenco all day everyday over a Rega. Any Rega. As standard the Lenco is good. It can be modified and fettled as far as you like to the extent that it can become one of the best sounding turntables ever made.

If you want something that's less fuss and more fit and forget, get a decent Japanese direct drive in full working condition. One that was towards the top of the product range when new. A heavy one. Not some cheap light plasticky rubbish.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I'd go for a Lenco all day everyday over a Rega. Any Rega. As standard the Lenco is good. It can be modified and fettled as far as you like to the extent that it can become one of the best sounding turntables ever made.

If you want something that's less fuss and more fit and forget, get a decent Japanese direct drive in full working condition. One that was towards the top of the product range when new. A heavy one. Not some cheap light plasticky rubbish.

.....and there speaks the voice of reason........

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
lindsayt said:

Brings us back to the likes of the Technics SL-7. The one I bought a couple of weeks ago (£58 including a Technis SA-210 receiver) isn't yet working, but I expect it to be back to its prime after a £97 service by Vantage Audio. Then I have to get new stylus. A fully working one sold on eBay for £311 a couple of days ago.

I'd have to disagree with lindsayt over the Goldring. Never liked the GL75 even when new and wouldn't spend a penny on one now (it wil be ancient) and certainly not with a budget of 500GBP. Any recent deck like the readily available Regas, or an older Thorens perhaps. My own Michell was ex-dem and in the £700s with cartridge. Certainly avoid old wrecks like the Goldring - rather get an old Dual or Pioneer if a beer budget!

A

Anonymous

Hey,

Sorry for hijacking this topic a bit but I have similar situation as the OP.

I used to collect and to listen vinyls alot but the players weren't that great. Recently I have been thinking about a new player so I could listen to my collection again.

For now I have narrowed my budget around 400 euros (approx. 345 pounds) without a phono stage. I've been spotting some new and second hand equipment and now I have few options to go (not in particular order):

1. Project RPM 5.1 with 2M Red for 400 euros. Second hand but mint. Overall usage around 20 hours or so. I will get this for testing this weekend. There is also an option to buy this with Audio Quest MC-5 high output cart, extra cork mat, scale and some other stuff for extra 100 e.

2. Project Debut Carbon Esprit for 400 euros. New with 2M Red cart.

3. Goldring GR2 with some basic Ortofon cart for 230 euros. Second hand from a hifi dealer. Would buy better cart for this option.

4. Used Rega Planar 3 from the end of 90's for 370 euros. Comes with Denon DL-304 MC cart (no clue about its age but works fine).

I also were looking for some new Rega RP1 but here in scandinavia the availability is bit problematic at the moment. And going for used equipment maybe allows me to get a bit better tt. I would be very happy if I could get some opinions as it has been a while I've been dealing with tt's and because of this my references aren't really up-to-date.

Thanks,

Mimmo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts