Need advice on buying an amp

I have mission model 70 speakers which i'd like to connect to my laptop. I know I need an amp, but which one? There's so much choice! My budget can stretch to around £200. Please help a hi fi newbie out.

Also, do amps normally come with wires for commecting to speakers and laptop?

Thanks

The amp that immediately occurs to me is the NAD 3020d. I'm afraid that is twice your budget new, but maybe you can find a used one on Ebay?

Someone else may have a better idea! Maybe a Dragonfly DAC at £129 leading to a Cambridge Audio Topaz at £79?

Amplifiers don't come with cable, but a dealer will possibly offer a good deal on some to get you going.

Had you a model in mind?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend a USB Dac from Maplin like this plugged into a USB port in your laptop at £49.99.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/digital-to-analogue-audio-converter-a14kf

This can be connected to a Poppulse T150 integrated amp with a cheap interconnect like this one for £2.58

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-Pro-Audio-Metal-2-x-RCA-Phono-Plugs-to-Plugs-Cable-Lead-Gold-006943-/381442039113?hash=item58cfb79d49:g:9ncAAOSwymxVJna9

And the Poppulse T 150 integrated amp for £149.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pop-Pulse-T150CE-Tripath-TA2022-2015-model-UK-Stock-/301903985117?hash=item464ae139dd:g:qiQAAOSwRHNVAtdA

And lastly some speaker cable for £16.99 .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4m-pair-2x4-0mm-Speaker-Cable-with-Banana-Plug-Connectors-Adapter-4mm-/291732297349?hash=item43ec999685:g:8WwAAOxy4YdTRwo1

Just add you own speakers, total cost £219..55 *biggrin*

I have owned the Poppulse and the Maplin dac so I can vouch for their quality personally, I have heard nothing else that is anywhere near as good for the price.

The Poppulse T 150 is a superb amplifier that will drive your Missions easily .

I hope this helps *smile* .

TrevC

Vishal Gossain said:
I have mission model 70 speakers which i'd like to connect to my laptop. I know I need an amp, but which one? There's so much choice! My budget can stretch to around £200. Please help a hi fi newbie out.

Thanks

Get the excellent Behringer DAC UCA222 for around £24 and you will have a goodly amount left for the amp. I would go for this. http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/yamaha/as201/yama-as201-blk

The DAC comes with a built in USB connection and has phono outputs. Buy some wires in Richer sounds, get cheap interconnects and 4mm stranded copper speaker wires.

K

keeper of the quays

I would go with Electro suggestion..top advice

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Vishal Gossain said:

Thanks

do u need remote control for adjusting volume?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Everyone will just recommend their own favourites, nothing wrong with that, but you are unlikely to get much of a concensus.

The dac part is easy, a Behringer UCA202, not the UCA222 which is mpre expensive and comes with software you neither need nor want.

Add any of the sub £150 amps from Richers, whichever you prefer. You will get multiple inputs and remote control. The UCA202 plugs straight into your computer usb, you will need a pair of phono leads, probably not supplied but decent ones can be had for £10, Use mains cable for the speakers, preferably 30amp 'twin and earth' (see recent 'Solid Core' thread), a local electrical shop can supply this for no more than £1 per meter.

The PopPulse has something of a reputation but is absolutely basic, no input switching, no remote etc. Worth a look if that works for you.

TrevC

davedotco said:
Everyone will just recommend their own favourites, nothing wrong with that, but you are unlikely to get much of a concensus.

The dac part is easy, a Behringer UCA202, not the UCA222 which is mpre expensive and comes with software you neither need nor want.

Add any of the sub £150 amps from Richers, whichever you prefer. You will get multiple inputs and remote control. The UCA202 plugs straight into your computer usb, you will need a pair of phono leads, probably not supplied but decent ones can be had for £10, Use mains cable for the speakers, preferably 30amp 'twin and earth' (see recent 'Solid Core' thread), a local electrical shop can supply this for no more than £1 per meter.

The PopPulse has something of a reputation but is absolutely basic, no input switching, no remote etc. Worth a look if that works for you.

I suggested the 222 because I found it on sale at a lower price, £24, than the the 202 at £25. Of course either will do. The Yamaha is an out and out bargain for an amp with a remote control at £129 when you consider the 100 wpc output power and built in phono stage.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Either will of course do fine.

Depending on the computer, Yamaha have both an amplifier and a receiver under £200 with built in dacs, no usb, just optical ond coax, might be a match.

John M

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Not one that I have experience of, but the Onkyo A-9010 @ £199 has some outstanding user reviews and also What HiFi.

Cant seem to be able to past a link as the link tool does not seem compatible with iPad.*scratch_one-s_head*

rainsoothe

some reading around says that those Mission speakers are very lively, so you need an amp that can counterbalance that. Look for used or discounted Nad C326BEE, or normal price Nad C316BEE. Or even the vintage Nad 3020.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts