Need a new amp

Maor

Oct 15, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just recently got into hi-fi. I'm facing some big decisions soon, and I'd appreciate your advice.

I recently sold my amplifier because I'm looking to upgrade my setup. I need a new amp, a phono stage for my turntable, and I'm also interested in getting a streamer.

A friend offered me a Cambridge Audio Azur 851A for €400, but it doesn't have a built-in phono stage. Should I go for it and buy a separate, budget-friendly phono stage? Or should I look for a streamer with a built-in phono stage?

My budget for everything is around €600, and I'm looking to buy second-hand.

Here's my current gear:

• Speakers: JBL L46
  • Turntable: Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1900
  • DAC: Musical Fidelity V-DAC 2
Any suggestions on the best path forward?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just recently got into hi-fi. I'm facing some big decisions soon, and I'd appreciate your advice.

I recently sold my amplifier because I'm looking to upgrade my setup. I need a new amp, a phono stage for my turntable, and I'm also interested in getting a streamer.

A friend offered me a Cambridge Audio Azur 851A for €400, but it doesn't have a built-in phono stage. Should I go for it and buy a separate, budget-friendly phono stage? Or should I look for a streamer with a built-in phono stage?

Here's my current gear:

you might have trouble finding a streamer with a phono stage, buy a separate phono preamp might be the easiest route.
Failing that look for second-hand Marantz or Denon amplifiers which have a good inbuilt phono stage.

Juzzie Wuzzie

Would have said the WiiM Ultra streamer as it has a phono stage (but also would possibly top out your budget). Given you have a decent DAC, would suggest:

1. brand new WiiM mini (€100)
2. Graham Slee Communicator Phono Amp (€120-200 on ebay)
3. the Cambridge Amp (€400)

which could be on or around budget. Not sure if you are in Spain, but a number of the online retailers do IVA free days at certain times of the year which would save you 21% on the WiiM mini.

Or a cheaper option:

1. brand new WiiM Amp (€369)
2. Graham Slee Communicator Phono Amp (€120-200 on ebay)
and sell your current DAC.

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

Fandango Andy

Hi everyone,

Here's my current gear:

Second hand prices vary massively from country to country, so it is hard to advise. However, that looks like a reasonable price for a good amp.

You should be able to pick up a WiiM Mini, and a Pro-Ject Phono Box E for about €150.

It all depends what else is available for the money.

Reactions: Al ears

Maor

Oct 15, 2024
Visit site
Thank you all for your helpful advice!

I've decided to go with your recommendation and purchase the Azur 851A.
It seems like I’ll need to save up a bit more for a better streamer, unless I can find a really good deal!

As for the phono preamp, I'm currently deciding between the Vincent PHO-112 Preamplifier and the Pro-Ject Phono Box MM. Has anyone here tried these? Which do you think would be more suitable for my setup?

Please, let me know your opinions

Have a nice day

Fandango Andy

Thank you all for your helpful advice!

I've decided to go with your recommendation and purchase the Azur 851A.
It seems like I’ll need to save up a bit more for a better streamer, unless I can find a really good deal!

As for the phono preamp, I'm currently deciding between the Vincent PHO-112 Preamplifier and the Pro-Ject Phono Box MM. Has anyone here tried these? Which do you think would be more suitable for my setup?

Please, let me know your opinions

Have a nice day
Your speakers and Amp (when you get it) are a class above your turntable. I am not familiar with the Vincent, but the Pro-Ject will be more than sufficient for your needs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts