Need a small general purpose sub for my new study

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need a small sub for my new study. It's a small room, 2m x 2m with a desk etc. Hardwood floor on floorboards. I have 5.0 setup right now, a hybid of Onkyo 308 AV amp, Diamond 9.0 speaker pair in front and Bose cubes as rear and centre (centre to be replaced next).

The Yamaha YSTFSW050 looks nice and compact but opinion only coming from general reviews not audio fans.

Any suggestions / opinions?

Cheers.
Paul

Speedyblade

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
How about the Gemini from the same manufacturer for £100 less? It'd be fine for a study - BKS Elec have designed/made a good percentage of the WHF award winning subs as subcontractors to the major speaker manufacturers over the years and are the mutts nuts.

I have an XLS300PR attached to my home cinema system and love the thing - back to back with the main hifi (Naim/B&W) the bass is quality! The general musicality of the cinema system is appreciably less than the hifi but the bass - great!

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
If you plan on upgrading your centre speaker as well a matching centre with the Wharfedale fronts is more inportant than a matching sub.Getting the Diamond 9 c may be tricky as this is a 2004 model and now has been discontinued.You could look for the Diamond 10 c for £99.00 and the SW150 sub for £169.00,this will depend on colour you wish and availbilty.You could also look in to getting a new system say something like the Wharfedale 10 hcp for around £400 if you like this sound of traditional speaker boxes, sell your old Diamond 9's and use the spare pair of Diamond 10's for a stero set up in another room, or flog them as well, this would bring down the price.As for the Yamaha sub ive not heard it but i imagine it would be good enought to fill that size room.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info, think I'll go for the Gemini even if it is over budget. I'm a sucker for LEDs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts