Neat petite classic

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
After a bit of buying n selling the past couple of months, The Exposure 31010s2d has been moved on as has the mofi studio phono, replaced by the prima luna dialogue premium hp and project tubebox ds2 respectively , I'm now looking at the pmc's, I'm off to my dealer tomorrow for a listen to the new neat petite classic standmount speakers . I've read and heard some very positive comments on this new iteration of the tiny petite speaker that seems to have become a old favourite of many a enthusiast. Never heard any neat speakers previously so I'm very much looking forward to this trip.

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr
After a bit of buying n selling the past couple of months, The Exposure 31010s2d has been moved on as has the mofi studio phono, replaced by the prima luna dialogue premium hp and project tubebox ds2 respectively , I'm now looking at the pmc's, I'm off to my dealer tomorrow for a listen to the new neat petite classic standmount speakers . I've read and heard some very positive comments on this new iteration of the tiny petite speaker that seems to have become a old favourite of many a enthusiast. Never heard any neat speakers previously so I'm very much looking forward to this trip.
Will you be auditioning them with your amp??

Earlier this year I demoed Neat SX2 and Iota Alpha. Very impressive for their compact size: Well balanced and tonally spot on for my taste. Above all else they are fun. I guess the Petite will be the same.

Reactions: skinnypuppy71

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
No doubt you saw the 10 out of 10 review of the Neats.
You will be able to tell me how they compare with my twenty21 🙂👍
I did see that review Grey, but it was my dealer that put me onto them in the first place, I was asking about the Dali menuete se's but he was raving about those neats, and after a reply from Tarun @ a British audiophile whom advised that my listening position is just a tad too far for the menuets to perform at their best...so here I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
The neat petite classics sound absolutely superb, the bass that these little boxes can put out is unbelievable the mid-range and treble performance is just that more believable than my previous pmc twenty 21 and slightly less open or bright would be how most people would describe the pmc's top end but I'm not in that camp.lol. Had a bit of jazz playing on demo and the trumpet /tuba etc, you could just picture the artist blowing away on it, that air motion transformer (tweeter) is blindingly good....yeah I had to buy them....stilll running in but I can't even complain about the sound straight from the box, if you're in the market for a small standmount speaker in the 2k area....this standmount has to be on the list to dem.

The neat petite classics sound absolutely superb, the bass that these little boxes can put out is unbelievable the mid-range and treble performance is just that more believable than my previous pmc twenty 21 and slightly less open or bright would be how most people would describe the pmc's top end but I'm not in that camp.lol. Had a bit of jazz playing on demo and the trumpet /tuba etc, you could just picture the artist blowing away on it, that air motion transformer (tweeter) is blindingly good....yeah I had to buy them....stilll running in but I can't even complain about the sound straight from the box, if you're in the market for a small standmount speaker in the 2k area....this standmount has to be on the list to dem.
Nice one. They sound great: holographic with lashings of imaging.
(y)

Reactions: skinnypuppy71

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Nice one. They sound great: holographic with lashings of imaging.
(y)
Yes PP..I'm not very good at translating what I hear to text, but I think you might have nailed it..lol. I also noted that my volume doesn't quite need to be as high with the Neats compared to my twenty 21's, a lesser load and easier to drive, These speakers could possibly do quite well with sub 1k amplifiers....(although that'd be a unusual route to go when all's said and done)That probably doesn't sound significant to many people, but small standmount speakers over a grand tend to be pesky critters to drive well and usually demand amplifiers from 1.5 -2k for optimum performance.....IMHO..of course.

Last edited:
Yes PP..I'm not very good at translating what I hear to text, but I think you might have nailed it..lol. I also noted that my volume doesn't quite need to be as high with the Neats compared to my twenty 21's, a lesser load and easier to drive, These speakers could possibly do quite well with sub 1k amplifiers....That probably doesn't sound significant to many people, but small standmount speakers over a grand tend to be pesky critters to drive well and usually demand amplifiers from 1.5 -2k for optimum performance.....IMHO..of course.
When I demoed the SX2, the dealer didn't have any Petites in stock. They were very good sounding for a mini floorstander. Neat seem to do small-cabinet speakers well.

The main reason for not buying the SXs, the same reason why I've ignored PMC Twenty series: not keen on that tilt back look.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Yes PP..I'm not very good at translating what I hear to text, but I think you might have nailed it..lol. I also noted that my volume doesn't quite need to be as high with the Neats compared to my twenty 21's, a lesser load and easier to drive, These speakers could possibly do quite well with sub 1k amplifiers....That probably doesn't sound significant to many people, but small standmount speakers over a grand tend to be pesky critters to drive well and usually demand amplifiers from 1.5 -2k for optimum performance.....IMHO..of course.
When I demoed the SX2, the dealer didn't have any Petites in stock. They were very good sounding for a mini floorstander. Neat seem to do small-cabinet speakers well.

The main reason for not buying the SXs, the same reason why I've ignored PMC Twenty series: not keen on that tilt back look.
...well the petite classic are a straight up normal box (nearly) design....they do look very fetching in the white satin finish, but I needed the Black finish.

Reactions: plastic penguin

Gray

slightly less open or bright would be how most people would describe the pmc's top end but I'm not in that camp.lol.
I'm curious about that bit.
Most people would think the Neats were slightly more open and bright than PMC 21s, but you don't think that's the case?
Would you mind elaborating on that?
Why would most people think the Neats were more open and bright, if they're not?
(I presume you to be treating open and bright as negatives there?).

Last edited:

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Most people would think the Neats were slightly more open and bright than PMC 21s, but you don't think that's the case?
Why would most people be wrong in thinking that way?
....well that's a difficult question Grey as we all listen to different music and have different hearing variations....but what I can say is that listening to something that can go from a nice easy going mid range into a higher dynamic.... high range.....is easier on the ear on the Neats as opposed to the pmc's,...the details are still there on the Neat petite classic but just not open and airy......maybe as the pmc's....it's very difficult to put these types of nuance's into writing.....it really comes down to, you really got to go n listen for your self...I suppose that's why we have to go n dem..lol.

Why would most people think the Neats were more open and bright, if they're not?
(I presume you to be treating open and bright as negatives there?).
To be fair I struggle to convey certain sonic traits. Based on my limited experience, the SX and Iota Alphas are very open and transparent, yet the top end was controlled enough to avoid any brightness

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site

What did you think of the 3010s2?

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
What did you think of the 3010s2?
Loved it and would like to have another Exposure amp in the future. Once I had a good few A/B comparisons with that and the prima luna, there really wasn't much to separate them, only my lust to try....and...own a valve amp and the price ( with a full set of kt120 and el34 valves)was the deciding factor.....although it does sound very nice to boot with options of ultralinear or triode modes and tube rolling.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts