Need advice on floorstanders and av receiver for HT!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey, im looking to upgrade my current surround sound system. I use it for 70% movies, 30% music so ideally needs to be fairly capable at both. To start with im just going to get the fronts and then build on that over the next year or so. Im also gonna upgrade my receiver.

I often have my music on quietly in the background just as much as full blast music and movies so ideally I would a system that sounds nice at low levels aswell as mid and high levels. I've heard floorstanders tend to be better at lower levels than standmounts so i have mostly been looking at them for fronts, but after about 500 hours of reading reviews and guides, I have got totally lost in the choices and I dont really have the option of demo'ing many sets so would like to have a good short list before i book an appointment at a dealer.

The room is about 4m x 10m with the tv on the 10m wall and wood floor

These are the speakers I've been looking at:

Brand

Model

Price (£)

Bowers & Wilkins

Bowers & Wilkins

KEF

Q500

KEF

Q700

Monitor Audio

BX5

Monitor Audio

BX6

Monitor Audio

RX6

Monitor Audio

RX8

Mordaunt Short

Aviano 6

Mordaunt Short

Aviano 8

Mordaunt Short

Mezzo 6

Mordaunt Short

Mezzo 8

Q Acoustics

Rega

RS3

Rega

RS5

Tannoy

Mercury V4

Tannoy

Revolution Signature DC4T

Tannoy

Revolution Signature DC6T

Klipsch

RF-52 II

Klipsch

RF-62 II

Klipsch

RF-82 II

Polk Audio

TSi500

I’ve heard a lot of good stuff about the Tannoy DC6T’s but im just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about any of the speakers in the list of any ive missed!!

Im gonna base my decision of av receiver on which speakers im gonna go for.

Unfortunately my budget is only around £1000 for floorstanders and receiver, and I don’t really wanna push it much higher, ideally under it hehe, which means I can only really afford to spend as much on the receiver as I would like:

Onkyo TX-SR608

Denon AVR-1911

Sony STR-DH810

Yamaha RXV667

Or something similar.

I know these receivers aren’t really good enough for the Tannoy’s or a lot of the speakers in the list but I would prefer to get a nice speaker system first and then I can upgrade the receiver at a later date. But that’s why im posting the thread, I don’t really know that much about it so I would really appreciate peoples experience and opinions on this…… Would the lower end receiver make the speakers sound really bad? Ive also heard the tannoys tend to be a little bright in the high end, would a warmer sounding receiver cover this?

So what do you guys think? Would really appreciate your opinion on which speakers I should demo and what to do about the receiver…. :S

Thanks in advance for the advice, appreciate it!!

A

Anonymous

My choice would be the RX6 with the Yamaha 667, then if it does not suit your music taste you could always add a 2 channel amp and use the pre-outs. I think the Yamaha is the most musical and I love the RX6.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts