Neat Petite SX?

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone any experience with these? I'm looking to do a home demo, but they will be a new set, so won't get the full experience, I Imagine.
They will be on the end of a DAC/282/250/Hicap.
I recently tried the Kef LS50 and found them a bit bass heavy, but loved the detail and clarity they brought. Soundstage was great too.
Also, how would the Petites compare to Harbeth P3ESR?

John Duncan

I loved them with the NaimUniti, very tight and clean. Trying to find what I wrote at the time...

EDIT - seems I didn't write much, but there are some snippets here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/neat-petite-sx-for-naim-uniti

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Due to a (temporary) change in domestic circumstances, I was considering these as a replacement to my Dynaudios...but according to my dealer they need lots of space behind them, even when fed with a tight Naim system. Comments?

I have yet to hear them yet...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
audiokid said:
Has anyone any experience with these? I'm looking to do a home demo, but they will be a new set, so won't get the full experience, I Imagine. They will be on the end of a DAC/282/250/Hicap. I recently tried the Kef LS50 and found them a bit bass heavy, but loved the detail and clarity they brought. Soundstage was great too. Also, how would the Petites compare to Harbeth P3ESR?

Kef lS50s bass heavy, the main complaint is they are bass light?

Must be the positioning you used, you can put bungs(full or part.) in the ports to reduce bass if near to walls.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I tried the SX at home with own kit + at dealer briefly on the end XS and CD5Si comparing against NEat Motive 3. I haven't heard other speakers.

In my setup I preferred the Motives, probably because my 5i got more out of them compared to SX. Better low volume / bit more exciting sounding. I had 30cm from rear wall no problem and were not overpowering in my room 16ft by 14ft ish. They don't sound a great deal "bigger" or "Room filling" than the Motives. Speaker size very close except SX bigger driver.

Thought on SX were very fast and detailed, were adept at drawing you into the music, especially when using the XS and CD5si. Had more scale than Motive 3 and bass more tuneful with much better defined soundstage. SX are very revealing and guess they would benefit from more expensive gear.

I might reconsider after Amp upgrade although testing the XS with Motive brought out a lot more from them so might look at Source first down the line.

Be interested in your findings

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I have owned the Petit SX for nearly 2 years. Very immediate sounding with good clarity and presentation. No problem if situated a liitle away from the wall. Not really any criticism. I prefered them to Neat Motive 2 and 3, DB1 and ATC 7. Because I listen to 90% classical, if I had any hyper-critical view, I would possibly prefer a slightly more sophisticated listen, but this is mre than likely the brittleness of my listening room.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it was because the demo amp wasn't powerful enough. They were good on a Superuniti though.

Decided to order the LS50 and Petite for a one week trial.

eltee00

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
audiokid said:
I think it was because the demo amp wasn't powerful enough. They were good on a Superuniti though.

Decided to order the LS50 and Petite for a one week trial.

What was your comments? I currently own the LS50 with Naim XS and thinking about changing to the Elite SX. Would love to hear your comparison of them.

eltee00

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
What was your comments? I currently own the LS50 with Naim XS and thinking about changing to the Elite SX. Would love to hear your comparison of them.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
jockey.wilson said:
Due to a (temporary) change in domestic circumstances, I was considering these as a replacement to my Dynaudios...but according to my dealer they need lots of space behind them, even when fed with a tight Naim system. Comments?

I have yet to hear them yet...

Can't remember exactly where I read it, but reviewer Malcolm Steward said the Petites are intended to be used with rear wall reinforcement, meaning the opposite of requiring lots of space. Will very much depend on the room of course. A quick email to Bob at Neat would be an idea, he is very helpful.

As for the LS50 vs Petite SX, surely they are quite different designs at different price points? I heard and loved the Petite SX in a demo with Naim kit, and had them at home; didn't go for them at the time and now own PMC Twenty.22 (my room not liking rear ported speakers at all).

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
The Petites are a decent speaker, but preferred the Harbeths. The Harbeths have a better mid range, a realistic level of detail and the sealed cabinet prodices more accurate bass than the ported neats.

The LS50s are fantastic and deserve all the great ratings. Excellent build, great sound with loads of separation, air, space etc... and good frequency extremes. Really liked their sound. They just looked awful in the lounge and needed a bit more space due to the rear port so fell down on aesthetic and pratical levels. Great product though.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
audiokid said:
The Petites are a decent speaker, but preferred the Harbeths. The Harbeths have a better mid range, a realistic level of detail and the sealed cabinet prodices more accurate bass than the ported neats.

The LS50s are fantastic and deserve all the great ratings. Excellent build, great sound with loads of separation, air, space etc... and good frequency extremes. Really liked their sound. They just looked awful in the lounge and needed a bit more space due to the rear port so fell down on aesthetic and pratical levels. Great product though.

Did you try using the bungs in the LS50s?

If you want something similar to the Harbeths but cheaper you could try Spendor.

TRENDING THREADS