Neat Motive SX2 or Kudos X2

charlesrichardson

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
In a room 21ft long, 10ft wide, listening across the width, which speakers might be suitable. They have to be within 4 inches or so of the rear wall and cost no more than £1500 new. I would though consider buying used at around the same price.

I would possibly use them with a Naim XS based system that I could reaquire.

Suggestions please.

charlesrichardson said:
In a room 21ft long, 10ft wide, listening across the width, which speakers might be suitable. They have to be within 4 inches or so of the rear wall and cost no more than £1500 new. I would though consider buying used at around the same price.

I would possibly use them with a Naim XS based system that I could reaquire.

Suggestions please.

Sorry, I've no experience of these two first hand. I have read that Neat is a cracking match with Naim. By contrast, the Kudos, according to WHFI review, the top end can sound harsh (in the real world that may not be an issue, but...)

Can throw another into the ring? Totem Arros. Like your suggestions these are very compact, and have heard them with my amp, though not a Naim. Again have read some good things about that combo. Certainly worth an audition.

Apologies for being a little vague.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Derek Gilligan used to be one of the main engineers at Neat and has been at Kudos from about 2005. I suspect that this will lead to certain similarities.

I have heard that both work with Naim, but can't confirm.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
If you've got 1500 quid and not a lot of room but want floorstanders, check out Audio Physics Classic 10s if you can. I preferred them to the Neats (albeit on a different amp). I would recommend listening to each speaker with your amp then trial your favourites at home.

Speakers can make or break a system so buying blind is best avoided!

Although these aren't floorstanders,pmc twenty 21's that I currently use with a Naim xs really sound fantastic in close proximity to a wall and are around your budget,they may not reach the depths of the floorstanders but make up for it with excellent detail,rhythm and timing.Don't be fooled by the diminutive size of the babies of the twenty range.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
You need to demo both

Both fantastic speakers for the money

I demoed both the Neat Motive 2 (not SX2) against the Kudos X2 both at home - the Kudos just sounded nicer to me but not a lot in it.

You really need to get a home demo as they will sound different at the dealers demo room.

My Kudos driven by an Elicit R with ease - very happy with the results

D

Deleted member 108165

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Although these aren't floorstanders,pmc twenty 21's that I currently use with a Naim xs really sound fantastic in close proximity to a wall and are around your budget,they may not reach the depths of the floorstanders but make up for it with excellent detail,rhythm and timing.Don't be fooled by the diminutive size of the babies of the twenty range.

*good*

PMC DB1's here, on dedicated brackets and only 4" from the rear wall. I don't do really loud, (max. 80dB), but couldn't be happier *smile*

TRENDING THREADS